Band and Xenical

gaterG

Remind me what Xenical is and perhaps I can answer.

I don't see that it would affect the band at all, but I AM confused about why you would want to take that, if you have a band. If you have a band, and are not losing weight, you should get another fill. I took Xenical years ago to try to lose weight, and it was a NIGHTMARE. I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE. That stuff is NASTY. LOL

But, to answer your question...I would think it would pass right on through the band, and go to work in your stomach/intestines, as it is designed to do. So, it shouldn't do anything at all to the band. My only other concern is....with the limited amount of food you are consuming (assuming you have an adequate fill) you probably would need to absorb everything you can from what you are eating. I guess I just don't see the benefit.

Hope this helps!

Donna

I have to agree with Donna, why would you want to use it. The band is a tool and if you choose foods wisely, should be all you would need to lose weight.

I had considered Xenical in the past, but heard horror stories about how you are constantly experiencing diarrhea and no thanks!

It probably would not hurt the band, but it could potentially give you a very sore bum!

I tried Xenical years ago and my experience was not a good one either!!!! Couldn't control anything down south!!! Yuck!

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify, yeah I probably do need a fill and should not consider the Xenical. I think I’m just about there with the food restriction, and my food choices are reasonably good too.

I was on Xenical before by Band op - And yes I suffered all those dreaded side effects ( I basically eat too much fat in my diet and boy did I suffer :rolleyes: !) The reason I was asking is that I’m struggling to finance the fills at the moment ( loooong disaster story with my first Band and the aftercare package). I had a few packets of Xenical left over and as my diet has now improved, I thought I could use them up to maximum effect , just until I can get than band filled again.

thanks again,

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify, yeah I probably do need a fill and should not consider the Xenical. I think I’m just about there with the food restriction, and my food choices are reasonably good too.

I was on Xenical before by Band op - And yes I suffered all those dreaded side effects ( I basically eat too much fat in my diet and boy did I suffer :rolleyes: !) The reason I was asking is that I’m struggling to finance the fills at the moment ( loooong disaster story with my first Band and the aftercare package). I had a few packets of Xenical left over and as my diet has now improved, I thought I could use them up to maximum effect , just until I can get than band filled again.

thanks again,

I definitley understand where you are coming from! My fills WERE extremely expensive as well. I also got to the point where I wasn't losing, and just couldn't afford to keep getting fills that were basically doing nothing for me. It is SOOOOO frustrating! I had some Cambridge diet product on hand, and thought I would do that in the meantime. That didn't last one day! LOL

If I were you, I'd just try to count calories, and maybe add a few more minutes of exercise until I could afford a fill. I'm assuming your cost for fills is coming out of pocket. Have you exhausted all your options for doctors that will do fills? It never hurts to call all the bariatric centers in your area, just to see if they will do a fill, and find out what they charge. Sometimes you might find a doctor that will do it cheaper. Also, if you have been having fills with fluoro, (which is way MORE expensive) think about having an experienced doctor that does blind fills to do it. This is usually a cheaper route.

I got lucky because my cousin who is an RN has started doing fills, and she does mine now. For the FIRST time since I got banded, I finally have restriction. REAL restriction. I cannot tell you what a difference it makes! Hang in there, and try not to get discouraged. This band is ALL you need to lose weight, and with proper adjustments...you WILL.

Good luck!

Donna

That makes sense now. If you have used it in the past you know it's effects. I also don't think it would hurt your band a all as it just goes into the larger stomach and does it thing. You may just want to call the OCC to be sure though. They probably won't recommend you take it but just to know if it would hurt the band in any way because we are not the doctors. After consulting with them than you can make an educated decision about what choice to make regarding the use of this.

Best of luck to you, it sounds like you've been put through the wringer...when you mention your "first band and the aftercare pkg".

Thanks again - yeah I’ve tried calling around and some are definitely more expensive than others.

I kind of lost faith for a while (after my first Op failed) - but I'm back on the wagon now. I really want to get the next fill under X-ray. I think this will give me some peace of mind that all is ok.

Some times i feel i can eat far too much for having a Band fitted, other times if i maybe eat too quickly, without thinking, my food gets stuck and can feel very uncomfortable. I'm just a bit confused ( maybe worried ) that it's not working right.