5 days to go....

I only have 5 days to go before banding, and I'm getting through the preop diet fine and have only 4 pounds to lose of the goal that Dr. Miranda gave me so I think I will make it. But, my original fears have started to creep back to the back of my mind. I'm starting to worry about pain and this is really getting to me. I am trying really hard to be strong around my husband since that was one of his concerns about my doing this, that I would be in pain...so I guess you guys get to hear my worries. I'm just so worried about being in pain the day after and then flying home. I know some people have said that they didn't have pain at all and then I just read on here where another person was in pain for several days. I know pain is subjective, but I know the power of the mind and I am just concerned that maybe I am talking myself in to pain. One of my unusual problems is that I am allergic to almost all pain medications. I can't take oxycontin, percodan, vicodin, codeine, darvon or darvocet. The only pain medications I can take are morphine (which I KNOW is too strong for this surgery), toradol (which is really hard on your kidneys I guess) and tramadol (but since tramadol is the only thing that I can use easily, I am almost immune to it). I'm just starting to let the fear get to me I guess...;(

Just remember that the pain is very minimal. I hurt a little the first day just around my port site. I couldn't lay on my sides or my stomach. The worst pain for me was the trapped gas on the plane ride home. It is miserable when you are confined to those tiny seats and you are having those intense gas pains.

You are gonna be just fine. I am pretty sure they give you Tramadol at the OCC. It didn't touch me at all. It's a good thing I didn't really need any pain meds.

I was banded on August 4th, I was a bit worried about being in pain, and i am a big Baby. I was happy that after the surgery i was in almost no PAIN it's mostly discomfort and soreness, that was almost gone after week 1.

Week 2 was way better just sore on my left side around the port insision.

Week 3 im 98% ok everything is back to normal, and for the most part i feel great.

As for the gas pains, be sure to take GAS X strips they sell them at wal-mart they worked wonders for me. And last they tell you to walk alot, this really helps especially when you get the gas pains going up your shoulder , just walk ,walk ,walk i did for about 15 minutes on the treadmill and the pain went away.

I wish you the best of LUCK on your surgery, and i hope for a quick and painless recovery.

Today is the last day of my Full liquid diet and i have lost 34Lbs, So it was well worht the discomfort.

Jeanette

Hi Vix,

Being scared is normal, I was very nervous and even cried in the pre-op waiting room (by myself). I get anxiety about anesthetic and think too much. Try not to think too much, the pain is manageable and I got morphine pills, so if you need them, ask for them!!

Take a deep breath and try not get yourself worked up...it will be over in no time...I can't believe it's been 2.5 months since my surgery. The best thing I ever did for myself, I look in the mirror and see a different person transforming, it's an amazing feeling!!

We will be thinking about you, keep in touch!!! Safe travels!!

Hello Vix:

I totally understand your fears. I am a "wimp" when it comes to pain and with fibromyalgia all pain is perceived in the brain as worse than for the normal person. I have/had taken oxycontin for years to combat pain and now it's like candy to me and I don't use it. Nothing really works for my pain either. For me I just blocked it out of my mind that it was going to hurt, hard but true, and expected to feel fine after surgery. Much to my amazement I was out of surgery in 1/2 hour and up walking the halls as soon as I was out. There is no way you'll be totally relieved until you wake up and are not in any severe pain. Truly discomfort at most is what I would call it, and then not much. On a 0 to 10 pain scale it was maybe a 2-3 for me at it's worst. Heck I have days that my health problems give me an 8 out of 10 on the pain scale!

This is what I have read for months now on how the majority of folks feel. Yes there are exceptions but not many. They give you toradol, not tramadol as Kim mentioned and will address any pain issues and med allergies you have. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip and don't let these last few days be full of anxiety, relax and look forward to the mini vacation you get to have.

I was banded on August 4th, I was a bit worried about being in pain, and i am a big Baby. I was happy that after the surgery i was in almost no PAIN it's mostly discomfort and soreness, that was almost gone after week 1.

Week 2 was way better just sore on my left side around the port insision.

Week 3 im 98% ok everything is back to normal, and for the most part i feel great.

As for the gas pains, be sure to take GAS X strips they sell them at wal-mart they worked wonders for me. And last they tell you to walk alot, this really helps especially when you get the gas pains going up your shoulder , just walk ,walk ,walk i did for about 15 minutes on the treadmill and the pain went away.

I wish you the best of LUCK on your surgery, and i hope for a quick and painless recovery.

Today is the last day of my Full liquid diet and i have lost 34Lbs, So it was well worht the discomfort.

Jeanette

WOW Jeanette that's really good! 34 pounds is great. I was banded August 18th and the post op diet has been extremely hard. I know it's just for 21 days but how did you make it????

Vix, I can honestly say I didn't have any pain. Period. I was very very tired and still am, but no pain. I was banded August 18th and flew home (all day in airports watching people eat personal pan pizza's) to Texas. I took Phazyme and started taking it immediately after my surgery. By the time I got on the plane I didn't have any gas. Good Luck!

