Pre-op Diet

The most often used pre-op diet consists of using any kind of weight loss shake, not specifically optifast so you do have a choice here. I used slim fast optima and Atkins advantage. There are numerous types of these on the market. Some people love certain ones and another person can say they couldn't stand the same one. Be careful and look at the carbohydrate and protein content so you know what you are getting.

Ok, I am interested in buying the Optifast and benefiber stuff. On the OCC website it says click here for Canadians- I do and it says site not available.

Any Canadians out there that know where to buy this stuff?

Alot of people on here said the Optifast was terrible.....you might want to do your homework. Dr. Miranda told me to buy Metamucial...........

Ok, I am interested in buying the Optifast and benefiber stuff. On the OCC website it says click here for Canadians- I do and it says site not available.

Any Canadians out there that know where to buy this stuff?

My clinic here in Canada provided my Optifast shakes...yucky!!

You may want to chose another kind. Slimfast is good. Where in Canada are you from? I'm in Kitchener, Ontario.

If you are close, I have tons left over, Vanilla and Chocolate....and you can have them!

I really liked the ensure high protein shakes, the homemade vanilla is awesome.

You do eh? I am on my pre-op diet right now and I am using Ensure. I hate it. It tastes "tinny" to me. I bought the flat with the 6 different flavours, and so far only the Chocolate didn't have the weird taste. The Butter-Pecan came in a close second... but not enough to make it worth doing long term. This weekend I am going to buy the "Boost" as they ar ein plastic bottles to see if that's any better.

Taz

The most often used pre-op diet consists of using any kind of weight loss shake, not specifically optifast so you do have a choice here. I used slim fast optima and Atkins advantage. There are numerous types of these on the market. Some people love certain ones and another person can say they couldn't stand the same one. Be careful and look at the carbohydrate and protein content so you know what you are getting.

That's a good point. I have been looking at the calorie and protein content for some of the shakes... they are higher than what the pre-op diet allows for. Gotta be careful what you buy!

Taz

I tried to ask Dr. Miranda a question about carb content Pre-op, but I don't think she understood my question. I want to know if I can use the Mix1 protein and antioxidant shake. It has 29grams of carbs and 15grams of protein for a total of 200 calories. Does it have to be low carb? I think some low carb shakes are pretty gross.

I lost 12 pounds in 14 days with the ensure. I am such a carb-o-holic that I think the protein did it for me. I have NEVER lost more than 5 pounds in a 2 week stretch. The ensure HIGH PROTEIN really kicked it into gear. I hated the berry flavored one but loved the Homemade vanilla shake. I would probably drink them without worrying about protein.

My clinic here in Canada provided my Optifast shakes...yucky!!

You may want to chose another kind. Slimfast is good. Where in Canada are you from? I'm in Kitchener, Ontario.

If you are close, I have tons left over, Vanilla and Chocolate....and you can have them!

I am in BC- But thank you for the offer! I am reading the papers and all it says is not more than 225 cal/serving. I don't find any info on carbs etc...

I feel like I am not getting the proper info from the OCC!

Oh good it just not me missing something important in the paperwork on the shakes. The only guideline we have is not to exceed 225. I looked at other lap band forums and some doctors restrict total max carbs to 50grams PreOP PER DAY.

Anyway, the shake I like has very similar nutritional facts to the Ensure High Protein and I know some of you lost weight with that so it is probably ok. I just want to be able to have some energy and no carb shake is not going to cut it (plus they are yucky). The Opti-fast they sell at OCC as 20g of carbs! So they must not care.