Dry Turkey, Dry Chicken, Dry Beef...OH MY!!

Okay, I was banded July 21st and just started on chewable food this week. I am not a cook. Most of my weight is a tribute to eating out every day...literally. So, I cooked a turkey burger in a pan with a little olive oil. It was dry. So, I tried a boneless, skinless, chicken breast. Again, dry. Tonight, I grilled a little cubed steak with veggies...dry. I haven't been able to finish any of it completely. My jaws give out before I'm full!! Any advice on EASY, 4 ingredient tricks to moisten this stuff up? Also, aside from tuna & salmon, what else is on a sashimi platter? Maybe this will be moister...it certainly can't be any drier!!

Thanks again for any advice.

Guest CaraMBA09
Okay, I was banded July 21st and just started on chewable food this week. I am not a cook. Most of my weight is a tribute to eating out every day...literally. So, I cooked a turkey burger in a pan with a little olive oil. It was dry. So, I tried a boneless, skinless, chicken breast. Again, dry. Tonight, I grilled a little cubed steak with veggies...dry. I haven't been able to finish any of it completely. My jaws give out before I'm full!! Any advice on EASY, 4 ingredient tricks to moisten this stuff up? Also, aside from tuna & salmon, what else is on a sashimi platter? Maybe this will be moister...it certainly can't be any drier!!

Okay...I worked my way through college for years in some of the best restaurants in college...(why do you think I am FAT?)

anything "LEAN" (I hate turkey meat) WILL not absorb anything. you can try buffalo meat..ground chicken is SOOO much tastier than turkey.

my favorite thing is to take a lb of chicken meat and saute that up with some chopped garlic (hey it is good for your heart and forces farts), add a packet of seasoning (taco), NO WATER...add a dash of olive oil. once cooked, add a can of pinto beans...

take a few spoonfuls of this and place in a CORN tortilla ( FLOUR TORTILLAS are deadly - fat, high calorie, etc). if you are JUST starting out, I suggest SKIPPING the tortilla...try the beans/chicken combo instead...I did this last year to get rid of my PRE-DIABETES...

My mother just died of diabetes last december at the age of 61

and I have two aunts with diabetes...all the women in my family are obese...I TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY...so

you might ask WHY am I getting surgery if this is HOW i have been eating for the past year?

I am LIVING proof at 5 ' 9 that maintaining LOW FAT, LOW CARB does not work if you are PRE-GENETICALLY DISPOSED TO DIABETES, OBESITY AND CANCER.

I am over 80lbs overweight and my waist is as wide as my height!

If I was any shorter..I would be more miserable than what I am.

Guest CaraMBA09
Okay...I worked my way through college for years in some of the best restaurants in college...(why do you think I am FAT?)

anything "LEAN" (I hate turkey meat) WILL not absorb anything. you can try buffalo meat..ground chicken is SOOO much tastier than turkey.

my favorite thing is to take a lb of chicken meat and saute that up with some chopped garlic (hey it is good for your heart and forces farts), add a packet of seasoning (taco), NO WATER...add a dash of olive oil. once cooked, add a can of pinto beans...

take a few spoonfuls of this and place in a CORN tortilla ( FLOUR TORTILLAS are deadly - fat, high calorie, etc). if you are JUST starting out, I suggest SKIPPING the tortilla...try the beans/chicken combo instead...I did this last year to get rid of my PRE-DIABETES...

My mother just died of diabetes last december at the age of 61

and I have two aunts with diabetes...all the women in my family are obese...I TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY...so

you might ask WHY am I getting surgery if this is HOW i have been eating for the past year?

I am LIVING proof at 5 ' 9 that maintaining LOW FAT, LOW CARB does not work if you are PRE-GENETICALLY DISPOSED TO DIABETES, OBESITY AND CANCER.

I am over 80lbs overweight and my waist is as wide as my height!

If I was any shorter..I would be more miserable than what I am.

grr someone add insight!...I am SO ripped apart about this

Get a slow cooker and slow cook your meats. Anything cooked on low for about 6-8 hours will be juicy and tender. Tonight for dinner I had chicken that had been slow cooked with taco seasoning and about a half cup of water. It was fall-apart juicy. If you don't have time for that, consider marinading or brining your meats for a few hours before cooking as that will also make things tender. Of course this does require a bit of prior planning on your part . . .

A slow cooker is perfect and a great idea for tender meat. Also, another trick that I have done and it works really well is to buy some skinless chicken breasts, put each one on a piece of tinfoil with seasoning and even some vegetables (I love to put onion on mine). Wrap it up in the foil and you can bake them this way. I usually put a bit of olive oil in as well or really anything that you can use to moisten (soy sauce, worchester, etc). I even used to buy 6-8 of them and freeze a couple and then you just have to cook it a bit longer. Very convenient if you do them all at once and very tasty and good for you. ;)

I was banded on the 22nd of July so im actually starting to cook and eat real food aswell. And I understand your frustration... its sometimes an effort to actually make something and then when it turns out DRY thats a huge disapointment... What i do is measure out 100grams of lean meat.. chicken or red meat

and soak it over night in natural yoghurt... its a natural tenderiser.. with the chicken i add a little tandori paste. The trick is to cook it on low heat and not to over cook it. I created a meatball reciepe and they are really yummy...and has about 23grams of protein per 100grams...

