What type of drugs are safe to take with the band?

I have ordered Dr. Ortiz' book, but I haven't received it yet. I am sure it will answer most of my questions, but I was wondering about appetite suppressant drugs.

I have a local Dr. who does a weight loss clinic. 10 yrs. ago I lost 105lbs. going to her, but that was with the help of adipex. When I got down to 150lbs. she would no longer let me have them. My work schedule, (teacher) became a problem when she changed her office hours to morning only and as I began to gain my weight back, I couldn't get in to see her every two weeks.

I am a bit worried about the 21 day liquid only phase, and I was wondering if adipex(phentermine) is allowed during that timeframe?

I have my mind made up to be successful either way, I do not intend to risk eating solid food, especially since I am paying for the band myself. But, if I can make it a bit easier on myself during those trying weeks, why not?

Are appetite suppressants allowed?

Thanks,

Kimberly

No Idea on the drugs but I will say days 4-7 were the hard ones for me (Clear liquid stage) But as soon as I got on creamy Im doing great. No hunger. You can do it I promise :) I start eating on friday (know Im scared to eat) I just think of my band as my very best friend that i want to work and it keeps me going!

Regarding your question about the "appetite suppressants" ....

The post op diet might not be easy for you (some ppl are hungry, some are not hungry at all), but if you consider, that your goal is to lose weight and get healthier, than you have your answer right there, right? ;)

Your band will be your new best buddy in the weight loss arena :)

Good Luck - and keep us posted!

They have post poned procedures for people taking appitie surpressants before surgery. They can really do harm while putting you to sleep. Call and ask, but when I have been on them in the past they always make me stop3 to 4 weeks before. The surgery before last I had been on them and they had a real hard time getting my blood pressure to come back up. It was supose to be in/out and I ended up in the hospital for 2 days. It was quit scary for my family. All I had done then was a bladder tack.

No Idea on the drugs but I will say days 4-7 were the hard ones for me (Clear liquid stage) But as soon as I got on creamy Im doing great. No hunger. You can do it I promise :) I start eating on friday (know Im scared to eat) I just think of my band as my very best friend that i want to work and it keeps me going!

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence. It means a lot. Good luck on eating again. I know I will be scared to death when I get to that point.

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence. It means a lot. Good luck on eating again. I know I will be scared to death when I get to that point.

Don't be scared. it's a big step to getting healthy but it's so worth it....there will be struggles and there will be triumphs.

If the band does it's job, appetite suppressants will never be necessary. I recall hearing about a girl who was banded before me, who went into cardiac arrest during surgery..they are not healthy. I would not recommend them.

Good Luck, you will do great!

Don't be scared. it's a big step to getting healthy but it's so worth it....there will be struggles and there will be triumphs.

If the band does it's job, appetite suppressants will never be necessary. I recall hearing about a girl who was banded before me, who went into cardiac arrest during surgery..they are not healthy. I would not recommend them.

Good Luck, you will do great!

Thanks Cathy, you are always so supportive! You are a valuable member of this forum and I really do appreciate you.

Thanks again,

Kimberly