I'm pretty devastated right now...and I think I need a hug...

Hey guys,

Most of you who know me know that it's not like me to come here and whine about things. I truly believe that keeping a positive attitude is so important when making life changing decisions and I try really hard to stay positive. But, I've been crying all afternoon and am pretty devastated at the news I received today.

You know that 10 days after my lap band surgery I had to have knee surgery for a meniscus tear? Well I have NOT been doing well at physical therapy and the same pain I had before surgery is still there, but worse. Two days ago I was getting dressed and felt a tear-like feeling in my knee. It shot up my leg like the last tear did. Now, the LAST tear that I JUST had surgery on happened to me A YEAR AND 1/2 AGO and after seeing FOUR doctors, someone just diagnosed it!!! Well, I went for my 3 week checkup today and not only did the doctor tell me that my knee pain was arthritis, he refused to even ACKNOWLEDGE the "tear feeling!" He dismissed me with 3 weeks worth of Celebrex and told me that if it was still there in 3 weeks that I'd need a total knee replacement!!!!

I am about to lose my mind I think because I am do damned upset! I CAN'T live like this! The pain is so horrendous that I have to walk with a cane and even then I am in agony every time I put weight on the leg. I have not been able to work for 7 weeks, and now he says I have to be off of the leg another 3 weeks and that almost certainly will lead to the knee replacement, which will be probably 6 weeks before I can be back on it, if not longer!

But beyond the pain and the fear of "not knowing," I am unable to exercise or do much more than walk from bed to a chair and I weighed myself this morning and lost one more pound...big whoop!!! Truly...I know that losing ANYTHING at this time is better than gaining, but it just depresses me SO much! I am scheduled for my first fill next week, so maybe I will lose more then...but this whole deal just STINKS!!!! :lb6:

Sorry to be such a "Debbie Downer." ;(

Vix,

I wish I could say just the right words to make you feel better, but I don't know that I can.

Doctors can be really annoying like that sometimes, what can I say? I know how annoying it can be to have a doctor seemingly dismiss your problems and tell you to wait it out and then come back.

I hope everything turns out well.

You're doing great, and we're always here for you!

--TRS

Hello Vix,

You'll make it - I know its bad, I've had two knee surgeries to date, one sister had knee replacement and the other broke hers in 27 places - they thought they might have to actually amputate her leg - they didn't, she made it and she's doing great. Its painful, but you're right staying positive and another note - keeping the pain meds low is key along with physical therapy once you're able. (From what I've seen it’s the people who get stuck on the pain meds who end up doing badly).

Here’s a big Hug for you – take care and stay strong!

Lisa

Vix,

sweetie I am giving you a big hug right now. I am so sorry for this trouble and pain you are going through. I have never had anything as severe as your situation, so I cannot totally relate, but I have had smaller things that lasted what seemed like forever and going to several doctors and getting wrong diagnosis. So I can say that I know how frustrating this can be and I am sure it's much much worse for you. I will keep you in my prayers and be sending well wishes your way. You can get through this. I know it seems like it will never end, but you can do it. Try another Dr. and for heaven sakes demand pain killers.

Oh Vix...big (((hugs))),

I know it all seems hopeless now and having had two surgeries so close together and enduring knee (which has to be the worst) is not fun.

Take a deep breath and some percs and remember that you need time to heal...if your knee does not get better, the surgeon will have to provide an alternative treatment...you are too young to be walking with a cane.

Try not to dwell too much on your weight loss, that will happen...I lost the majority of my weight without exercising, I just started now. You can do it too.

Take care sweetie, we are here for you anytime you need a shoulder.

Cathy

Hey guys,

Most of you who know me know that it's not like me to come here and whine about things. I truly believe that keeping a positive attitude is so important when making life changing decisions and I try really hard to stay positive. But, I've been crying all afternoon and am pretty devastated at the news I received today.

Sorry to be such a "Debbie Downer." ;(

Vix,

I know it's tough and hurting sure doesn't help but we have to just make lemonade as corny as that sounds. I spent most of August in the hospital, a week in critical care, came out of the hospital and made myself gain weight to compensate for my frailty. My fill doc said it was absolutely the right thing for me to do. I got back into band-life when my strength returned and was just feeling good about things when I fell down my stairs and landed on my ankle promptly breaking it. No exercise for me even though I was totally stoked about getting into my program and can't drive my car because it's my right ankle leaving me housebound and frustrated. Trust me when I tell you I feel some of your pain. The best we can do is be good with band-life for now and the rest will follow.

Warm Hugs,

Jann

Vix - I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through! I can imagine how crushed you must feel after everything you've already gone through.

Try to remember that this will all get better. I'm really impressed that you're losing any weight despite your lack of mobility. You're doing amazingly well with all this - and you'll come through stronger and healthier.

Hang in there!!

Susan

Also - Hi to Jann! I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a rough summer too!

I hope you get better soon too.

