Port Site Soreness

Hi,

I was just banded on the 5th by Dr. Ortiz and I have been doing pretty good except for a REALLY sore port site. The incision sites seem to be feeling fine, only mild soreness but the port site is a whole different story. A few questions related to this......

Is this normal?

Is there any special care advised such as medicated creams or lotions?

How long will it take for this to feel better?

Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it.

John

Hi,

I was just banded on the 5th by Dr. Ortiz and I have been doing pretty good except for a REALLY sore port site. The incision sites seem to be feeling fine, only mild soreness but the port site is a whole different story. A few questions related to this......

Is this normal?

John

MY PORT IS ALSO A BIT SORE BUT EVERYDAY JUST SEEMS TO GET BETTER AND BETTER. BANDED AUG 17

EVERY MORNING AND EVENING I PUT A LITTLE NEOSPORIN ON THE INCISIONS, JUST BECAUSE.

It gets better. You're not even a week post-op, right? My port site was the WORST part of my procedure. Hurt from the minute I woke up, and still gets sore. If I sit for a long time, hunched over my computer keyboard, it still really hurts when I get up.

My doc says this is normal. They have to move a lot of muscle and tissue to make a "hold" for the port. Also, I don't know if Ortiz does this, but my doc sutured my port to some verticle tissues across my abdomen. Don't remember what they're called, but still hurts like a bitch when I sneeze.

I'm three weeks post op on Thursday. Still my sorest point is the port site. Hang in there!

My port site was sore for about 3 weeks after surgery - it takes the longest to heal. I watched a surgery when i was there in August and it all made sense to me then. They try to make the port incision as small as possible so your scar isn't too big. The port barely fits through it so they have to retract the skin while they are putting it in place and then stitching it down. By week 4 I expect you'll be a lot better. I ended up covering mine with a bandage because even my shirt brushing across my skin hurt sometimes.

Give your body some time to heal... even though you feel better quickly, its still surgery and your body needs time to recuperate.

• 9 months later...
My port site was sore for about 3 weeks after surgery - it takes the longest to heal. I watched a surgery when i was there in August and it all made sense to me then. They try to make the port incision as small as possible so your scar isn't too big. The port barely fits through it so they have to retract the skin while they are putting it in place and then stitching it down. By week 4 I expect you'll be a lot better. I ended up covering mine with a bandage because even my shirt brushing across my skin hurt sometimes.

Give your body some time to heal... even though you feel better quickly, its still surgery and your body needs time to recuperate.

Hello

I had the surgery one month ago and am still sore around the port area. Is that normal. I find it bugs me to bend over and if I touch the area it is very tender.

Hi,

Is this normal?

John

Hello

I had the surgery on June 11, 07 and am very sore around the port area too. It hurts when I bend and when I get up from a chair. Also tender to the touch. How long did it take for you to feel less soresness ?

busypen

It should be tolerable in another week or so and healed up 3-4 weeks out. I still feel it a little sometimes during strenuos acivity but for the mos part, it's not an issue. Good luck on the weight loss-that will help make everything better!