Remembering that it's a journey

I've been quiet lately. It's been sort of sucky to be me. But, since what's happening with me could happen to any of us, I'll just go ahead and type.

I was banded on 6/16. Lost 7 pounds post op. Nothing more.

First fill was 7/28. I was in the parking lot of the restriction stadium, but not actually in the ball park.

Started keeping a food diary online. Was working out. Put on two pounds. It wasn't muscle. Not a reason on the planet I should do that. e-mailed Dr. Miranda, she said I should go to an endocrinologist.

Got 2nd fill on 8/20. Have varying restriction. Still keeping food diary, still eating correctly.

8/25 went to a new GP. I took along the food diary (I wrote a post about it). She sent me for blood work and referred me to an endocrinologist with whom I have an appt on the 16th. She told me that my thyroid is "full" about 2x the size it's supposed to be. In other words, not normal.

Results back yesterday. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone at the very peak of normal levels. Ordered ultrasound to see why the thyroid is abnormally large...Blood sugars and OSH normal. I hope it is the thyroid, actually. It would be nice to have a faster metabolism.

So, for you in the peanut gallery, this is what you should take away from all of this.

A) the band should work, and if your body isn't working correctly, then it will help you stay in the same place while you figure out what else is going wrong.

B) Keep a food diary. It helps to keep you honest, it will help your Dr if something else is wrong.

C) It's a journey. Even though you jump for joy at OICU812's 50+ pounds gone and you're only down 5 in almost 3 months, getting to the goal weight is still the goal. It might take a little longer than you wanted it to, but it's not a race.

Very good post and definitely something to think about. I hope that you are able to get some answers from the endocrinologist and you get back to normal soon. This entire thing is all so complicated....it should be easy...but it's not. All my best to you! ><'

=D> PHoenix, thank you for that post. I'm so glad you took the initiative and knowing someting was not right went to your doctor. It is VERY easy, at times, to compare yourself with out bandsters on the forum and leave feeling a little like your not quite up to snuff... I go through those stages also.. then I remind myself that I will get to my goal it might just take a little longer. Please keep updating us on your progress and results.

><'

Hi Phoenix, I hope the testing comes back okay.

I had hypothyroidism for years after my second son was born and took meds, my metabolism slowed right down and hence I put on alot of weight. Losing weight was at a snails pace. It has since leveled out on it own.

If it's hyperthyroidsim, your metabolism may increase.

Take care and keep us in the loop!

I've been quiet lately. It's been sort of sucky to be me. But, since what's happening with me could happen to any of us, I'll just go ahead and type.

I was banded on 6/16. Lost 7 pounds post op. Nothing more.

First fill was 7/28. I was in the parking lot of the restriction stadium, but not actually in the ball park.

Started keeping a food diary online. Was working out. Put on two pounds. It wasn't muscle. Not a reason on the planet I should do that. e-mailed Dr. Miranda, she said I should go to an endocrinologist.

Got 2nd fill on 8/20. Have varying restriction. Still keeping food diary, still eating correctly.

8/25 went to a new GP. I took along the food diary (I wrote a post about it). She sent me for blood work and referred me to an endocrinologist with whom I have an appt on the 16th. She told me that my thyroid is "full" about 2x the size it's supposed to be. In other words, not normal.

Results back yesterday. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone at the very peak of normal levels. Ordered ultrasound to see why the thyroid is abnormally large...Blood sugars and OSH normal. I hope it is the thyroid, actually. It would be nice to have a faster metabolism.

So, for you in the peanut gallery, this is what you should take away from all of this.

A) the band should work, and if your body isn't working correctly, then it will help you stay in the same place while you figure out what else is going wrong.

B) Keep a food diary. It helps to keep you honest, it will help your Dr if something else is wrong.

C) It's a journey. Even though you jump for joy at OICU812's 50+ pounds gone and you're only down 5 in almost 3 months, getting to the goal weight is still the goal. It might take a little longer than you wanted it to, but it's not a race.

I was also told pre-that I have a tyroid problem as well....shou;d I get treated for this????

