Totally Random Questions and Discussion

memeb

I am currently starting/looking into the whole Lap-Band process. I am 21 and have been heavy/overweight my entire life. I've tried a couple different diets and have been successful but the minute I go off of them, my weight climbs right back up - usually higher than when I started.

My appointments with the Nutritionist/Dietitian, Social Worker, etc. are over the next two weeks but, I have a few questions. I realize I could just ask them but I'd rather get an opinion/answer from someone who has been through the whole experience. I've also been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and have LOVED the comments and information that I've read.

The following are questions that I have:

1. I realize that alcohol contains "empty calories" and carbonation isn't the greatest thing for the band but is the alcohol itself going to harm the band? I am by no means an alcoholic, in fact for my age group (college student) I don't drink as much as my peers (MAYBE once every two weeks and even that would be a lot). Will I be able to go out for drinks with friends and have a drink or two? Possibly something with juice? (I realize this will be long after my surgery:) )

2. I realize there are men on here as well but I have to ask this: Will I be able to continue using birth control?

3. I've read that you can still become pregnant after getting banded - has anyone become pregnant after? Is there anything different from a 'normal' pregnancy?

4. This is a totally random question: What is pb? I've read it in a couple posts and have yet to figure it out :S

5. What happens if food gets stuck? What does it feel like?

That's all the questions for now!! Thanks for any input!

1. I realize that alcohol contains "empty calories" and carbonation isn't the greatest thing for the band but is the alcohol itself going to harm the band? I am by no means an alcoholic, in fact for my age group (college student) I don't drink as much as my peers (MAYBE once every two weeks and even that would be a lot). Will I be able to go out for drinks with friends and have a drink or two? Possibly something with juice? (I realize this will be long after my surgery:) )

Carbonation can cause the band to slip during the first six months, so we drink nothing that is carbonated. Most of us get out of the habit and it’s not great for the band.

Alcohol, love my glass of red wine - its a good antioxidant and low calorie so I drink a couple of them a week and count them in my calories. If you drink too much you will not loose weight and we tend to be affected more by alcohol than others since our caloric intake is low – you need to be careful with it!!

2. I realize there are men on here as well but I have to ask this: Will I be able to continue using birth control?

Yes, you haven't changed your body, you can still get pregnant…..

3. I've read that you can still become pregnant after getting banded - has anyone become pregnant after? Is there anything different from a 'normal' pregnancy?

Many have, most have their fills removed - I have never heard of an issue but know many who have gotten pregnant, seems to happen more when we loose the weight.

4. This is a totally random question: What is pb? I've read it in a couple posts and have yet to figure it out :S

PB'ing: productive burping

This is what happens if something cannot get past the band. It comes up, like a burp, with food in it, (and often lots of saliva since you create saliva when something is stuck, we call this sliming).

5. What happens if food gets stuck? What does it feel like?

See 4.

The following are questions that I have:

1. I realize that alcohol contains "empty calories" and carbonation isn't the greatest thing for the band but is the alcohol itself going to harm the band? I am by no means an alcoholic, in fact for my age group (college student) I don't drink as much as my peers (MAYBE once every two weeks and even that would be a lot). Will I be able to go out for drinks with friends and have a drink or two? Possibly something with juice? (I realize this will be long after my surgery:) ) alchohol should not be a problem except for the empty calories. You will feel the effects quicker so be careful regardings point 2 and 3 below.

2. I realize there are men on here as well but I have to ask this: Will I be able to continue using birth control? You should be able to handle the little pills.

3. I've read that you can still become pregnant after getting banded - has anyone become pregnant after? Is there anything different from a 'normal' pregnancy? Get healthy and it will get easier to conceive. I think you can get the band deflated for during pregnancy.

4. This is a totally random question: What is pb? I've read it in a couple posts and have yet to figure it out :S productive burp. The food you eat does not get into your stomach for a while,so if you chuck that back up there is no stomach acid so its not so harsh.

5. What happens if food gets stuck? What does it feel like?some feel a sharp pain, you will then 'pb' to clear the blockage. You could also 'slime' which is when you produce a ton of mucus to clear the blockage. Thats really gross when you are out in public. Imagine a slobbering great dane dog.

That's all the questions for now!! Thanks for any input!

Good luck

ps It must of taken me 10 mintues to write this since I appear to have repeated everything lisal said. LOL