My Experience with Banding

My original banding date was May 14th. I cashed out my 401K to afford the surgery and the distribution came through early so I decided to move my banding date up to May 5th. I did the protein liquid diet 6 days before my surgery date and lost 5 lbs. I found it very difficult to get through the six days but I knew that they wouldn't bring me in for surgery if I didn't lose some weight.

As soon as I landed in San Diego I recieved a call from the OCC asking me if I had found the driver. I was quite impressed that I recieved this call. The driver was very curtious and carried my bags to the van. There were other people in the van that were going to the OCC. I rode down with one couple (she was getting a fill) and two woman (one for a fill and one for banding.) We crossed the border into Mexico without having our documents reviewed. We just drove across the border. The center is only 10 minutes from the border. Recomendation: Do not assume that everyone on the van is going for banding.

When we arrived at the center, we drove down into the parking garage. The center is not an independent building, and there is no signage on the outside. This is the only time I felt uneasy during my trip. The driver asked us to take out bags and head toward the elevator. I didn't know where we were going but once we got on the elevator there was a security guard that brought us up to the 2nd floor.

When the doors opened everything looked just as it did in the pictures. We were greeted, I had to fill out a couple of release forms, hand in my original paperwork and a cashier's check for my surgery. Within 10 minutes they had me back with a nurse who put an IV port into my hand. I was a bit surprised because I was only going to have my tests done on Thursday and my surgery was scheduled for Friday. Next, I met with Dr. Miranda...she is so cool. I did get lectured because she told me that I should have started my diet surgery earlier so I would have lost more weght. She informed me that I would have surgery that day because there were a couple of cancellations.

They brought me to my room. There are approximately six rooms next to the surgical center. They are very comfortable. They have nice beds, chairs, and a TV with satellite movie channels. Dr. Ortiz came and sat with me for about 15 minutes and really got me pumped up for success. After he left they took me into the surgical room, got me up on the table, put the happy juice in my IV and I was out. By the way, everything was very, very, very clean.

I woke up back in my room with a very kind nurse rubbing my back. I guess because they are cutting through your stomach muscles it is inevitable that you are going to feel really soar. I felt like I was in an accident. My shoulders were soar, my chest felt tight, and I had muscle spasms in my stomach. Athough, nothing about my surgery was unbearable.

I stayed the night. The nursing staff is wonderful and they provided exceptional care to all of the patients. The next day the nurse woke me up and told me that I had to get dressed. The driver was taking all of the patients to the hotel. We weren't allowed to shower the next morning, they asked us to wait until we got to the hotel so they would have time to prepare and clean all of the rooms for the next group of banding patients. We recieved an OCC membership card and our banding information. They placed a 10cc Lap-Band during my surgery.

The hotel is 5 minutes from the center. When I arrived I had to wait an hour for my room to be cleaned. They had me down as a no show because I didn't arrive the night before as scheduled. The rooms were very nice but I was really lonely. I traveled by myself and after you arrive at the hotel, everyone goes there own seperate way. I did bring chicken and beef bullion cubes with me and this really helped me during my first day. The only juice that they have at the hotel for the recently banded is apple juice.

I changed my flight from Sunday to Saturday and arrived back home at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday night. Today, is Sunday and I feel great. I am sticking to my clear liquid diet until Wednesday. I do have hunger pains but as soon as I drink some juice or water they hunger pains go away.

I wrote this long description of my experience to hopefully eliviate anyone that is soon to be banded that has any kink of concern. The only suggestions that I have for future banders is to enjoy their OWN experience. This is a life changing opportunity, you are paying alot of money to make the change. Approach it with a great attitute and the staff at the OCC will take care of the rest. Listen to your fellow banders because they have alot of great recommendations. The Gax X strips, the bullion cubes, and packing light were suggestions that I listened to that made my experience better.

I think that I am going to make the trip in six weeks back to the OCC for my first fill. After that I might look for a fill center in Arizona.

Have a great day.

Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful experience at the OCC. I am a bit confused because you say your surgery date was MAY 14th but you write this as if it just happened this past week. Did you mis-type the month? It seems that may be the case but then the dates just don't add up when you say today is sunday and you are still on clear liquids. It doesn't really matter just wondering.

:lb4: and stick to the clear liquids for 7 full days only adding the drinkable yogurt at day 4.

Thanks again for such a concise description of your journey.

Hi Julie, I moved my date up to May 5th from the 14th but they performed it on the 4th. I just got home last night. I can't believe how much better I feel already. I think it is because I am purging our body of all the fat and sugars I used to consume. My only concern now is giving myself enough time to recover from surgery.

Thanks for the comments.

Steph

Hi Julie, I moved my date up to May 5th from the 14th but they performed it on the 4th. I just got home last night. I can't believe how much better I feel already. I think it is because I am purging our body of all the fat and sugars I used to consume. My only concern now is giving myself enough time to recover from surgery.

Thanks for the comments.

Steph

It must be the drugs still in your system :wacko: .....this is September!!(gotta tease ya) Do take it easy and just rest, your body needs it.