I only have 5 days to go before banding, and I'm getting through the preop diet fine and have only 4 pounds to lose of the goal that Dr. Miranda gave me so I think I will make it. But, my original fears have started to creep back to the back of my mind. I'm starting to worry about pain and this is really getting to me. I am trying really hard to be strong around my husband since that was one of his concerns about my doing this, that I would be in pain...so I guess you guys get to hear my worries. I'm just so worried about being in pain the day after and then flying home. I know some people have said that they didn't have pain at all and then I just read on here where another person was in pain for several days. I know pain is subjective, but I know the power of the mind and I am just concerned that maybe I am talking myself in to pain. One of my unusual problems is that I am allergic to almost all pain medications. I can't take oxycontin, percodan, vicodin, codeine, darvon or darvocet. The only pain medications I can take are morphine (which I KNOW is too strong for this surgery), toradol (which is really hard on your kidneys I guess) and tramadol (but since tramadol is the only thing that I can use easily, I am almost immune to it). I'm just starting to let the fear get to me I guess...;(

Vix, you can do this. I don't think there will be a lot of pain based on what everyone says. Don't worry.

I had discomfort but no pain. Can you take Tylenol or Advil? I think that would work just as well for the discomfort. That's what I took before the plane ride home and it helped. The meds they give you at the OCC made me sleepy, so I took them before bed and rested comfortabley. You'll do fine, I promise!! ><'

I was scared too. The day I left I was thinking in my head"What the hell am I thinking. Going to Mexico to have surgery". My hubby told me when I got there if anything did not jive just to turn around and go home. He too was afraid for me. I got there and everything was just like the board said. One thing that helped me was the day I checked in I saw those who where checking out. They all came out and said how it was so easy and could not believe how good they felt concidering they just had surgery. That made me feel so much better and put me at ease. The next day when I was checking out I looked at all the nervous faces in the lobby all there faces said" What the hell am I thinkng". I went out there in my best blue moo-moo and said Hi. I told them all just how easy it was and not to worry. Julie here on the forum was one of those girls. Hopefully someone will do that for you and you too can turn around the next day and pass it on. I did take my pain killers because I had them but could have done without them. I would have done the surgery every week to skip the 3 weeks of liquids though. I hated the 3 weeks of liquids, but I did it and made it to tell the story. You will be great.

I told them all just how easy it was and not to worry. Julie here on the forum was one of those girls. Hopefully someone will do that for you and you too can turn around the next day and pass it on.

I remember to this day how much this made an impression on me. Dawn you were the talker of the wonderful 3 ladies who came out. I did feel way more at ease although I wasn't rally nervous. I never got nervous or worried except for the IV start!! For some reason I felt protected and was just excited to move into a new phase of life. I'll reiterate that I too did not have pain, such a surprise. You can tell me something won't hurt until you are blue in the face and I won't believe it but please for your own sake, folks banded at the OCC rarely experience any more than mild discomfort, I swear on it!! The gas is a different kind of "discomfort" though and it can be handled also. I did not stay the night at the clinic and changed my flight home to the next day after surgery I was feeling so not how I though I would feel. Yes I was tired and rested for 3-4 days at home. I am a nurse in the hospital and went to work on day 6 after surgery. My job can be unpredictable(labor and delivery) and I need to be able to move quickly in an emergency so for the patients safety I stayed home an extra day to ensure I was back on track. Now a desk job would have been different.

Once again Dawn thank you for reasurring my group before our procedures, it meant the world to me!!

WOW Jeanette that's really good! 34 pounds is great. I was banded August 18th and the post op diet has been extremely hard. I know it's just for 21 days but how did you make it????

[/q

Thanks.

It was hard at times, but every time i weigh myself it keeps me going. Monday I started solid foods, and im so scared to eat anything.i just take a few bites and thats it. Also i make sure to drink lots of water. I get my first fill on Sept 16, So every step is new to me, Im glad i can talk to people on here, it let's me know what i can expect, so there's no surprises.Just remember it does get easier. I try to tell myself that when everthing is done it will all be worth it.

Good Luck

Vix, I can honestly say I didn't have any pain. Period. I was very very tired and still am, but no pain. I was banded August 18th and flew home (all day in airports watching people eat personal pan pizza's) to Texas. I took Phazyme and started taking it immediately after my surgery. By the time I got on the plane I didn't have any gas. Good Luck!

What part of Texas are you from?

Jeanette

You all are so wonderful! I was thinking the other day after reading an experience of a lady who had her banding somewhere else that perhaps the OCC patients experience less pain because the docs there have done so many that they don't have to poke around as much and are gentler because they know that it will make a difference in the pain afterwards. I dunno if this makes sense or not, but I'm going to think of it this way and it will be easier for me...lol

That is exactly how I would look at it. I am considering driving to Flagstaff to get a fill and was reviewing the doctor's stats. He has done 200 surgeries! Dr Ortiz has done over 6000! That is a huge difference. After looking at those numbers I would feel much better about Dr. Ortiz and the OCC!

you are going to be fine. The surgery took 20 minutes total and that was with fixing a hernia.