blood sugar staying around 180

Hi, I am 20 days post-op. Still sticking with the post-op diet until the very last second. I had blood sugar issues prior to my surgery. But I was able to keep control without medications. My A1C number was on the high side of normal. Since my surgery my blood sugar has soared to 180 and I can not get it to go down. I feel SO tired. My doctor put me on Metformin on Monday. I have had 2 doses and my blood sugar is still not moving.

Any insight, suggestions or anything?

Does high blood sugar make you feel really sleepy?

Did anyone else experience this after surgery?

Amy

Call your doctor. You could easily take 1 more metformin to get things moving, but that's up to him to prescribe for you. And yes the sleepiness is form abnormal blood sugars as well as your surgery and the healing process. Some people experience out of control blood sugars for while after a surgical procedure. Now I am only a nurse but I do/did take metformin for 5 years. I am no diabetes expert though.

I hope this matter settles down , literally for you.

I just emailed my doctor to see what she wants to do. I was just in there on Monday for blood pressure and blood work. So maybe they have the results already. With the weird diet, I guess there a lot of things that could make me tired. I just want to go home & go to bed so bad. I can barely focus at the office.

So I emailed my doctor. My blood work from Monday shows that my potassium levels are low. SO she ordered me a supplement for it.

I highly recommend getting your blood work done 2 weeks after surgery and may monthly afterwards. My doctor wants to see me monthly for now. But I have a lot of medications that I am hoping to come off.