hiatal hernai & high blood pressure

Hi All,

I am almost 6 weeks post op. I have lost almost 20 pounds depending on what day it is.... yipee... I get filled on 9/13....

Prior to surgery, my blood pressure was so out of control. I mean really, really scary. I would stay in the 160/100 and go all the way up to 200/110. In my head, I really felt like my blood pressure medications were not working at all. They had just put me on my 3rd medication.

We all know that weight loss helps blood pressure. So I expected very slow reduction in my blood pressure.

Immediately after my surgery my pressure went way down to 117/70. For about 5 weeks now it has been around 100/65 in the mornings. This is with a weekly reduction in medication. As I reduce meds, my blood pressure stays steady. You can not imagine how surprised I am by this. I was never given the expectation that this could happen so fast.

So curious me does some research.... I have found a very limited amount information in the natural medicine & chiropractic that hiatal hernia and high blood pressure are linked. I have found nothing in regards to this in mainstream medicine.

Anyone experience this or know anything about this? I find it extremely interesting and just wonder how many people could save their lives by having their hernia fixed. It is normally considered something that you just live with.

It's not the hernia and bp that are linked, it's the lap-band and bp that are linked.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. My blood pressure is about as low as yours right now and I'm going to the DR. to see about reducing my meds.

I've had high bp since I was 14 (a long, long time) and it's been determined that it is hereditary. (I've lost over 100 pounds before and it never changed) My dad has it and his dad had it.

A few weeks after the band, boom, my blood pressure dropped and it's stayed there ever since.

There was a segment on 20/20 about the effects of bipass surgery on bp and diabetes. The bipass patients saw an almost immediate reduction/disappearance of high bp and/or diabetes. They also mentioned that the same type of results are being seen in lap band patients.

It's not the losing of weight that causes the drop, it's the surgery since it happens so soon after!

Jena

Jena,

I am guessing the answer is no, but I asking anyway... Did you have a hiatal hernia too?

This is so bizarre to me. I don't understand how it drops so quickly. The bariatric Dr. in Atlanta basically squashed all of my hope of reducing my blood pressure with the lapband. He said it was the gastric bypass that reduces the bp. So I am totally astonished and so happy about this.

When I had my surgery at the OCC, I did not ask about because I did not want to get upset about that part again.

I wish someone was keeping track of all the health improvements that we see with the band and put it in some data bank for doctors to use.

This is with a weekly reduction in medication. As I reduce meds, my blood pressure stays steady. You can not imagine how surprised I am by this. I was never given the expectation that this could happen so fast.

Are you adjusting your meds with medical supervision or just winging it yourself? I have been wondering when I should start pushing the family doc to get me off my 5..no 6 different BP and chorestral drugs.

Mine also dropped and my doctor here is getting me off my meds little by little. He said in about a month or so I might be completely off them. He said I will also be off my crestor, so that makes me happy. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired.

I'm hoping the lap band is being studied for this. I was totally amazed a my drop in blood pressure!

Like I mentioned, I have been on bp meds for 36 years!!! Nothing changed it. All of a sudden, just weeks after the band it drops and stays there.

Dr. Ortiz said after surgery that he repaired a hernia, but I had no symptoms of having one before hand. If he hadn't told me, I would have never known.

jena

Jena,

I am guessing the answer is no, but I asking anyway... Did you have a hiatal hernia too?

This is so bizarre to me. I don't understand how it drops so quickly. The bariatric Dr. in Atlanta basically squashed all of my hope of reducing my blood pressure with the lapband. He said it was the gastric bypass that reduces the bp. So I am totally astonished and so happy about this.

When I had my surgery at the OCC, I did not ask about because I did not want to get upset about that part again.

I wish someone was keeping track of all the health improvements that we see with the band and put it in some data bank for doctors to use.

Are you adjusting your meds with medical supervision or just winging it yourself? I have been wondering when I should start pushing the family doc to get me off my 5..no 6 different BP and chorestral drugs.

Hi,

Yes, I am working with my doctor to get off these meds. I am on one that can cause some issues if not reduced gradually. but she gave me a 6 week plan for getting off of it. I keep dragging it out because I am scared of a sudden increase. Then I go back to her office.

It is so amazing how much it has dropped. I find my self thinking that it is impossible and keep questioning it. I can't wait til I think my scales are wrong a positive way!!

To the best of my knowledge, and yes I am no expert just a nurse, there is NO relationship between a hiatal hernia and high blood pressure.

So glad your BP is coming down though. Yes this is related to the WLS. How's your diabetes?

Hi Julie,

Really no change with the diabetes area. It is still hanging around 160 in the mornings, but gets much better as the day goes on. I started my DBCARE natural medications again and it has gotten down to about 130 in the mornings & below 100 during the day. I swear by that supplement. After banding, I was put on metformin 2 x day and it really does not work on its own for me.

I have read that my BP medication, procardia XL, can mess up blood sugars & insulin. I really did not have BS issues til after taking this. The docotor tried to take me off, my BS went below 100, but BP went crazy. So I am on the Procardia XL for now.

If anyone is interested, I was taking the following BP meds prior to surgery on 8/1.

1 pill 1xday HCTZ (water pill)

1 pill 1xday Procardia XL 60mg

2 pill 2xday labetalol

Dr. is weaning me off of the labetalol 1st because it makes me So tired. I am currently taking 1 labetalol pill 2x day, and reducing to 1/2 pill 2 x day this week, 1/2 pill 1 x day next week, then to nothing.