To fill or not to fill...that is the question

I am so hoping you all can help me make a decision about getting a fill. I had my 1st fill on July 11th. I am scheduled to have my 2nd fill next week, but not sure that I really need a fill at this time.

I still feel restriction, but I have not lost any weight in about 3 weeks, which is not a huge problem because I feel as if I am losing inches still. For me, it seems that I lose a lot of weight fast ( I lost about 18 lbs. in about 3 weeks after my fill) but then don't lose any weight for a while and my body size kind of catches up to the weight loss...do you know what I mean?

Of course it would be HIGHLY motivating to lose another 15-20 lbs and let my body catch up again, but I always go back to what Dr. Ortiz said about the fills and that it should only take 1-2 fills to get it right.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Kimmy,

My surgeon told me that if I am using more willpower than bandpower to control my eating, then it's fill time.

If you are still feeling restriction after eating only 3/4 cup of food per sitting, you are probably okay and may need to change it up, with more protein and exercise.

If you are not feeling full after 3/4 of food, get a fill!

Have a great day!

Excellent advice Cathy. Kimmy.. I knew I needed a fill when I could eat almost as much as I used to without even thinking about what I was doing. I had my 2nd fill Aug 22nd and I have tons of restriction. I had my first sliming episode when I was at the airport on my way to California. I didn't chew a piece of a chicken nugget well enough I guess. It didn't come back up though.. thanks goodness. Anyways... right now I have alot of restriction in the morning, and still in the afternoon, I have to be careful with what I can eat. Right now I can eat about 3 small chicken wings and 2 small pieces of zucchini. That's it, that's all. I'm not losing much in the way of pounds but I can certainly see the inches coming off. If you feel any restriction at all, I would hold off on the fill right now.

My fill person told me 3 to 4 fills until most of her clients hit there sweet spot. Dr. Ortiz says o average 2 -3 fills. But many people get more than that. It just depends on how much you need to lose, your habits, how aggresive your fill doctor is, how much you work you put into it yourself, and how you did on your post-op diet. I am sure even more things contribute to it but I do not know them all. For sure it is easy to say it is not going to be the same for everyone.

My fill person told me 3 to 4 fills until most of her clients hit there sweet spot. Dr. Ortiz says o average 2 -3 fills. But many people get more than that. It just depends on how much you need to lose, your habits, how aggresive your fill doctor is, how much you work you put into it yourself, and how you did on your post-op diet. I am sure even more things contribute to it but I do not know them all. For sure it is easy to say it is not going to be the same for everyone.

Inamed, the band manufacture says,,,, 4 to 6 fills the first year is normal. But remember, everyone is different. I've known bandsters that only had 1 fill and did fine and I've known bandsters that have more than I want to count. If you think you need a fill, then it's your call.

Inamed, the band manufacture says,,,, 4 to 6 fills the first year is normal. But remember, everyone is different. I've known bandsters that only had 1 fill and did fine and I've known bandsters that have more than I want to count. If you think you need a fill, then it's your call.

I called to discuss fills with a doctors office here in Dallas that OCC recommended and they told me they recommend every 4-6 weeks for the first year! I was very surprised at this! I guess I will just wait & see how I feel. My band date is 10/10. :D