Smoking pre-op

teyann

OK, I know smoking is bad for you and all the reasons why.

But why do they ask you not to smoke two weeks before the surgery? I have had other surgery's and this has never been a request.

I know quitting would be great- But I am unsure I can kick more than two habits at a time.

Right now I love diet coke, smoking and obviously the food issues.

Does anyone know why they ask this?

Hi Teyann,

I think if you are banded at the OCC, you have to quit or the surgeon won't do the surgery.

I was banded in Canada, and my surgeon recommended I cut down before and after surgery, which I did.

Unfortunately, I am still a smoker, but have to quit two months before my plastic surgery...the plastic surgeon WILL NOT operate on smokers.

So after my trip to the Bahamas in March I am quitting and hoping to have the tummy tuck 6-8 weeks later.

Good luck!!

OK, I know smoking is bad for you and all the reasons why.

But why do they ask you not to smoke two weeks before the surgery? I have had other surgery's and this has never been a request.

I know quitting would be great- But I am unsure I can kick more than two habits at a time.

Right now I love diet coke, smoking and obviously the food issues.

Does anyone know why they ask this?

It has to do with lung function. When your lungs are saturated with the bad gases, tar and nicotine of cigarette smoke they will not absorb oxygen as easily and it's definitely decreased from the non-smoker. When you go under anesthesia your lungs are affected by the medication and they do not work as well, they slow down and you breathe much more shallow in simple terms. When they have both the medicine and all the bad gases of cigs they work even worse and put you at risk of troubles you don't want to have, like stopping breathing, not getting enough oxygen and having it cause some sort of temporary or permanent brain damage as well as increased risk of stroke and post-op pneumonia. Of course this is rare and smokers get operated on all the time but it's a risk. You are choosing an elective surgery and should do EVERYTHING instructed to you by the doctor to decrease your risks of having trouble with the anesthesia as well as increasing your risk of the listed possible complications. The liability for your surgeon also goes up when a patient has smoked as these complications can prove to be life-threatening or even worse cause death and then the family tries to blame it on the surgeon and sues.

It's just not worth the risk. Start using patches today and quit before your surgery, you'll be glad you did!! If you can't quit at least limit yourself to the patch and then maybe 2 cigs when you are not wearing the patch. I know how hard this is I have had to do it, not for this surgery but prior. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but the most rewarding and I feel a TON better.

Hope this helps. Not trying to give a sermon for sure just real reasons to motivate you to quit!!. Cathy's plastic surgeon has it right on with the 2 month thing. I think 2 weeks is very lenient.

Hi Teyann,

I think if you are banded at the OCC, you have to quit or the surgeon won't do the surgery.

I was banded in Canada, and my surgeon recommended I cut down before and after surgery, which I did.

Unfortunately, I am still a smoker, but have to quit two months before my plastic surgery...the plastic surgeon WILL NOT operate on smokers.

So after my trip to the Bahamas in March I am quitting and hoping to have the tummy tuck 6-8 weeks later.

Good luck!!

Kittycat, I am, by no means the morality police, but if you know you can quit in March, don't you think you can quit now. You've gone to great lengths to improve your health, why do anything that might destroy it. My dad has had a stroke, and cancer in his lung, kidney and prostate. He is 67 and looks like he is 97. I don't think he is going to be around much longer and most of it is due to being a life long smoker. I bet with the commitment you have made to lifestyle modification with your diet, you would have no trouble quitting smoking. Good Luck.

Hey ev1. Just a week ago I was 70 cigaretts a day guy sometimes more. I never thought that I be able to quit smoking ever! Gues what I'm smoke free for a week now I even got a no smoking rm @ the hotel(working out of town) it is posible to quit if I was able to do it than ev1 could. I got help CHAMPIX I belive that's the name I don't have it on me it works like charm . Its a 12weeks program 2 small pils a day that's all u have to do take them. The best part I notice that...... mine clothing mine truck and mine rm don't smell like ashtray any more and I can go to a gym right after work and not smell like one. And the 600plus loonies that I save every month now well.....21ft larson fam boat looks like a awsome reward for quiting smoking :). So if thinking bout quitin smoking why not do it today its a perfect day to stop killing you self! Have a nice day :)Marek

Kittycat, I am, by no means the morality police, but if you know you can quit in March, don't you think you can quit now. You've gone to great lengths to improve your health, why do anything that might destroy it. My dad has had a stroke, and cancer in his lung, kidney and prostate. He is 67 and looks like he is 97. I don't think he is going to be around much longer and most of it is due to being a life long smoker. I bet with the commitment you have made to lifestyle modification with your diet, you would have no trouble quitting smoking. Good Luck.

