Splenda candy bars

Hey all,

Yesterday-went to the market and found a new item in the low-carb section. Its a Splenda milk chocolate bar. It has no net carbs, but 22grams of manitol...Now, I am not a cook/baker/etc. I barely know where my kitchen is in the house if that gives you any idea. So I am kinda unfamiliar with Splenda. I have a crappy nutritionist so its not worth the bother asking her and I can't get ahold of my Dr (I was banded here in the states). So could you guys tell me if these bars are okay? They look really good... and I want chocolate soooo bad....

Thanks!

--Kali

Here is some shocking information about Aspartame, I would think twice about taking in large amounts of this substance. There is campaigning going on to have it removed from the market place.

Link: http://dorway.com/dorwblog/?page_id=59

KIM

Here is some shocking information about Aspartame, I would think twice about taking in large amounts of this substance. There is campaigning going on to have it removed from the market place.

I clicked on this link and all it had was the title at the top of the page with no written info in the content. I thought I had heard something similar and am anxious to read this. Any way to make it show up? Maybe our faithful computer whiz Mamamichelle could help. I need to read this for sure. Thanks Kim for attempting to post it.

Mannitol-white, crystalline, water-soluble, slightly sweet alcohol, C6H8(OH)6, used as a dietary supplement and dietetic sweetener and in medical tests of renal function. and given IV to decrease brain swelling.

check the protein, and fat content. Sugar isn't bad for you in small amounts. Also Bariatric eating.com has these protein kitkat type things in mint (dark choclate, not very sweet), Peanut butter/choclate(awsome), plain choclate- very good. They are called OH YEAH. You get alot of protein, hardly anything else. I take them to the movies, along with my protein water. Awsome.

KIM

Sacharine sp? was pulled off the market when I was a kid because it causes bladder cancer but got put back on because all the diabetics were so upset at not having anything to use as a sugar replacement.

Splenda is another type of sugar molecule. It is NOT calorie free- it is 1/2 the calories of sugar- 350+ for one cup instead of 700+ for regular sugar.

here is that link for whoever needs it, there are lots of articles there

http://dorway.com/dorwblog/

googling "aspartame" will also yield a lot of results

aspartame is found in nutrasweet, not splenda, but its still good info to know

here it tells you which to use and which to avoid:

http://dorway.com/dorwblog/?p=901

For the record Splenda is not aspartame - it's sucralose.

Personally I'm wary of all artificial sweeteners - there are those who think splenda is bad for us as well. I'm not sure, but I try to stick with foods that are as natural as possible.

There's also some evidence to suggest that all artificial sweeteners lead to more cravings for carbs rather than satisfying the urge.

OMG I just read this article. Everyone here needs to read this. This was written in 1995, 1996 and I do think I recall this coming out in the news somewhere. I am worried because my husband for the last 2 years or so has been drinking a pitcher of crystal light a night almost and it has aspartame in it. Yikes!! What's an alternative with no-cal or low-cal for people who like this type of flavored beverage? Does anyone know?

I checked the special K protein water and it has sucralose in it which is ok. Oh boy has this opened up a can of worms!! I know why I have heard to just stay away from all artificial sweeteners!!

Whoa. That was really good info on the websites. Thanks for the link. And I will not be buying anymore of those chocolate bars... They are not worth it anyway. Although now I have the same question about the crystal light. I probably drink 4 glasses of the "raspberry ice" flavored mix. At the end of the day my water is just too boring and iced tea loses its luster. But I love that crystal light mix... Anyone have any suggestions to pump up water?

Thanks everyone!

Hey all,

Yesterday-went to the market and found a new item in the low-carb section. Its a Splenda milk chocolate bar. It has no net carbs, but 22grams of manitol...Now, I am not a cook/baker/etc. I barely know where my kitchen is in the house if that gives you any idea. So I am kinda unfamiliar with Splenda. I have a crappy nutritionist so its not worth the bother asking her and I can't get ahold of my Dr (I was banded here in the states). So could you guys tell me if these bars are okay? They look really good... and I want chocolate soooo bad....

Thanks!

--Kali

Hi Kali,

Splenda is an artificial sweetener that's actually made from sugar, and manitol is just another form of sugar (wood sugar, to be exact). I've used Spenda for quite some time now, and I actually prefer it to other artificial sweeteners. As with most things, too much of anything is never a good thing. Just remember that with only a small amount of food per meal, you'll want to get as many nutrients into your body as possible. If you're eating a lot of items with sugar in them (or ones that are made from sugar), not only could your health/nutrition suffer, but you may not lose a whole lot of weight over the long haul.

A bite or two may help to relieve your craving, but I wouldn't go over board on this. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

- (1jmk) Janet.

I see the old aspartame "truths" are rearing their ugly heads again. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-tru...dditives?page=2

If you are not used to eating sugar alcohols (maltitol, mannitol, etc) be very careful!! The are not fully digestible and will cause horrible gas and diarrhea until you are used to eating them. They are natural sweeteners and as such have calories. Maltitol is my sweetener of choice. Its sweetness is close to that of sugar and it has most of the cooking properties of sugar so it is great for baking and cooking.

Splenda (sucralose) is an artificial sweetener and all artificial sweeteners have NO calories because the body does not recognize them as a nutrient. Because splenda is so very sweet, most of what you see in the packets and the bag is maltodexatrin, a filler that is slightly sweet.

That's another thing about artificial sweeteners - they are so much more sweeter than sugar what you are getting is a tiny amount plus a filler to make the measuring of it closer to sugar.

Finally, about those candybars, it may say "Splenda" on the label, but the real sweetener is the mannitol (are you sure it's not maltitol?) and sugar alcohols have calories. As a matter of fact, on the label it should say something like "this is a Sugar Free food - not a low calorie food." You will probably find upon closer inspection that the sugar free candybar has almost as many calories as the regular, not to mention as much fat.

If you are craving chocolate, buy yourself some dark chocolate. It has less sugar and is very good for you! Look for the Lindt 85% bar.

Here's some info on the health benefits of dark chocolate http://www.webmd.com/news/20040601/dark-ch...eps-doctor-away

Like someone said, anything in excess is harmful.