Soon to be Newbie in Alaska

Hello all,

I have my banding scheduled for july of '09. I am really looking forward to getting banded. I currently weigh 275, and at only 5' 1", that is way unhealthy. I am completely comfortable with entrusting my surgery to Dr. Ortiz. The only concern I have is the post surgery fills. I live in Alaska, and getting to have regular fills is a major concern of mine. The only way in or out from where I live is by either boat, or plane, so being able to have regular fills may be a problem. The second concern I have is where do I find a physician who is willing to do fills in Alaska? I hope that some of you experienced bandsters would have some advice for me. I know this is a big step, but I look at it as a huge step forward, instead of all of those small steps forward, followed by the huge steps backward.

Hello all,

I have my banding scheduled for july of '09. I am really looking forward to getting banded. I currently weigh 275, and at only 5' 1", that is way unhealthy. I am completely comfortable with entrusting my surgery to Dr. Ortiz. The only concern I have is the post surgery fills. I live in Alaska, and getting to have regular fills is a major concern of mine. The only way in or out from where I live is by either boat, or plane, so being able to have regular fills may be a problem. The second concern I have is where do I find a physician who is willing to do fills in Alaska? I hope that some of you experienced bandsters would have some advice for me. I know this is a big step, but I look at it as a huge step forward, instead of all of those small steps forward, followed by the huge steps backward.

Have you asked the OCC if they have Dr's they recommend in Alasksa? IF not, talk to Lori and see if she has some.

THere is another lap band forum called lapbandtalk.com (you might want to join that one)

I went in and entered alaska fill doctors in the search field and saw this one......

I have the best fill Dr. Dr. Leland Jones of Medical Park Family Care (Anchorage) will do lap band patients and doesnt care where you had your surgery. He charges $195 which is the cheapest I have found. He doesnt use fluro but if you need xrays or whatever he will set you up. His phone number is (907) 279-8486, His office is on corner of Lake Otis and Northern Lights. Never takes long to get in to see him.

You have plenty of time to find someone, no worries! :o)

Hi Xray and welcome.

If you can't find a fill doctor, talk to your regular doctor and explain the problem. Perhaps he/she would be willing to learn how to do it or have a nurse in his office learn to do it.

Right now I'm talking with my next door neighbors. They own a business that does autologous transfusions (recycling your own blood during surgery and using it instead of donated blood) and they and everyone who works for them are nurses. They are selling their business and looking for other things to do in their semi-retirement.

We've been talking about them doing fills and they are very interested.

What I'm getting at is if you are somewhere where fills aren't available or easily obtainable, do everything you can to make it happen!

Jena