I appreciate your concern, and I do intend to, but with any addiction, timing is everything. I have a tummy tuck planned for the late spring and if I don't quit, I can't have it...and that is my motivation. Motivation is key for me to succeed.

Thanks for caring and I promise I will. ((Hugs))

Hey ev1. Just a week ago I was 70 cigaretts a day guy sometimes more. I never thought that I be able to quit smoking ever! Gues what I'm smoke free for a week now I even got a no smoking rm @ the hotel(working out of town) it is posible to quit if I was able to do it than ev1 could. I got help CHAMPIX I belive that's the name I don't have it on me it works like charm . Its a 12weeks program 2 small pils a day that's all u have to do take them. The best part I notice that...... mine clothing mine truck and mine rm don't smell like ashtray any more and I can go to a gym right after work and not smell like one. And the 600plus loonies that I save every month now well.....21ft larson fam boat looks like a awsome reward for quiting smoking :). So if thinking bout quitin smoking why not do it today its a perfect day to stop killing you self! Have a nice day :)Marek

Congratulations, that's amazing...I will write the name of that pill down for the future!! Keep it up you are doing awesome!

A bunch of coworkers of mine went on Chantix and had great results... they said it takes the "pleasure" out of smoking, so there isn't a desire for it. Weird, but cool.

You've probably seen the Chantix ad on TV - it's the one with the adorable little turtle running, er, walking a race.

My doctor told me I have to go off my birth control pills 2 weeks before the surgery (because of clotting risks). Yikes. I've had gallbladder surgery and that doctor never mentioned that!

Guest jodbug65

I was reading about the guy who used Champix as a stop smoking aid. I just wanted to let everyone know that it's a brand-new drug and both my mother and my cousin had liver issues while quitting and using it. They both had jaundice and were instructed to immediately quit using Champix by their doctors.

I know a lot of us are facing this issue before our surgeries and I thought I would let you all know that there's a substantial risk involved with using Champix. I'm super glad it worked for him however- Congrats! I'm going to make my first attempt to quit tomorrow, wish me luck!!!

I expect I'll get slammed for this answer but if you can make the decision to drastically change your life with the band smoking can't be that far behind, can it? I've smoked a pack a day for over 25 years and I quit before I went into the hospital in August. I haven't smoked since. My issue is my hands out of habit reach for the package, my body doesn't want the nicotine the behaviour of smoking wants attention if that makes any sense. I take the tools I've learned through banding and apply it to not smoking. I change my focus, do not have cigarettes anywhere near me (hubby still smokes) and removed all ashtrays from my vicinity. So far so good ...

Jann

I was reading about the guy who used Champix as a stop smoking aid. I just wanted to let everyone know that it's a brand-new drug and both my mother and my cousin had liver issues while quitting and using it. They both had jaundice and were instructed to immediately quit using Champix by their doctors.

I know a lot of us are facing this issue before our surgeries and I thought I would let you all know that there's a substantial risk involved with using Champix. I'm super glad it worked for him however- Congrats! I'm going to make my first attempt to quit tomorrow, wish me luck!!!

It's Chantix, not Champix. And I have known several people who have used it very successfully with no problems. There is no more of a risk with this than there is with any other drug. Maybe your mother and cousin had other issues that led to liver problems, but that is very rare for this pill. And actually, it isn't that new. It's been out for a few years now. Not saying they didn't have problems using the pill, just saying that it is rare and shouldn't dissuade others from trying it. It works like a charm for most people, but not all.

If you get it in the US it is called Chantix - I got some in TJ and its called Champix.

Same product - same company (Pfizer) just a different name ;)

Accomplished to cut down a lot and only have a cigarette after a "meal". I really plan on quitting for good in the very near future, but haven't had the strong/right mindset yet :ph34r:

With every type of med's you take, there is a risk experiencing side effects - the people I know using it, had no problem so far.

Jo I'm so sorry your mom and cousin had to experience the liver issues - hope they are o.k. now.

I am sorry your family had such terrible health problems. I do have to add my 2 cents again though.

Smoking will kill you, one way or another that's a given. The risks of side effects of this drug are small compared to death!!

