Age versus success rate

Most of the posting I have read are from individuals under the age of 50. In fact most seem to be in their 30s. I am 55 and am wondering the success of people in my age range or older who had the band. Is there any hope?

LCW

I too am 46. I think personally I know I have to work much harder it seems than when I lost weight when I was younger. Well maybe working harder isn't just it it's that it just takes longer, plain and simple. I am not anywhere near as active as I used to be for one thing but also the hormones play a role. Yes it can be done but plan on using alot of patience as part of the ingredient.

Hi I'm 47 and went through menopause at 35 and thats when things got weird, lots and lots of back fat and huge arms!!! And even now that I'm losing I still have lots of back fat and big huge arms, I need to work out more with weights. Also I was always a yo-yo dieter and by this point I would have started to gain it back and I think that is where the band has helped out, I know now I will keep it off.

I'm 49 and had my surgery in March. I have lost almost 30 pounds so far. I have been on a plaueau for the last 3 to 4 weeks and I will be going for my 2nd fill on Wednesday. I do not exercise like I should so I consider my weight loss to be pretty good considering my age and my activity level. I was never "thin" but after I had my children late (two sons at age 38/40) and went through menopause, I kept gaining and it just got harder and harder to lose weight and keep it off. I agree with everyone else who says, "it will take longer but we will get it done."

I'm 50, I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago and I've found that I don't lose weight like I did when I was 21, it's the same as in my 30's.

I always start off fast and slow down after the first 20 pounds.

The biggest difference between then and now is that I have no doubt in my mind that this time it will come off and stay off. I'm not so much in a hurry to take it all off fast because I know it's coming off.

I love my band!

I am 45 and credit most of my weight loss to-date to protein. I have been losing the recommend 2-3 weekly and so far I have been doing okay, slow and steady is good for me, I am willing to do it for however long it takes...and then I'm gonna get a tummy tuck!! LOL!!

I do think age plays a factor in weight loss and also if you are heavier to start, the weight may come off faster at first.

Best of Luck!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement I am really trying to get all the $$ and time together to see Dr. Ortiz. I have been trying to getinto a program here in Alberta for 5 years. This seems like it just might be the real thing. Congrats. to all you who are doing so well and sticking with it. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

Most of the posting I have read are from individuals under the age of 50. In fact most seem to be in their 30s. I am 55 and am wondering the success of people in my age range or older who had the band. Is there any hope?

LCW

I was almost 54 when I was banded and I don't regret anything. I just wish I would have done it 7 years ago when I first looked into banding. Back then it wasn't FDA approved here in the states yet.