Gastic bypass

Hi there, no the diet plan is completely different. They actually get to eat more and sooner than banded patients. I am assuming that their new digestive system plays a role in the faster weight loss.

My friend has the duodenal switch surgery (similar to gastric bypass) performed one week before my surgery and to-date she has lost 100 lbs. However, she was also hospitalized for 6 weeks due a stomach infection as a result of this surgery.

I researched both and here in Ontario, Canada, we have provincial coverage for Gastic Bypass, I opted for the band and paid for it myself (15K). I absolutely refused to have such an evasive procedure, only to have it fail years down the road.

The difference being, that once you've had the Gastic bypass and your stomach pouch is smaller, you will lose weight, but gradually over time, if you overeat and stretch it, there is no means to reduce it again. With the band, we have fills to tighten things up when the band gets lose due to weight loss or a slight stretch.

I hope this helps answer your question.

With the gastric bypass they actually reroute your intestines so that the food does not stay in your system as long so you lose weight faster. With gastric bypass you have a more evasive surgery with higher risk of complications. In addition you have dumping syndrome (google it...its not fun). In addition it is easier to suffer from malnutrition with gastric bypass because the food basically goes right through you. You can restretch out your pouch also and regain all of your weight (check out Carnie Wilson's experience).

Bottom line..

You will lose weight faster with gastric bypass but with higher risk.

Erin

People who have gasrtic bypass do not absorb their calories and we do. That makes a huge difference!

The Gastric bypass is a two part surgery. One is restriction in the new smaller stomach pouch, the second part is lack of absorption due to the re-routing of the intestines. When a GB patient eats, there food is in and out of the body much faster because it skips the large intestines and goes straight to the small ones. Therefore, less calories can be absorbed. We only get the restriction part. But with much much less complications. Our surgery is revearsable, theirs is not. My friend had the gastric bypass and it turned into 6 sugeries over 1 year due to all the complications. The gastric bypass in so much more invasive and they are permantly changing your "guts" around. And those patients can eat "around" there surgery too. My same friend started at 325 and lost down to 150. But at about 2 years post op, she weighed 215 again. That is why I did not want to do the Gastric bypass. I thought, screw that. 6 surgeries and she's back to being in the Obese catagory. Not worth it. If you take a lapband patient and a GB patient and look at them one year post op, usually the GB patient will have lost more, but look at them again at the 2 year mark and research says they are about the same. We just lose weight slower, but with less complications and side effects.

Guest CaraMBA09
The Gastric bypass is a two part surgery. One is restriction in the new smaller stomach pouch, the second part is lack of absorption due to the re-routing of the intestines. When a GB patient eats, there food is in and out of the body much faster because it skips the large intestines and goes straight to the small ones. Therefore, less calories can be absorbed. We only get the restriction part. But with much much less complications. Our surgery is revearsable, theirs is not. My friend had the gastric bypass and it turned into 6 sugeries over 1 year due to all the complications. The gastric bypass in so much more invasive and they are permantly changing your "guts" around. And those patients can eat "around" there surgery too. My same friend started at 325 and lost down to 150. But at about 2 years post op, she weighed 215 again. That is why I did not want to do the Gastric bypass. I thought, screw that. 6 surgeries and she's back to being in the Obese catagory. Not worth it. If you take a lapband patient and a GB patient and look at them one year post op, usually the GB patient will have lost more, but look at them again at the 2 year mark and research says they are about the same. We just lose weight slower, but with less complications and side effects.

Gastric Bypass is NO walk in the park. an old classmate of mine had one at the age of 34...it nearly killed her. She has to actually go into surgery again to fix a part of the intestine that got rerouted and is afraid she will nearly die again.

I will take a band anyday!

I totally agree, my friend had a major stomach infection which resulted in 3 additional surgeries and 6 weeks in hospitial. She had her gastic bypass surgery on May 29th, was home for 10 days and then was rushed into the hospital, she just got out this past Friday. She has a pump in her incision to ensure the infection does not re-occur. She has to have this in for 2 more months...I would do the band all over again, before having to endure what she went through!!!!