Questions about lap band surgery.

I am 95% positive that I want to have this surgery. I have researched and I think the OCC is my best choice since my Blue Cross policy won't pay. I was thinking about having it done the week before Thanksgiving. Is there still time to get it scheduled?

Also, what is the pre-op diet? When do you have to begin it? Are you required to lose a certain amount of weight before they will operate?

I lost 105 pounds 10 years ago by dieting and exercise. I have slowly regained most of the weight. I got to be thin for 2 years, and I will not be happy until I am thin again. I still have all my size 10 clothes, and I really want to get back in them. The only way I lost my weight before was by not working for one year. I focused completely on diet and exercise. It became an obsession. I can't do that again.

Answers and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kimberly

I am 95% positive that I want to have this surgery. I have researched and I think the OCC is my best choice since my Blue Cross policy won't pay. I was thinking about having it done the week before Thanksgiving. Is there still time to get it scheduled?

Also, what is the pre-op diet? When do you have to begin it? Are you required to lose a certain amount of weight before they will operate?

I lost 105 pounds 10 years ago by dieting and exercise. I have slowly regained most of the weight. I got to be thin for 2 years, and I will not be happy until I am thin again. I still have all my size 10 clothes, and I really want to get back in them. The only way I lost my weight before was by not working for one year. I focused completely on diet and exercise. It became an obsession. I can't do that again.

Answers and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

I am having surgery 10/10. I have already started my pre-op diet. (but I think it is recommended to start atleast 2 weeks before) There are several diets to choose from, you will have a conference call with the nutritionist and she will go over it with you. Depends on your weight and BMI. But, it is something like a shake for bfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. You have to lose 5 % of your body weight before surgery. You should call them and see if they have openings. I just called a few weeks ago and got mine scheduled relatively quickly I thought.

Hi,

I am new here as well. I am scheduled for Nov 5th and I only called a week ago. It could have been in Oct, but that did not work for me.

From what I understand they want you to lose 5% before the surgery. The sooner you start the better is my guess. I think they are wanting a commitment that you will do it.

From my research, the band does not do it for you. It assists, you still have to do all the work. But it helps you keep it off.

I lost all my weight before as well and put it and more back on too!

I will never do that again!!!!

It is amazing what weight does to you mentally as well as physically!

Good Luck, I am sure you will make the choice that is best for you.

Tracy

Welcome and I hope you decide to go for it!

It is the best decision I have ever made for my health. I was banded in Canada by a great surgeon, but have heard amazing things about Dr.Ortiz at the OCC.

I had my surgery on June 10th and from pre-op to now, I have lost 46lbs and the best part is that they are gone for good!!!

If you have any more questions, we are all here for you, you will love this forum, we are like family.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. I thought of another question.

Do you pay when you schedule? Or is a deposit type of thing? How does that work?

I have an appointment tomorrow with the MD that I used when I lost my 105 lbs. She prescribes phentermine. It helps some, but you still have to do the hard part. If I do decide to go through with this I will at least have a head start on the pre-op diet.

My insurance wil not cover this so I have to pay myself. The money does not bother me, I know my mental and physical health is worth much more than the cost of the surgery. I am worried about the band slipping and then having to pay for a removal. That would be so dissappointing. What do you all know about the percentage of people who do have that type of complication?

Thanks again,

Kimberly

Thanks for the replies. I thought of another question.

Do you pay when you schedule? Or is a deposit type of thing? How does that work?

There is a deposit on scheduling and then full payment must be received prior to surgery. There are financing companies available and there are a couple links on the OCC website for more information on that.

We used the paypal option for payment, but I think they also take wire transfers etc. You would get all that info in the introduction package

There is a deposit on scheduling and then full payment must be received prior to surgery. There are financing companies available and there are a couple links on the OCC website for more information on that.

We used the paypal option for payment, but I think they also take wire transfers etc. You would get all that info in the introduction package

Thanks. I have the money in my checking account. Do you know if they take credit cards? I have a Disney Visa that I use for everything then pay off at the end of every month. I earn money to spend in Disney World by using the Disney Visa. I would love to pay for the surgery with my Visa just to earn the extra $$$$. If not, I could also do the PayPal option or send a personal check. Do you know if they take those?

