Changing Views on Food

I have been banded 3 months now...and I've had one PBing episode and two fills. I have great restriction right now.

I was thinking to myself last night at dinner, wow eating and chewing is becoming such a chore. I eat healthy meals, last night I cooked a turkey roll, roasted potatoes, corn and tossed salad. I chewed and chewed the turkey, by the time I wanted some veggies and potatoes, I was tired and really didn't want to eat COLD food. Yes, by the time I finish my meat, the rest of the food on my plate is always cold. But, I am not complaining, I love the results!!

I used to inhale my food and eat 3-4 times as much as I can now. I can't believe how I have changed...food is for nutrition only now...I have lost the ability and gradually losing the desire to eat like I used to. YEH FOR THE BAND!!!

Thanks for letting me share!

Yes I agree! Food is not near as appealing as it used to be!

I agree with both of you. It WOULD be appealing if I could eat more, but it's such a hassle, it's so much less appealing. I don't want to eat more b/c of the pain, but I remember wanting to eat more, just that it's not for me.

I have been banded 3 months now...and I've had one PBing episode and two fills. I have great restriction right now.

I was thinking to myself last night at dinner, wow eating and chewing is becoming such a chore. I eat healthy meals, last night I cooked a turkey roll, roasted potatoes, corn and tossed salad. I chewed and chewed the turkey, by the time I wanted some veggies and potatoes, I was tired and really didn't want to eat COLD food. Yes, by the time I finish my meat, the rest of the food on my plate is always cold. But, I am not complaining, I love the results!!

I used to inhale my food and eat 3-4 times as much as I can now. I can't believe how I have changed...food is for nutrition only now...I have lost the ability and gradually losing the desire to eat like I used to. YEH FOR THE BAND!!!

Thanks for letting me share!

I agree too! I don't have good restriction yet as I haven't had a fill. However, I do follow the bandster rules and I take at least 30 minutes to eat so by the time I get to vegetables and starches I am tired of chewing and usually stop. I have to physically stop myself from eating now because quite frankly, I can eat just about anything. I am on pure mental willpower right now. I can't wait to get my fill and hopefully get some restriction! :)

As a side note, my hubby and I are going on vacation for the next 2 weeks (leaving this weekend). We are doing a lot of hiking in multiple state and national parks in Utah and Arizona with a couple of days at the Grande Canyon. I cannot wait as neither of us have ever been out there before! Hopefully, I will be able to stay on my plan and not gain anything while I am away - that makes me a bit nervous.

I agree with both of you. It WOULD be appealing if I could eat more, but it's such a hassle, it's so much less appealing. I don't want to eat more b/c of the pain, but I remember wanting to eat more, just that it's not for me.

I wonder if the appeal is eating MORE, or if you are craving more flavour. I can't speak from experience as I am not banded yet, but I am looking forward to the idea of eating less food, and instead finding ways to keep it interesting and more flavourful. I used to enjoy dining with my wife in fancy restaurants where very little food came, but it was amazing in taste. I would be hungry afterwards, and we would stop off somewhere... but I can see how now I will be content after such a meal.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe. But the thought of PBing is so vile to me (and the main reason I have held off on the surgury for over a year) I don't want too much food. I just want to feel full with my taste buds tingling. The mind's eye will hopefully do the rest.

I wonder how many of us associate(d) food as a form of entertainment. That is probably how many of us got in trouble to begin with. Food for nourishment is completely different than the experience of food. Hopefully (with guidance from many bandsters such as yourself) I will be able to find the right balance over the coming months.

Taz

I wonder if the appeal is eating MORE, or if you are craving more flavour. I can't speak from experience as I am not banded yet, but I am looking forward to the idea of eating less food, and instead finding ways to keep it interesting and more flavourful. I used to enjoy dining with my wife in fancy restaurants where very little food came, but it was amazing in taste. I would be hungry afterwards, and we would stop off somewhere... but I can see how now I will be content after such a meal.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe. But the thought of PBing is so vile to me (and the main reason I have held off on the surgury for over a year) I don't want too much food. I just want to feel full with my taste buds tingling. The mind's eye will hopefully do the rest.

I wonder how many of us associate(d) food as a form of entertainment. That is probably how many of us got in trouble to begin with. Food for nourishment is completely different than the experience of food. Hopefully (with guidance from many bandsters such as yourself) I will be able to find the right balance over the coming months.

Taz

Hi Taz, I think part of it is the chewing, it's tiring. Eating cold food turns me off. Food getting stuck is a concern and happens. It actually happened to be a dinner, left over turkey (which I absolutely love) and some green beans, I had to get up and walk around, finally it went down. But after that I couldn't finish dinner, had a unsweetened pudding instead.

I socialize at least once a week for lunch or dinner and make healthy choices, eat slow and so far it's been just fine.

