Band vs. RNY or Gastric Bypass

Hi Everyone,

For anyone who is questioning whether the band is the right choice over RNY or Gastric Bypass, read this.

This is the story of my friend Pam:

Pam, who had the RNY surgery performed one week before I was banded 3 months ago today, was hospitalized in the U.S for a week after surgery, spent another week in a U.S hotel for monitoring and then returned home to Canada. She was home for approxmately a week when started having difficulty keeping food down, she vomitted at every meal. She called the surgeon and he told her to change her choice of foods, softer, easier foods. By week two, it was getting worse and her abdomen was starting to swell and hurt. Her husband took her to the ER and they found that she had a severe stomach infection, she had emergency surgery that night and two more the next day to get the infection under control.

She was in the hospital for 6 1/2 weeks, virtually in the bed the whole time, she had a vac unit in her open incision for the entire time. She was transferred to a rehab hospital to help her get back on her feet. She suffered from muscle atrophy and could not even walk. 8 weeks after the first visit to the ER was able to go home, still with the vac in her open incision to keep any risk of infection under control. At home she was basically in bed most of the day. Last week, she was back in the hospital with pneumonia. The pneumonia can result in further complications to her stomach, if the the infected lung fluid gets into her stomach (swallowing after coughing). Poor girl is still in the hospital today.

Like most of you, I was banded, recovered after about a week or less and went on with my life. Although our struggles are ongoing and our primary goal is to lose the weight. Pam has had to fight for her life for over two months. Although Pam's experience is not the norm for RNY surgery, it can happen. She has lost over 100lbs now, but lost 2 1/2 months of time with her husband and children...and almost lost her life.

I could have had RNY or Gastric bypass surgery at no cost to me, our Provincial Healthcare covers it. But I chose to pay for Lapband surgery myself and it's the best decision I have ever made!

Thanks!

Sadly enough her battle might not be over. I have some clients who are nurses and they talk about bypass patients going bad (like a fruit) all the time. I would not have made that decision to have bypass just because it is such a more serious and dangeriou surgery. I was not that over weight to take that risk. Some are and they feel it is medically needed. I certainly wish your friend well. This must be tuff on the whole family.

I also know many who have had GBS and not one has kept the weight off.

More positives - we can adjust our tool, and we haven't changed the overall make-up of our bodies. They have changed their body and many have stretched out their stomachs and are back to being obese. Since I'm now on maintenance I've removed much of the liquid from my band and I know can eat more, however still less than before - I also am keeping the good habits I made over the last 23 months. If I start to gain weight back, I'll simply go in for a fill and get an adjustment to help me eat less.

I’m very comfortable and confidant with my choice.

I am very sorry for her problems and will pray for her and her family.

Best,

Lisa

OMG - what an ordeal, Cathy !!!

I seriously hope your friends get's on her way to feel better a.s.a.p.

A former co-worker back in Germany had the GBS and had nothing but problems too. Sure she lost weight in a heart beat, but all the health issues that came with it - not worth it at all :blink:

My friend had the GBS and she ended up with 6 surgeries in about a year all due to complications. GBS patients can build up scar tissue or something where their intestines are re-routed and it causes a blockage. (At least that is the way she explained it to me.) Then suddenly, you are in severe pain and feel like your "dying" and the next thing you know you are rushed into the hospital for emergency surgery.

Her starting weight was 325 when she had the GBS. About a year later she was down to 150 and looking great, but...another 6-12 months after that she was back up to 215 pounds. I was on the waiting list to meet with the same surgeon who did her surgery. Thank goodness I ended up pregnant by the time they called to schedule my consultation. Because during my pregnancy, I watched her gain back those 65 pounds. I realized there was no way in heck I was going to have all those surgeries and complications, just to gain the weight back and be called OBESE again. To me, the GBS was just no worth it.

Ok now that I can speak I am soooo glad I have my band. I too was on "the list" to have a RNY and then lost my insurance....At the time I thought it was the end of the world but now I know I was being taken care of as I was choosing a very risky surgery with numerous complications.

Cathy I wish your friend all the best for a speedy recovery and on to good health!!

Wow! That must be horrible to go through and terribly painful. I am really suprised at the number of GBP patients who have complications - it seems like quite a few of us on this forum know at least someone who has had it and had complications from it. Lisa is right - at least we bandsters have the choice to adjust our 'tool' if need be :D Sure, our weightloss might be much slower, but as many people on here have said, it seems like the GBP patients frequently gain their weight back because they start eating more and more until their stomachs stretch out. Then all they have is another big stomach on top of the old big stomach thats left inside their body. Blah - NO THANKS! I'll take my band over GBP ANY DAY! B)