i feel like i know you but you don't know me

Hi Everybody,

I've been logging on to this site for quite awhile now but not really sharing anything about myself. I have been thinking about being banded for about a year now and I am finally going for it--Sept. 11. I am a low BMIer who has been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember. Diets just don't work and I am tired of being overweight so I am going to take the plunge into bandworld. I am getting a little nervous though which I know is normal. I am most nervous about PBing. My husband and I go out to nice dinners a lot and I'm so afraid that this will happen in a nice restaurant with friends and I will gross everyone around me out. How much food actually comes up? Is there anyway to hide it? What if I carried a handkerchief and I spit the food into it? Do you think that would work? One of the things that I like so much about this site is that people seem to feel free to talk about issues that they otherwise may not discuss. I'm sorry if some people find my questions gross. Be as detailed as you can please. I am a nurse and so I don't get grossed out easily.

Hello! I am glad you decided to post! Congratulations on getting your surgery date. With the PBing, you will learn quickly what you can and cannot eat. If you are out with friends, be sure to chew extra carefully before you swallow and don't drink with your food. That will most of the time prevent a PB episode. Good luck!

I am new as well and have the same concern about the PB. With 2 active children and husband we eat on the run and this has added to my weight gain. So PB in public will be a concern. About the drinking - I get the eating small bites, chewing a lot, but when do you drink. Can you at the end of a meal or not at all with food. Do you eat and drink at separate times of the day?

I read the posts about no soda what about Tea? I drink about a gallon of sweet tea a day. Decaf but with sugar, sometimes splenda

Welcome and congrats on your decision.

You can still enjoy nice dinners out with your husband and friends, you will be eating alot less than you do now, and as long as you chose healthy foods and chew really well, you should not have a PBing episode. I haven't yet in a restaurant.

I did however have a PBing episode at work after eating a few bites of KFC chicken and simply walked to the washroom to take care of business in there. No one but those I told knew about it.

Best of Luck, it's coming up quickly. Be sure to let us know how you are doing!

I'm scared of the PB episodes too!~!! I love the Papaya Enzymes idea. What is the best way to avoid the PB altogether? Anyone?

Chew, chew, chew. Small bites, otherwise you swallow half before it is really chewed. I have only thrown up once, and did not slime first. I had eaten bread. Small bites but kept on eating without a break.

I am getting to know that I must STOP eating at the first sign of tightness and let the food go down. Sometimes I think, "Well one more bite won't hurt." Inevitably, the feeling of tightness becomes uncomfortable, I can't talk without sort of croaking (my voice gets messed up) and I have to wait a lot longer. You cannot burp, you can not swallow anything, your voice gets weird, feels like you can't breath, and sometimes there is actual pain. You have to wait about 4 minutes and just sit there. People who know you, know that something is stuck. You are like a deer in headlights, and you are sitting there holding a fork and can't talk. DAHHH.

I am also getting to understand that if something is waiting to go down, and having difficulty, if I drink, it gets worse. Whatever it is either gets pushed down further OR it gets hydrated and expands and then I really feel awful. You are not supposed to drink 1/2 hr before you eat and 1 hour after, but inevitably the minute you start to eat you are totally parched. Sometimes I take a tiny sip, just enough to wet my mouth while I eat, and wait to drink later.

Its not too bad, I generally start with a glass of red wine when everyone else is ordering appetizers. (I order red since its not cold and doesn't tighten my band) I drink that and enjoy the company and then for dinner I normally just order an appetizer as my main course. Appetizers are generally smaller and easier to eat for me. I’ve done this now for going on 2 years and it works fine. I've learned to not eat the appetizers with the others because then there’s no room for dinner – people don’t mind if you skip an appetizer but it peaks their interest when you can’t eat dinner. (I was told to stop drinking right before my meal, not the 30 minute part but rules change). Its worked for me not drinking up to the meal, then I'm also not thirsty or tempted to drink during the meal which is the big no no.