Is anyone here 18 months or more post op

I have a few questions for you if you are more than 18 months post op. I find most of the people on here that are posting are newly banded or have been banded for a short time, which makes sense they have the most to ask and talk about!

What I would like to know is how are you doing 18+ months post op?

Have you kept the weight off?

Do you still get PBing?

Do you still feel restriction? Do you still get fills?

Have you had any problems where you needed to have the band removed?

Do you see yourself removing the band in the future?

Have you gone back to your old eating habits?

Has your "new tummy, pouch" stretched, and if so does getting fills help?

If you could do it over again would you, even with all the complications that you may have had?

Has your body wanted to reject the band, was it something that you were able to over come?

I guess Im asking these questions because I have heard that 10% of people that get the band have had to have it removed around the 18 month mark. Like my aunt just did, she was at the 15th month mark. Now I know that most of the questions are rare and dont happen to most of the people that have been banded. But just thought I would throw the question out there and see what you have to say!

Im also going to email the OCC to see if they can help me with these questions, I will let you know what they say.

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jenelle

What I would like to know is how are you doing 18+ months post op? Great, lost over 125 pounds

Have you kept the weight off? Yes

Do you still get PBing? Very seldom (Stress, period)

Do you still feel restriction? Yes, but I had much of my fill removed so it is lighter,

Do you still get fills? No

Have you had any problems where you needed to have the band removed? No

Do you see yourself removing the band in the future? No

Have you gone back to your old eating habits? No

Has your "new tummy, pouch" stretched, and if so does getting fills help? No – I still eat small amounts, its just my life now

If you could do it over again would you, even with all the complications that you may have had? Didn’t have any complications, so yes

Has your body wanted to reject the band, was it something that you were able to over come? Nope, never heard of this

OK, here’s the other side of what we forget, I lost a lot of weight, had skin, had extended tummy tuck, (What they call a body lift in Mexico) lippo, breast lift, then due to continued weight loss had augmentation to get me back to a C, but opps somehow became a small D. (I like them very much though) I have peels and fills, and take really good care of my face to make sure I don’t loose the weight and end up looking old. Most people who haven't seen me during my weight loose have no idea who I am and (I did this yesterday) I have to convince them its me. Pretty odd sometimes!

If I can get my scanner to work I'd post my pictures of me during our last cruise - I just feel like a different person going from a size 22 to a size 4/6 pants, 8 dress.

What I would like to know is how are you doing 18+ months post op? Great! Very happy.

Have you kept the weight off? Still working on it (had a baby 6 months ago) but losing about 8-10 per month

Do you still get PBing? Only if I am not careful

Do you still feel restriction? Do you still get fills? Restriction is great, I'll get a fill when I need one but haven't needed one since April

Have you had any problems where you needed to have the band removed? Nope

Do you see yourself removing the band in the future?No way

Have you gone back to your old eating habits? Couldn't if I tried (though I sometimes do binge on cookie dough but it's rare and I pay for it with Pbing or feeling awful

Has your "new tummy, pouch" stretched, and if so does getting fills help?No stretching at all

If you could do it over again would you, even with all the complications that you may have had? Absolutely

Has your body wanted to reject the band, was it something that you were able to over come? I think this is very rare

I haven't heard that 10% thing but everyone has different stats they quote and studies, very few have actual data to back up what they say... Chances are if you follow the rules you won't have any complications. Like everything in life, there's always a chance of something going wrong but it is really rare to have major problems, much more rare than with GB.

Good luck!

Karen

Thanks Gals for your replies. I knew that you would only have great things to say but you never know! Would you have the lapband over gastric bypass? I guess this whole thing about not being able to find a fill doctor in Alberta has me second guessing having this surgery. I know that I could go down to Montana and get filled but that would cost me upwards of $1000 each time I needed one. And what if I was filled and needed some removed having to go back down to Great Falls Montana would be just to much money for me and the time too, its a 5 hour drive.

I just hope that my family doctor will be able to help me find a doctor here in Alberta to do my fills even though I am having the surgery by one of the best in the world in Mexico!! I will let you know what he says after my appointment next Sunday with him.

Jenelle

What I would like to know is how are you doing 18+ months post op? GREAT 26 MONTHS OUT NOW

Have you kept the weight off? I DID GAIN 8 POUNDS THIS SUMMER WITH GETTING MY FILL REMOVED AND GETTING A CHEST IMPLANTED

Do you still get PBing? NO, I NEVER KEPT MY BAND TIGHT BEING I KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES

Do you still feel restriction? Do you still get fills? I DO NEED A FILL BUT I'M DOING OK WITHOUT IT

Have you had any problems where you needed to have the band removed? NO BUT MY FRIEND I WENT DOWN WITH, HER BAND SLIPPED

Do you see yourself removing the band in the future? NO NO NO LOL

Have you gone back to your old eating habits? NO

Has your "new tummy, pouch" stretched, and if so does getting fills help? NO

If you could do it over again would you, even with all the complications that you may have had? OH HELL YA!!!

Has your body wanted to reject the band, was it something that you were able to over come? NO PROBLEMS THERE :)

Thanks Gals for your replies. I knew that you would only have great things to say but you never know! Would you have the lapband over gastric bypass? I guess this whole thing about not being able to find a fill doctor in Alberta has me second guessing having this surgery. I know that I could go down to Montana and get filled but that would cost me upwards of $1000 each time I needed one. And what if I was filled and needed some removed having to go back down to Great Falls Montana would be just to much money for me and the time too, its a 5 hour drive.

I just hope that my family doctor will be able to help me find a doctor here in Alberta to do my fills even though I am having the surgery by one of the best in the world in Mexico!! I will let you know what he says after my appointment next Sunday with him.

Jenelle

Dr. Botha and Dr. Mitchell in Calgary both do fills for around $100 from what I know. I haven't heard that they've stopped doing fills, only Dr. DesC..(I can never spell his name right.)

Dr. Botha and Dr. Mitchell in Calgary both do fills for around $100 from what I know. I haven't heard that they've stopped doing fills, only Dr. DesC..(I can never spell his name right.)

Unless something changed very recently Dr. Botha doesn't take Mexican patients. A couple of months ago he was looking into legal liability issues to maybe change that. Dunno about Mitchell. Dr. Descouteax hasn't stopped doing fills, he just isn't taking on new patients right now.

Jann

Thanks, Dr. Mitchell now charges $5000 for 5 yrs post op care! but I will phone Dr. Botha

Thank you for the names!!

Jenelle

$5,000?! That's freaking insane. Do you know what else you get with this "post op care" besides just fills? Because that's just nuts.