OMG - I fainted today!

Ok, so I have done really well since being banded! Felt like I was eating pretty good with the occasional slip-up. Well I started my pediatric rotation last week and we went in to see our first patient today and I started feeling nauseated. Then I became a little diaphoretic and the room started spinning. But I propped up against a wall and thought to myself...."Ok self, you are getting a virus, you need to go to the bathroom, do whatever (not sure which kinda virus it was going to be yet, if you know what I mean) and then go home."

That's all she wrote! I woke up not sure how long later but not long at all. I passed out!! Cold!! What the crap? Well we checked my blood sugar (which I was sure was fine - I had a protein bar for breakfast) - it was 101. I was helped into another room (keep in mind there is a mom, dad, and small child in the room I just passed out in) and I called my hubby to come get me and take me home. Well I'm home now and I have a headache and a small bump on my forehead but other than that fine. But I have diagnosed myself. My blood pressure bottomed out. When I was 50lbs heavier my blood pressure was always like 140s/90s so my MD started me on HCTZ (which is a water pill but it helps with BP). Well since losing the weight my BPs have been 120s/80s - which by JNCVII standards (the people who stage hypertension) that is still pre-hypertensive (the 80s part). So I said well I'll cut my pill back and take 1 every other day. Well I took my BP Friday and it was 109/73 - perfect!! Really, it's not low, it's perfect! So I skipped my pill Friday and Saturday and took one yesterday afternoon. It is also that time of the month so I figured I was carrying a little extra fluid anyway - so what the heck? Well you know the rest of the story.

Not trying to scare any of you just wanted to point out to make sure you are following up on these things. Drink plenty of fluids (which I am guilty of not doing)! If you are a diabetic - watch your blood sugar - it may level out one of these days! If you are hypertensive - watch those BPs.

How scary that must have been! Get you some rest..I hope that doesn't happen again.

Wow, that must have been scary. I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad you are alright. Get your rest today and you should be fine. Ever since starting this new lifestyle change, I can totally tell when my blood sugar is low and I need something. I'm not diabetic, but I can still tell. It's amazing what our bodies tell us constantly....Feel better and get some rest today!

Denise

Thank you all for your sympathy and concern but I'm fine. I am about to go grill me some chicken - getting a little hungry. But I mainly posted this to warn everyone about the meds and keeping a watch on these things.

That's scarey, I hope you feel better soon...it's a good thing you are nurse and know these things!!

Well although I am a nurse sometimes when it's you or your family you seem to down play things and overlook other things so I am considering this a lesson learned.

I hope you feel better soon. Maybe no more hctz for you.....

I think you're right!!!

That is one of my fears. My work is very busy and non-stop, but if I get hungry you betcha I eat! :) But with the band I do have a fear that if i'm not hungry time will pass by and I will forget to eat. I'll have to be really aware of my schedule and make sure I eat.

Hey Misty, just wanted to see if you are feeling better ;)

Yes, I am - thanks for asking. Needless to say I have not taken my HCTZ since Sunday and I took my BP today and it was 116/69. :D So, I am almost positive that my BP bottoming out is the reason for me fainting Monday. But I am doing great and I go back to clinical tomorrow. Maybe things will go a little better this time.