Question for all banders with the larger VG band

I am just wondering how many cc's you have in your band and how many fills it took to get there.

I ask because I just had my 4th fill last wednesday and am now up to 8 cc's in my band. I still do not feel that tight. In fact, last night, I could have eaten a horse if I wouldn't have stopped myself. The doctor checked my band and said it was working and no leaks or anything and wasn't sure why I felt no restriction. In fact, she only wanted to give me 1/2 cc but I asked for more saying I only ever feel restriction for the first weeek after a fill then it goes away. She said that was due to swelling and wasn't sure why I still didn't feel restriction beyond that.

And I found out why she didn't pull all the saline out last time; it is because with the larger vg band, there isn't a syringe big enough to pull out all 8 cc's without using two or more and that would entail too much puncturing of my belly.

I hate coming on here and complaining all the time, but this really has me down in the dumps. I was banded back in March, lost 30 pounds and haven't lost anything since. I am trying very hard to diet on my own even without restriction but I can't help but be very VERY disappointed.

The doctor herself has a 10 cc band and is up to 7.75 and needs an unfill as it is too tight for her. She said she hasn't met anyone who had higher than her - until me.

I am beginning to wonder if they put the larger vg band in and shouldn't have. I did e-mail Dr. Ortiz about this and haven't heard back from him yet. I was banded by him and had my first 2 fills by Dr. Romero then Dr. So.

Hey Girl! I'm going for my second fill today. I've got 4-point-something in mine now.

It's funny how from week to week the restriction changes. Right now I have pretty good restriction during the day but not so much at night. I'm hoping a little bit more will do the trick.

Jena

I have the VG band and it over 21 months I had 9 fills up to 6.2 ccs. Since I'm trying out maintenance I'm now down to 5 ccs. You need to get good restriction, not the killer kind, but enough so you aren't hungry and you can only eat small amounts. If it doesn't work go back and have her add more. From what I’ve been told you can actually add up to 11 ccs in our VG bands.

Good luck, I know its hard getting to that sweet spot and the truth is with a VG band it does take longer. But you'll get there!

Lisa

And I found out why she didn't pull all the saline out last time; it is because with the larger vg band, there isn't a syringe big enough to pull out all 8 cc's without using two or more and that would entail too much puncturing of my belly.

That's not true, they make 10cc syringes, 20cc and even up to I think 30 cc ones. The larger syringes are a little trickier to work with though. Maybe they just don't stock larger ones, but they are available, or she is uneasy using this bigger barrel syringe as you have to pull on it a little harder to remove fluid. It's not like she has to do it one handed though. I'm stumped why she told you that.

Mona I feel your pain. After 10 weeks I have only lost 13 pounds. I am responsible for making some poor food choices earlier on but I have been true to it for quite awhile now. I do feel down by such slow weight loss but I have to take responsibility for my actions and poor choices. I know you have worked so hard at this and you must feel really down by this snails progress as you may see it. All I can say is just keep on keeping on and the weight will come off. Don't throw in the towel or feel as if you have failed in anyway. Any weight loss is better than weight gain so remember that. I know your sister lost quicker than you, I think, and this too I am sure plays with your mind. Just remember the snail wins the race, even though this isn't a race I just used that to remind you that this will happen for you too. How long have you been heavy? Your body is used to that and so it just may take longer. Period.

Buck up girl, it could be worse.

That's my version of tough love, LOL!!

Hi Mona,

I just got home from getting my fill and meeting with several of the folks from here for lunch.

I couldn't believe it but the scale said I have lost 12 pounds since my last fill about 4 weeks ago. Maybe it was a couple of weeks longer. Anyway, I just thought I might have lost 3 or 4 pounds.

Darlene got all but .1 cc out of my band! She put the 4.something back and added another 3.something. So I have a little over 7 cc's in mine.

I can really feel this more than the first fill. I had a little soup and frozen yogurt for lunch. I am drinking a bottle of Special K protein water right now and I absolutely cannot gulp it like I usually do. I know it's swollen, but I didn't have this sensation after the first one.

When you get your fill, does the doc use floro? I can see that my pouch is really small. Darlene mentioned it both times I was filled.

Hang in there girl! You'll get to the right spot. I think you've got a great attitude. You're being very aggressive making sure you get what you need. I've seen so many who get one or two fills and just give up when they aren't losing weight and never go back and get a fill.

With your determination to make it work I have no doubt at all that you will find that sweet spot.

I have the VG band. I've had three fills:

First Fill: May 23 (can't remember exact date) - OCC - 4.2 cc

Second Fill: June 22 - Roswell Fill Center - she got all my 4.2 back and filled me up to 7.6 cc

Third Fill: August 15 - Roswell Fill Center - she got back 7.4 and filled me up to 8.2 cc

I better be at my sweet spot, otherwise, I'm going to run out of capacity! I'm going to assume that my stomach itself is skinny! <laffin>

Hi Mona,

I just got home from getting my fill and meeting with several of the folks from here for lunch.

I couldn't believe it but the scale said I have lost 12 pounds since my last fill about 4 weeks ago. Maybe it was a couple of weeks longer. Anyway, I just thought I might have lost 3 or 4 pounds.

Darlene got all but .1 cc out of my band! She put the 4.something back and added another 3.something. So I have a little over 7 cc's in mine.

I can really feel this more than the first fill. I had a little soup and frozen yogurt for lunch. I am drinking a bottle of Special K protein water right now and I absolutely cannot gulp it like I usually do. I know it's swollen, but I didn't have this sensation after the first one.

When you get your fill, does the doc use floro? I can see that my pouch is really small. Darlene mentioned it both times I was filled.

Hang in there girl! You'll get to the right spot. I think you've got a great attitude. You're being very aggressive making sure you get what you need. I've seen so many who get one or two fills and just give up when they aren't losing weight and never go back and get a fill.

With your determination to make it work I have no doubt at all that you will find that sweet spot.

That's amazing Jena!!! You are doing fantastic!!!