Pre-admissions test

Yesterday I went for my pre-admssions test with my general doctor.....I kind of felt like she was deterring me from doing this but I can see that she wanted me to be very sure. Last year my mom died of cancer and I took her death as best as I could. I immediatley went to the doctor so I can go on depression meds because I was anticipating on being depressed.....well the meds made me insane and I ended up cutting myself off because I didnt want to live like that anymore, long story short when I saw her yesterday she said to me that she was concerned because people who go through bariatric surgery go into depression because of the change of lifestyle...that I may go into depression because I'm missing out on food. Has anyone gone through depression of "missing food"?

That's an interesting question. I found I was extremely moody but I am also going through menopause so I wasn't sure if that was what was causing it or not. You could get some counseling either via professional or perhaps read a book or two to get some extra coping strategies. Someone a while back posted on this website that they were going to get some personal counseling and I thought it was a great idea. Having said all that I haven't done it myself yet but I plan to. I do eat to manage my frustrations so I need to find a healthy way to deal with things. Some of the folks here use exercise which is of course one of the very best options. Good luck kiddo, I am sure you will do just fine.

I am only 4 months out as of tomorrow and I can honestly say I don't feel depressed over any food I've had to give up. My absolute favorite is pizza, I could eat it morning, noon and night...but I know what it will do to me if I over indulge...or rather TRY to over indulge. The band keeps me in check. I can still eat pizza, 1 slice and slowly. But it's still not a healthy choice for me. You will find that as you lose your weight, you start to feel powerful in choices. You start to feel in control. Yes, there are some things you might still want, but you make the decision not to have them. AND that feeling is awesome. Occasionally I miss a fountain diet soda... maybe it's the fizz, but there are so many other healthy, delicious choices out there, I don't dwell on what I can't have.

Sorry to hear about your mom. There is nothing in this world like a mom. I lost mine 8 years ago, just months before my wedding. She would be proud of you taking control of your life and no doubt would support your efforts. Be happy!

Good luck

Barb

long story short when I saw her yesterday she said to me that she was concerned because people who go through bariatric surgery go into depression because of the change of lifestyle...that I may go into depression because I'm missing out on food. Has anyone gone through depression of "missing food"?

Yes I sure did. I called it my food withdrawal time. It has finally gotten better but it was a tough adjustment. I am at 11 weeks now and finally am not mourning the loss of food and the large amounts I used to eat. I am embracing what I can eat and happy to be losing again.

I have the most incredible friends and they always remind me that I'm going to be much happier and making food sacrifices is a necessity to maintain a healthy weight. I need to reprogram my brain and eat the veggies and fruit. I actually lost 30 pounds on my own since Feb, but I know it will creep back into my body because it always does. I'm so looking foward to this, on august 29th my life is going to change!

So sorry to hear about your Mom.

Depressed no, I was very emotional on day three of my pre-op diet. I was banded in Canada and had to go on 4 shakes per day (no food) for two weeks, I cried that day uncontrollably, but after that I was fine.

After surgery, I was not depressed or moody at all. When I saw the numbers going down on that scale and my clothes getting bigger, I was feeling great about myself.

I think if you are truly ready to make the comittment to change your life and willing to take on whatever is asked of you by the surgeon and follow the plan, you should not dive into a depression. Not to say that it won't be difficult at times, it will be, but if you look at it with a positive attitude you can make it through.

Surround yourself with positive and supportive people, they are my rock!!

Best of Luck!!

I can't say that I have felt depressed. Everyone is right, once you start losing consistently and feel like you have control, you feel good about yourself. Sometimes I do indulge, as long as the band lets me, and then before I get too wild I just ask myself if I really want to undo the hard work etc... I think it's silly for a doctor to tell you that. Sure, some people might feel depressed. But to suggest it ahead of time is a little weird. I bet if you did a poll most people would say once they started losing and working with the band, they feel better than ever!!! mentally and physically.