I freeze them in 100g serves and take them out as needed.. its helps with those days where i don't have the time to cook....Even the kids think they are great ;)

500g extra lean heart smart mince

1 grated carrot

2 tablespoons of salt reduced tomato paste

1 egg

3/4 cup of dry breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon of curry powder

1 teaspoon of mixed all spice

2 tablesoons of caramelised onions

2 tablespoons of worchestshire sauce

Salt and pepper

Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix.... then make them into small balls... i usually weigh the first ball to 50 grams then make them all the that size.

Then i place them all on non stick paper in the oven on around 150 degrees for about 30 minutes... There quick there yummy and i beleive low in fat and high in protein.

Goodluck :)

I LOVE Paul Newman's peach and pineapple salsas. They are not too hot, but soooooo delicious. If I find I am trying to eat some meat that is too dry, I just put some of this salsa on it. It is perfect, and very very good!

Hi there, I don't like to follow recipes so here is what I do. I only like my chicken moist and this works every time....

I buy a large package of chicken breasts at Sam's

remove all visable fat

place in a pot and fill with just enough water to cover chicken (you could add flavors if you want) I don't

bring to a boil and then COVER pot and do NOT lift cover for one hour.

put the breasts in a coverd container in the frig.

The good thing is that you can dress these up in many different ways to suit your taste, example:

for lunch try some mayo and cut up with greens

or I love mexican so cut up with salsa and low fat sour cream

try an italion version with some cheese and sauce

How about some of Paul Newmans light seasame ginger dressing on cut up chicken over bought shredded cabbage?

there are so many ways to get creative.

For me it makes such quick meals.

hope that helps

Hi there, I don't like to follow recipes so here is what I do. I only like my chicken moist and this works every time....

I buy a large package of chicken breasts at Sam's

remove all visable fat

place in a pot and fill with just enough water to cover chicken (you could add flavors if you want) I don't

bring to a boil and then COVER pot and do NOT lift cover for one hour.

put the breasts in a coverd container in the frig.

The good thing is that you can dress these up in many different ways to suit your taste, example:

for lunch try some mayo and cut up with greens

or I love mexican so cut up with salsa and low fat sour cream

try an italion version with some cheese and sauce

How about some of Paul Newmans light seasame ginger dressing on cut up chicken over bought shredded cabbage?

there are so many ways to get creative.

For me it makes such quick meals.

hope that helps

Maybe you are cooking the meats too long....I use my George Foreman grill and it makes nice moist meats every time. If things get a little too done it will dry out and then I have to whip out the ketchup or BBQ sauce! Here is a very easy chicken recipe and the meat falls right off the bone...you can use pork if you want

Chicken Adobo

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

Minced Garlic

Chopped Onions

Chicken pieces (I use boneless, skinless thighs) or Pork

Put this all into a skillet and bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes and then take the cover off and cook until the liquid thickens. This is very delicious and the meat will fall apart it is so juicy and flavorful! Bon Apetite!

I second the brining boneless skinless chicken!! Just Google "brining chicken" and you'll find tones of recipes.

Basically it's water, salt and a little sugar. You can let it brine in as little as 15 minutes to several hours. You don't want to leave it in too long. You really should pound the chicken so that the thickness is even. That way the thinner parts don't overcook while the thicker part is cooking.

Brining makes all the difference in the world!

Here's another recipe you might like. I'll bake some boneless skinless chicken then when

it cools slice it into strips. Take your favorite spaghetti sauce and pour some over the chicken to cover it. Throw on a little low fat mozzarella and low fat Parmesan cheese and bake it until the cheese melts and bubbles. Yum!

I also like it with salsa instead of the spaghetti sauce and low fat cheddar.

If you like beef, try a flat iron steak. A little salt and pepper and grill it or bake it or even fry it. It is a super tender cut of beef without a lot of fat.

Maybe you are cooking the meats too long....I use my George Foreman grill and it makes nice moist meats every time. If things get a little too done it will dry out and then I have to whip out the ketchup or BBQ sauce! Here is a very easy chicken recipe and the meat falls right off the bone...you can use pork if you want

Chicken Adobo

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

Minced Garlic

Chopped Onions

Chicken pieces (I use boneless, skinless thighs) or Pork

Put this all into a skillet and bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes and then take the cover off and cook until the liquid thickens. This is very delicious and the meat will fall apart it is so juicy and flavorful! Bon Apetite!

That sounds so yum... i will definately give that a go ;)