Horrible 1st Fill Experience

My friend and I were banded together at the OCC August 18th. Beforehand, we talked to my sisters' doctor in Dallas and he said he would do our fills (Dr. Robert Carter). He was highly recommended by my sister (who is hard to please). She raved and raved about him and so we were excited to get to go to him. Well, I flew to Dallas last Monday and my friend picked me up and we went to our appointment.

I have NEVER been treated so badly!! First of all, I noticed the front desk people were very very short with us and the receptionist wrote "MEXICO" on our chart. My friend went in, they weighed her and shuffled her off to another room where the doctor came in and shoved a cup of that chalky stuff at her and told her to take a swig. She drank the whole thing and he got mad. He did the flouro on her and told her that her band was at an angle. She asked if that was bad and he said, "That's what you get for going out of the country". She asked if it would affect her weight loss and he told her, "Who knows?" She told him she hasn't lost much weight and she had alot of questions and he ignored her. He pushed her back on the table, raised her shirt and shoved the needle in. She said she was kind of startled that he was acting that way. She told him she was kind of bummed about not losing weight and now her band is at an angle (almost crying) and he said, "Again, what to you expect if you go to Mexico?"

I was the next patient in and was treated very coldly also. It was like he was pissed that we went to Mexico for surgery. If anybody would have bothered to ask me why I would of told them I went to the person I felt was the most qualified. Anyway, the doctor came in, shoved the chalked stuff at me, took the picture and laid me back. The needle hurt like hell. He lifted me up, took another picture and told me to come back in a month.

I swear we were both in that office for MAYBE ten minutes. It was like a whirlwind. When we got in the car we compared stories and realized we are never going back to him. Anyway, just wanted to vent. It was a weird experience to be treated like a second-class citizen. I work in a doctors office and I always make sure the doctor introduces himself to new patients and takes the time to explain or ask any questions. By the way, this fill cost me $300, which had to be paid up-front!

Has anyone had a good fill experience in Texas? We were treated so well in Mexico that it was kind of an eye-opener! Sorry this is so long...

That is absolutely wrong on every level. I'm finding generally speaking more and more that fill doctors do not tend to be warm and fuzzy, have very little dialogue and there are definitely prejudices with Mexican patients. It's more like poke and pay. If you can find a group like Julie outlined you are truly blessed. Clearly they are out there! If I hadn't done all my own homework along the way I would be absolutely clueless about band-life. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My first fill hurt like hell I'm told because of the scar tissue but the second one was way easier. Depending where you go for fills they tend to go small for the first two or three fills to see how your body adapts. I'm at a comfortable fill level right now at 1.8 cc in a 4 cc.

I hope your next fill experience is a better one!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience for your first fill, and your friend too! I'm not sure what the doctor thought he was gaining by putting you down and being unfriendly. Clearly he's not hurting for any business if he just wants to run people off.

I had my surgery done in Houston by Dr. St. Laurent and he is great! The office staff is very friendly and the doctor is wonderful too.

I do have to say though, he is the one who did my surgery so I'm not coming in from having my surgery elsewhere and getting fills, so I can't comment on that. I would hope that he would treat any patient with the same respect though.

Good luck finding someone who will treat you kindly and with respect.

Denise

That is just awful for a so called "professional" to treat 2 patients so poorly. Bedside manner was obviously not taught at his medical school, or else he flunked!!!

I have had 5 times now that I have been "poked" for a fill/unfill. Only 1 time did I even feel the needle go in and that was from dear Dr. So at the OCC. Mind you it only pinched and I believe that is almost to be expected. My last 2 "pokes" were blind and I truly did not feel anything but a tiny, tiny little "tweek" when the needle went in, almost felt nothing.

check into Fill Center USA if there are any in your area. My experience with them was great. Yes they do cost $349 the first time but after that it is much less. And frankly for the education and care I received it was well worth the money. Of course each provider is different but in general I have not heard anything bad from any Fill Center, if so please excuse my memory loss, I'm a little low on nutrition right now!!

