Gifts to ourselves

I finally broke down and got a housekeeper. Yes I have pondered this for a few years now and many have suggested I get one. My house had gotten to the point it felt just plain filthy and clutter is/was everywhere. Not a countertop to be seen. I was so embarrassed if anyone would just stop by I would never let them in, feigning some excuse like I have a bug or something. It was depressing not only myself but I know if affected my husband. Deep inside he is the Felix Unger type, you know a place for everything and everything in it's place. Thank God he is also a very kind man and rarely would make negative comments to me about the state of the house, he knew I was struggling with many things. Now I am probably over dramatizing this somewhat and the state of the house was not quite as bad but you get the point. My husband works 12-14 hour days this time of year and he was doing the best he could to keep up. He did way more than I did to contribute to the household chores. Fibromyalgia keeps me from doing many , many things pleasant as well as the household drudgery of keeping it up. I grew up in a spotless household where I was taught at a young age "how to clean". May I inject here my mother was german and we would scrub on our hands and knees with toothbrushes almost everything down that low it seemed as a child anyway. For many years I upheld this standard within my own home. After she passed away 5 years ago I simply gave up. At the time I was living alone so it really didn't matter. Since I remarried 3 1/2 years ago though I had to start cleaning again so my now husband wouldn't be scared off because I new he was a keeper. Over the last year or so I have tried a few different cleaning services but really was not that thrilled with the results. I called this week and got an appointment 2 days ago and had a "deep" cleaning. Let me tell you it took 3 darling hispanic ladies 3 1/2 hours to dig this place out. But man did they work like little soldiers. At no time did I see any of them not working quickly and efficiently. I was just so thrilled I almost broke down crying. I could finally see the beauty under the filth of my brand new (remodeled) little house. My husband came home from being out of town and asked if he was in the right house. He wholeheartedly agrees to have them come every 2 weeks to maintain this place. I am thankful for the blessing of those cleaners and the ability to be able to pay for them. This was a good day.

This journey I have begun is far more than losing weight. It is about figuring myself out as well and realizing what I need to be happy, healthy and able to be a blessing to other people. I encourage you to treat yourself to something today!!

Hi Julie, that is a fabulous idea...I want one too!!!! With two growing boys. who can't seem to pick up after themselves, probably because I am always doing it?? I would love someone to just come in and do my laundry, the rest I could do. I am going to look into it on Monday.

Julie ><' Good for you!

I always remind myself that time is money or more specifically MY time is also worth money... so when I do something that costs and xtra little bit out of ease/convenience and saving time/energy I always think that I work for it so why not? I'm worth it.

YOU are abslutely worth it. The joy of having that burden off your back will do more than you can imagine.

That is awesome Julie. Removing stress from life will help you lose the weight and make you happier.

We have someone come every 2 weeks because I am not a housekeeper. Growing up, our house could never be clean enough for mom. So I have some warped personal thing about it. I am so glad we found a retired couple that we have used for about 8 years and they are like family now.

I will treat myself with a massage and new dress that does not fit, but will soon!!!

I buy new clothes!! Went shopping Thursday and bought all size 12 pants and size medium shirts! Woo-hoo!!

Oh a housekeeper sounds DIVINE!!!! I am soo jealous, I never thought of that one.