Asking us, in the peanut gallery, my knee jerk answer is "what did your doctor say?"

I would. Not losing weight after spending 8 grand and eating correctly and exercising for 3 months sucks.

I'm still happy to be banded, but had I known there were thyroid issues beforehand, I'd have taken care of that first.

Linda

I was also told pre-that I have a tyroid problem as well....shou;d I get treated for this????

Yes! Definitely get treated. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May...you have to take medication for this...which means your thyroid is slow...which means you can not only have issues losing weight, but fatigue, constipation, body temperature issues, high cholesterol, etc. I would definitely get treated...your thyroid controls a lot of hormones and your metabolism.

Phoenix I am in the same boat as you except for the thyroid issue.. Its frustrating for sure, thats why I havent been posting as much either... I was banded on June 27th and from surgery til my first fill I have only lost 13.5 pounds. I had my first fill on August 12 of 2 cc's in a 4cc band and have not lost ANY weight with that fill... I feel your pain believe me.. I am asking myself too if this is really going to work for me..

I have my second fill on September 23rd I hope this is my sweet spot fill.. I hope for some restriction.. I can eat a whole Lean Cuisine and I hear that some people can not even eat half of one. That makes me think I have done something to my band since I can eat a whole one. Its just frustrating when you see everyone else dropping weight like crazy and here I am stuck at 185 for like 2 months now... I am logging all of my food as well at myfitnesspal and it does help to track of it.. Like yesterday I didnt even go over 1000 calories.. I am trying to keep it around 1000 calories a day but not seeing much movement on the scale..

Hope you hear something from your doctor soon and the weight starts falling off for you...

Good luck honey....

Hi Phoenix, My grown daughter and I have a condition that causes the tyroid to enlarge if we dont take thyroid supliments, I take Armour. It is a common one called Hasimotos Sythroiditis and it ts an imune decese. I'm sure your doctor will figure it out, but I can't see why they are making you wait until the 16th.

The tyroid controls so many functions in your body...including your moods, painful periods, constipation, hair and skin, and of course weight, just to nae a few.

Barb

Hi Phoenix, My grown daughter and I have a condition that causes the tyroid to enlarge if we dont take thyroid supliments, I take Armour. It is a common one called Hasimotos Sythroiditis and it ts an imune decese. I'm sure your doctor will figure it out, but I can't see why they are making you wait until the 16th.

The tyroid controls so many functions in your body...including your moods, painful periods, constipation, hair and skin, and of course weight, just to nae a few.

Barb

I am sure most of you have seen my ugly scar. I had 2 cysts on my thyroid and had to have half of it removed back in Nov 07. I am now on Synthroid for the rest of my life. If I skip a dose, my body goes crazy. I start gaining weight even with my diet and exercise. If anyone is having problems losing weight or keeping it off please have your thyroid checked. You have to get your medication dose exactly right to keep your levels where they should be.

Phoenix~Good luck with your tests, honey. Hopefully this will explain your problems!

You are awsome. You are exactly what this forum needs. You stayed upbeat during all your hard work and kept on going. I hope you find your answer. Maybe when that is resolved you will see some progess. But you might not would have found out there was a problem if you had not been doing your homework. Keep staying positive because you are making the best choices for your health. Great job.

You are awsome. You are exactly what this forum needs. You stayed upbeat during all your hard work and kept on going. I hope you find your answer. Maybe when that is resolved you will see some progess. But you might not would have found out there was a problem if you had not been doing your homework. Keep staying positive because you are making the best choices for your health. Great job.

Thanks Dawn! That made me feel good!

Phoenix,

No doubt this is frustrating and painful for you. I am truly sorry for the struggle you are going through and can only say that I will keep you in my prayers and be hoping the best for you. I hope you are able to find out what is causing this and get things in order. Please keep us posted.

Barb

Thanks! I'm hoping it IS as simple as a little pill every day. Crossing my fingers (and all of my pink parts) that I have a solution instead of a continuing problem :D

They could have taken me as soon as next week, but I have a business trip Sat to Sat. I'll see the endo when I get back.

Linda