My friend and I were banded together at the OCC August 18th. Beforehand, we talked to my sisters' doctor in Dallas and he said he would do our fills (Dr. Robert Carter). He was highly recommended by my sister (who is hard to please). She raved and raved about him and so we were excited to get to go to him. Well, I flew to Dallas last Monday and my friend picked me up and we went to our appointment.

I have NEVER been treated so badly!! First of all, I noticed the front desk people were very very short with us and the receptionist wrote "MEXICO" on our chart. My friend went in, they weighed her and shuffled her off to another room where the doctor came in and shoved a cup of that chalky stuff at her and told her to take a swig. She drank the whole thing and he got mad. He did the flouro on her and told her that her band was at an angle. She asked if that was bad and he said, "That's what you get for going out of the country". She asked if it would affect her weight loss and he told her, "Who knows?" She told him she hasn't lost much weight and she had alot of questions and he ignored her. He pushed her back on the table, raised her shirt and shoved the needle in. She said she was kind of startled that he was acting that way. She told him she was kind of bummed about not losing weight and now her band is at an angle (almost crying) and he said, "Again, what to you expect if you go to Mexico?"

I was the next patient in and was treated very coldly also. It was like he was pissed that we went to Mexico for surgery. If anybody would have bothered to ask me why I would of told them I went to the person I felt was the most qualified. Anyway, the doctor came in, shoved the chalked stuff at me, took the picture and laid me back. The needle hurt like hell. He lifted me up, took another picture and told me to come back in a month.

I swear we were both in that office for MAYBE ten minutes. It was like a whirlwind. When we got in the car we compared stories and realized we are never going back to him. Anyway, just wanted to vent. It was a weird experience to be treated like a second-class citizen. I work in a doctors office and I always make sure the doctor introduces himself to new patients and takes the time to explain or ask any questions. By the way, this fill cost me $300, which had to be paid up-front!

Has anyone had a good fill experience in Texas? We were treated so well in Mexico that it was kind of an eye-opener! Sorry this is so long...

Francie,

I live in Dallas too. I will be banded next Friday. I plan to have my Fills by Dr. Jay. http://www.texaslapbandcenter.com/jay.html

He was on the list of recommended Dr's that Lisa gave me from the OCC, BUT he was also the Dr. my primary care Dr. wanted to do the surgery if I had it done in the states. He charges $250.00 with Flouro.

I guarantee you, IF I am treated this poorly..... they will have a LOUD MOUTH TEXAN on their hands. lol I will not stand for bad treatment. If they have ANY patients waiting in their waiting room, I will make sure to make a scene! HAHA

Just not right. You should definitely complain about him, make sure he remembers you, instead of you remembering him. (a-hole)

D~

Thanks for all the kind responses! Dana you are so funny! Anyone who knows me couldn't believe I didn't smack the doctor right then and there but I was really very surprised he treated me that way! I was one mad Texan as well!! My sister was so surprised he acted as he did because she said he always calls her by name and then HUGS her when she leaves. Needless to say, she will not return as well. I am looking into filing a report on him and believe me, he will get a scathing letter! There is a new bariatric surgeon here in Amarillo so I am going to call him to see if he will do a fill.

Thanks for all the kind responses! Dana you are so funny! Anyone who knows me couldn't believe I didn't smack the doctor right then and there but I was really very surprised he treated me that way! I was one mad Texan as well!! My sister was so surprised he acted as he did because she said he always calls her by name and then HUGS her when she leaves. Needless to say, she will not return as well. I am looking into filing a report on him and believe me, he will get a scathing letter! There is a new bariatric surgeon here in Amarillo so I am going to call him to see if he will do a fill.

Oh, I didn't realize you were in Amarillo! Well, I will let you know how it goes with me the first week of December! :o) Best of Luck to you!