I try to make tasty foods, adding spices etc, so that the little bit I can have, tastes good.

Good Luck with your surgery.

I agree too! I don't have good restriction yet as I haven't had a fill. However, I do follow the bandster rules and I take at least 30 minutes to eat so by the time I get to vegetables and starches I am tired of chewing and usually stop. I have to physically stop myself from eating now because quite frankly, I can eat just about anything. I am on pure mental willpower right now. I can't wait to get my fill and hopefully get some restriction! :)

As a side note, my hubby and I are going on vacation for the next 2 weeks (leaving this weekend). We are doing a lot of hiking in multiple state and national parks in Utah and Arizona with a couple of days at the Grande Canyon. I cannot wait as neither of us have ever been out there before! Hopefully, I will be able to stay on my plan and not gain anything while I am away - that makes me a bit nervous.

Have a great vacation and with all of that exercise you will do just fine. Making healthy choices when you can and enjoy a treat too!!

I am hoping this is going to stop me from eating when the time comes. I have done the post op diet for 2 weeks now and I am obsessing about what I get to eat when I can. I am so hungry and want to have a normal meal. My friends are telling me that I am a recluse now because I never want to do anything. If only they understood how hard it is to be around someone who I ate with alot, Or even worse someone who is eating around me. I just want to get this time over with a feel some satisfaction in my belly. I do not want to stuff my face, I just want to be able to sit with my family while they eat and not be tortured, Am I seriously freaky or what? Only 6 more days to go. this post gave me some encouragement that I can possibly lose interest in the one thing that I can not seem to get out of my head.

I am hoping this is going to stop me from eating when the time comes. I have done the post op diet for 2 weeks now and I am obsessing about what I get to eat when I can. I am so hungry and want to have a normal meal. My friends are telling me that I am a recluse now because I never want to do anything. If only they understood how hard it is to be around someone who I ate with alot, Or even worse someone who is eating around me. I just want to get this time over with a feel some satisfaction in my belly. I do not want to stuff my face, I just want to be able to sit with my family while they eat and not be tortured, Am I seriously freaky or what? Only 6 more days to go. this post gave me some encouragement that I can possibly lose interest in the one thing that I can not seem to get out of my head.

It doesn't happen to all of us, and it's takes time to view food differently, but if you set your mind to it, you will do great!

Wow, those weeks after the post surgery diet were really something. You have to be very careful because you are soooo hungry, you want soooo many things to eat and you have very little restriction. It's true what they say, don't really expect to lose too much between the time you are banded and your first fill.

Since my second, very aggressive, fill I have PB'd quite a number of times. all because I wasn't following the rules. I was taking big bites, I wasn't chewing enough and I kept stuffing food in my mouth.

One thing I don't do, though, is drink while I'm eating. I don't know about any of the rest of you but I *can't* drink while I eat. If I do it hurts and the only thing I can do to relieve the pain is to let it come back up. It didn't take too many tries to cure me of that habit!

Back to the topic, I do look at food in a different way. I love bread, but if it is not toasted there is no way it is going down. So now there is no eating a hamburger with a bun or anything with a bun, a sandwich, rolls or anything. I thought if this happened to me that I would be angry because I love bread so much. But I'm not. I think it's like shock therapy. LOL It's very clear that if I do that (eat soft bread) I will do this (PB).

PBing just isn't the food coming right back out, it's painful. Sometimes very painful. It feels like what I imagine a heart attach feels like. Horrible pain and pressure right between my breasts, feeling like I could choke, like I have food stuck in my throat.

I have no choice but to take small bites, chew slowly and thoroughly, and pausing between bites

Having the band is not a miracle cure. You still have to learn how to eat, you have to learn to listen to your body.

For me, food is no longer a reward, its fuel and a job, like exercising or anything else I need to do to remain healthy, its required maintenance.

Its pretty much a chore for me to eat and once you chew your food 30 times per bite its no longer a fun rewarding experience, its an exercise. (And most likely burns calories as well) I have a hard time remembering when I use to use food as something to make me feel good - that time is gone.....

My views on food, my DESIRE for food have compltely changed. Do I think about food? heck ya but not like in the past. I use to go to bed thinking about what I could eat in the morning and the next day. I had my meals planned out b/4 I left the house in the morning. I obsessed about food, eating it all the time! Now.. I don't even give it that much thought. Seriously. I make sure I have my "staples" in my kitchen which for me are the following:

protein drink

refried beans / chili beans / black beans

sharp cheddar cheese

chicken thighs

zucchini, or other veggies

clam chowder/ split pea / chicken noodle

canned diced tomatoes

liquid vitamins

sugar free hazelnut creamer

At night which was my worst time if I have little or no restriction I will chug water! LOL I miss being able to down 32oz of any liquid! I am on my 3rd fill and it's definitely my *sweet spot*... food has ceased to become my obsession. thank god