I prescribe Chantix for patients all of the time. You must be careful to monitor yourself for depression, mood issues while taking it. Within two weeks it makes cigarettes taste odd (like they are stale). This medicine sits on the nicotine receptor sites so it makes your body think you have nicotine so any cravings you would normally have are not there. You still have the habit stuff left, like, "it is break time, I should have a cig" or "I am in the car, it is time to have a cig." You are supposed to quit smoking the second week into taking it but you can also keep smoking and gradually the taste being weird and there being no "high" to the smoking, and no craving to have a cig RIGHT NOW!!!!!!, you begin smoking 1/2 the cig, then less times per day (because, again, what is the point/pleasure to it.) You buy a pack that lasts you a week, then 20 days, and after three months, what is the point. Then you begin forgetting to take either the am or pm dose (whichever is the most bothersome to take) and a month later you no longer smoke, care about it, crave it, and barely miss it. The studys have included people on it up to a year. Don't be in any hurry to go off of it if it helps. It is great stuff. As always, if you have a hx of liver issues, have your doctor follow you more closely.

Now, the reason you have to stop smoking for surgeries it that nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning that when you smoke the veins get smaller, meaning less oxygen to the surgery site, meaning decreased healing and increased recovery time and possiblility of incisions opening up spontaneously (dehiscence). Not a fun thing. This is why people who quit smoking look less pasty and yellow after a few weeks- more oxygen in the blood.

I am sorry your family had such terrible health problems. I do have to add my 2 cents again though.

Smoking will kill you, one way or another that's a given. The risks of side effects of this drug are small compared to death!!

I have got to agree with Julie on this one. I was a smoker but quit back in 1986 and I am greatful that I was able to do it cold turkey. It is really a nasty habit and in this day and age there is no reason for anybody to continue to do it except out of habit and addiction. Most of us are a little obsessive/compulsive or we wouldn't have the issues we have with the need for excssive food and drugs that our bodies don't require to live. I remember seeing a woman on Oprah once who got a gastric bypass and then became an alcoholic because her old drug of choice was no longer an option. I don't mean to sound preachy but I have been in therapy a time or two in my life and I know that addictive personalities will hang on to whatever they can to keep themselves numbed out. If we have to face the food issue through the band, why not face the need to use other substances as well? I have decided to take up some hand stitching work in the evenings to keep my mind of the night eating that made me fat. Just trying to be helpful, hope no one takes offence.

Cheers,

KIM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jodbug65

Wow, lots of info! My mother and my aunt have no liver issues whatsoever and I live in Canada where it's called Champix. I wasn't posting on this thread to get anyone up in arms over this issue, I just thought it was important to let all of you know. Everybody reacts differently to drugs and both of their doctors said liver issues can arise with Champix. My mother also experienced depression and had a very hard time with it.

I also agree with the statement made regarding how smoking is going to kill you anyways and taking a drug to help you quit is far more healthy- however, it is not when your life is in risk.

I simply put it out there for those people considering using Champix/Chantix as an aid to quit smoking, especially when there are things like the patch and nicotine gum that have far less risk attached to them. To those individuals who have used Champix/Chanitx and had success, congratulations. For those considering it, consider the benefits as well as the risks associated with it before jumping on the bandwagon. What works well for some does not work so well for others.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in here too.

Nicotine restricts the regenerative processes of you body. (i.e. you won't heal as fast as someone who isn't smoking)

Also, to give you an example, I'm a non-smoker, but in recovery, I had a problem coming around. My blood O2 was a little low (nothing major, 90-92%)..but I'm a non-smoker. If you have any kind of apnea, or lesser lung function, you could suffer complications.

So, bearing those two bits of information in mind, reduced healing capacity, and decreased lung function, it's a pretty obvious choice, imo...even if you just quit for the surgery. It's sound advice.

• 6 months later...
A bunch of coworkers of mine went on Chantix and had great results... they said it takes the "pleasure" out of smoking, so there isn't a desire for it. Weird, but cool.

You've probably seen the Chantix ad on TV - it's the one with the adorable little turtle running, er, walking a race.

My doctor told me I have to go off my birth control pills 2 weeks before the surgery (because of clotting risks). Yikes. I've had gallbladder surgery and that doctor never mentioned that!

I swear by Chantix, I'm 54 days smoke free........ the best drug ever! It's amazing I smoked 31 years and have tried to stop 5 times in the last 7 years!