Thanks very much! It's all good. I just wanted Vix to know she wasn't alone. My program will be there waiting for me when the cast comes off. Hope you are well, theuse!!

Vix and Jann,

I hope you both get better real soon.

I have to tell you I thought today was the day from hell for me, everything that could go wrong did go wrong (a co-worker said it was "the reverse Midas Touch"). I now feel so ashamed, because it was all petty stuff! I've firmly been put back in my place!

Get better both of you, my thoughts and prayers are for your speedy recovery!

Group Hug!!!

Go to the nearest teaching hospital and make an appointment to see the attending for the orthopedic department. They are usually up on the newest and latest. Don't like old docs because their ideas are old. Don't know if your doc is old but if not he is a bastard- so get rid of him. Sounds like something weird is happening and he should have, at the very least, sent you for an MRI.

Hey Vix,

If I have learned anything from the surgeries that I have had, I have learned the down time that is required has always led to weight gain. I commend you for still losing when you can't do anything but sit still and watch tv or lay around. It is hard not to keep yourself occupied without food during this time. I really am sorry for your pain. Man, it has been a rough month for you. You are always so positive and encouraging. You deserve a bit of a breakdown, it may make you stronger. Big hug from Heidi.

Vix,

I know it's tough and hurting sure doesn't help but we have to just make lemonade as corny as that sounds. I spent most of August in the hospital, a week in critical care, came out of the hospital and made myself gain weight to compensate for my frailty. My fill doc said it was absolutely the right thing for me to do. I got back into band-life when my strength returned and was just feeling good about things when I fell down my stairs and landed on my ankle promptly breaking it. No exercise for me even though I was totally stoked about getting into my program and can't drive my car because it's my right ankle leaving me housebound and frustrated. Trust me when I tell you I feel some of your pain. The best we can do is be good with band-life for now and the rest will follow.

Warm Hugs,

Jann

OMG!! I am so happy that you are on the road to recovery...sorry to hear that you were not well...take care Jann!!!

Thank you SO much everyone for being so kind. I can't believe how emotional I am over this! I am still fighting off tears off and on today, but hopefully it will get better. I'm somewhere between anger, sadness and devastation now. I know that there are so many others who have it so much worse than I do (Jann for instance). I do appreciate more than I can verbalize eveybody here and how everyone all helps each other out. It means so much!

And...to OICU812...please not that...that would be the FINAL straw I'm afraid...;)

Thank you SO much everyone for being so kind. I can't believe how emotional I am over this! I am still fighting off tears off and on today, but hopefully it will get better. I'm somewhere between anger, sadness and devastation now. I know that there are so many others who have it so much worse than I do (Jann for instance). I do appreciate more than I can verbalize eveybody here and how everyone all helps each other out. It means so much!

And...to OICU812...please not that...that would be the FINAL straw I'm afraid...;)

Sweetie, not to make light of how you feel, you are certainly entitled to it -- good Lord! This too shall pass and you will come out of it stronger and even more determined. I know it doesn't feel like that right now but wait for it, it will happen. Since I can't do my full program I've decided that when I take the time to watch TV, for example, I'll keep some five pound weights behind the sofa and do some upper body workouts. Last night I did some stretching from the hips up. At least that way I feel like I'm still accomplishing something. Just keep seeing that healthy thinner girl in your mind's eye and it will all come together for you!

Warm hugs!

Jann

Vix,

Honey I am so sorry to hear about all your troubles!! ><' HUGS!! I know that Dr's can be dismissive, condescending (acting like they know more about our bodies than we do) and insensitive - it really sucks because they are supposed to be one of the people we KNOW we can talk to and not be judged. I would have given that Dr. a piece of my mind that is for sure. I hope that everything turns out okay with your knee - you will be in my prayers.

As far as the weight loss - - I feel you on that one 110% Like you, I was struggling before having my first fill. I am telling you from experience - just keep holdin on girl. Once you get that first fill, things really start to change!! Since my first fill I have lost 14 lbs - I have had 2 fills so far, but my first one was on Aug 20. So just try hard to keep a positive attitude and you will surely continue to be a success!! ><'

ARGH!!!! I am so sorry you are suffering like that!!!! My mom has fibromyalgia (sp?) and all kinds of other health problems and is in constant pain and I just can't imagine that. I hope you are able to get some relief. One thing I have learned is that you have to be really firm with doctors and if they can't help you don't feel bad about finding another one. I say that, but i'm not gonna lie i'm not the best at taking my own advice! :mellow:

Take care and I sincerely hope you get to feeling better soon! Happy thoughts from down the road! :)

Shelby

Truly...you guys have brought up my spirits!!! I am gonna do some "sit down" exercises like Jann suggested and I am having my first fill in less than a week...so I am thinking that will definitely help! And, everyone who said that doctors can be jerks are SO RIGHT! (Dr. O and Dr. M are the exceptions)...;)