UGH...another possible setback!

I just found out today from my orthopaedic doc that I have a torn meniscus that he is going to have to repair with surgery. This has been a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG process in that I fell over a year and 1/2 ago and have gone to 4 orthopaedic docs and have had 2 MRI's of my left knee. At times I have thought i was crazy since I can barely walk. Well FINALLY my most recent doc has found it and I go in day after tomorrow to find out what his plans are. I am freaking out because I am now only 10 days out from getting my band and am wondering what you guys think I should do. Should I go ahead and have the surgery on my knee and go to OCC with my leg bandaged up, or should I wait til after my banding to have the surgery and go with the bum knee? I've been dealing with it for a year and 1/2 and apparently a piece has broken off and is now loose in there and it hurts like crazy...but i just don't know what to do. My other option would be to put my banding off another week or 2...but I really don't want to do that either...Has anyone ever had an arthroscopic knee surgery and can tell me how long it will be til I can get around again?

Thanks guys! :lb12:

I would ask both Dr. Ortiz and your orthopedic surgeon about what order to have the surgeries in.

I just found out today from my orthopaedic doc that I have a torn meniscus that he is going to have to repair with surgery. This has been a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG process in that I fell over a year and 1/2 ago and have gone to 4 orthopaedic docs and have had 2 MRI's of my left knee. At times I have thought i was crazy since I can barely walk. Well FINALLY my most recent doc has found it and I go in day after tomorrow to find out what his plans are. I am freaking out because I am now only 10 days out from getting my band and am wondering what you guys think I should do. Should I go ahead and have the surgery on my knee and go to OCC with my leg bandaged up, or should I wait til after my banding to have the surgery and go with the bum knee? I've been dealing with it for a year and 1/2 and apparently a piece has broken off and is now loose in there and it hurts like crazy...but i just don't know what to do. My other option would be to put my banding off another week or 2...but I really don't want to do that either...Has anyone ever had an arthroscopic knee surgery and can tell me how long it will be til I can get around again?

Thanks guys! :lb12:

Hey Vix... i totally agree with Blazn about checking with the Dr about what order to have the surgeries in... Ive had arthroscopic knee surgery and the recovery time can be different for everyone... but i remember i was still able to get around quite easy just after the surgery just a little slower! Goodluck and keep us updated.

I also agree with blazn. Check with your Dr's and see what they say. Good luck! ><'

Well, I have been thinking about this all afternoon and had forgotten that I have already bought my airline tickets, which aren't going to be able to change, so I think I will just go ahead with my banding and gimp around and then do the other surgery as soon as I get back. I guess that the gas is going to get me for sure since I surely won't be able to walk much...;( Oh well, I am not going to let this get me down...I am so excited about getting the band and also them finding out what has been wrong with me for the past year and 1/2 that I am not going to let anything depress me. ^_^

Well, I have been thinking about this all afternoon and had forgotten that I have already bought my airline tickets, which aren't going to be able to change, so I think I will just go ahead with my banding and gimp around and then do the other surgery as soon as I get back. I guess that the gas is going to get me for sure since I surely won't be able to walk much...;( Oh well, I am not going to let this get me down...I am so excited about getting the band and also them finding out what has been wrong with me for the past year and 1/2 that I am not going to let anything depress me. ^_^

Vix, I feel bad about your situation. You have really had quite the ride just to get to this point. I am scheduled for surgery the same day as you (aug. 29th.) So hopefully I will see you there. I hope your knee is okay. I think that you know your body best and what you can and can't handle so I would say to go with your gut, although running it past your doc won't hurt just to get a different perspective.

Good for you for making this decision. As you said your knee has been bad for over 1 year and just because they finally diagnosed it correctly does not mean you have to rush in and get the surgery. If it were me I would choose the band before the knee for sure. And don't worry about the gas, that's what phazyme, gas-x strips and the like are for also. And remember only about 50% of patients get any bad gas pain so you'll be fine. :good:

Jessica ~ I'm sure we will meet there! I am so happy to hear that someone from here will be there that day. We can support each other for sure!

Julie ~ I had pretty severe gas with my 2 C-sections, but I know each situation is different, so we'll see. I don't care really...I will live with it just to be able to be banded. The pain of gas can't possibly be as bad as the pain of being fat! And, you are right about having lived with my knee for all this time. Again, I can live with pain a bit longer just to start losing this fat sooner! :D

Hi Vix, glad you made the decision. Actually it will be much easier to recover from your knee surgery with some weight off, I know when my mother-in-law was scheduled for knee surgery, her surgeon advised her to lose some weight which would make the recovery much easier. So you are doing the right thing!! Best of luck!!