Thanks. I have the money in my checking account. Do you know if they take credit cards? I have a Disney Visa that I use for everything then pay off at the end of every month. I earn money to spend in Disney World by using the Disney Visa. I would love to pay for the surgery with my Visa just to earn the extra $$$$. If not, I could also do the PayPal option or send a personal check. Do you know if they take those?

They do take credit cards, but you have to pay them atleast 2 weeks prior to surgery. If you pay by check it has to be a bank transfer I think two weeks early. If you pay cash, it has to be done with a cashiers check and brought with you the day of surgery or labs. But, you have to fax a copy of the check 2 weeks prior so they see you have it made out to them.

They do take credit cards, but you have to pay them atleast 2 weeks prior to surgery. If you pay by check it has to be a bank transfer I think two weeks early. If you pay cash, it has to be done with a cashiers check and brought with you the day of surgery or labs. But, you have to fax a copy of the check 2 weeks prior so they see you have it made out to them.

Thanks! How much of a deposit do they require?

I think its around $500. but I'm guessing.

My credit card is linked to our paypal so we got our points when we used paypal to pay the deposit and final balance. OCC charges another couple hundred dollars if you use the credit card via paypal so the points may not be worth the extra charge but it's worth considering.

I really encourage you to call the OCC and speak to Carolyn or any other associate who will be able to answer all your questions regarding deposits, financing, payment etc... They will tell you EXACTLY what is required by the OCC and they are the final word. Good luck, see you in bandster land. :)

I really encourage you to call the OCC and speak to Carolyn or any other associate who will be able to answer all your questions regarding deposits, financing, payment etc... They will tell you EXACTLY what is required by the OCC and they are the final word. Good luck, see you in bandster land. :)

I spoke with Carolyn yesterday, but the deposit and payment questions were the ones I forgot to ask her about. I emailed her today, but I haven't heard back from her. A little while ago I played around on their website and saw that they do take credit cards, so I just need to find out if there is an extra charge for using your credit card. If so, I can do a certified check from my bank. I assumed the office at the OCC would not be open on Sunday, and I knew the folks on this forum would try to answer my questions for me. I am just so excited to have finally made the decision to do this for myself, that I couldn't wait until the OCC opened on Monday.

HI KIMBERLY: I HAD MY SURGERY AUG 18TH AND SO FAR I HAVE LOST 15 POUNDS. I THINK THIS IS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. I SENT THE OCC A DEPOSIT OF $500 AND TOOK A CASHIERS CHECK WITH ME. THEY DID PRE-OP LAB TESTS FIRST AND THEN I HAD MY SURGERY THE SAME DAY. I SPENT THE NIGHT AT THE HOSPITAL AND WENT TO THE HOTEL THE NEXT DAY. WE WALKED AROUND AND WENT SHOPPING AND HAD A GREAT TIME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION!

HI KIMBERLY: I HAD MY SURGERY AUG 18TH AND SO FAR I HAVE LOST 15 POUNDS. I THINK THIS IS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. I SENT THE OCC A DEPOSIT OF $500 AND TOOK A CASHIERS CHECK WITH ME. THEY DID PRE-OP LAB TESTS FIRST AND THEN I HAD MY SURGERY THE SAME DAY. I SPENT THE NIGHT AT THE HOSPITAL AND WENT TO THE HOTEL THE NEXT DAY. WE WALKED AROUND AND WENT SHOPPING AND HAD A GREAT TIME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION!

Yes, it is 500.00 deposit to reserve your surgery date. Call Lori at ext. 81 she will email you all the docs! She is great!

Hi there, and welcome,

I had my surgery on sept 2. I sent them a $500 check for deposit and then wired the funds a week before surgery. It was all quite easy. If you pay with credit card, (not thru paypal) they do charge $300 fee. the preop diet is hard but totally worth it. I started 2 weeks before and had off 10 pounds for surgery. they need you to lose weight so that your liver can shrink prior, since the band is so close to the liver. they can tell if you have lost too. Lori was most helpful at the OCC, very quick responses to calls and to emails. Good luck!!!!