I am thinking about getting the lap band but i have some questions.

hello, i am "band" new and i thinking about getting the lap band.

i am 16 years old and i currently weight 296 pounds. i am 5'10". and i wear a size xxl and a size 40 shorts. i have spoke to 2 different doctor who will do the surgery. but i am still nerivous about a couple things.

like what about the fills. and what about the side tube that goes on your hip. i am scared about what i will be able to eat. and how long i will have to wait for solids.

thanks alot!

Hi there! Welcome and I hope you decide to go for the band!

Fills are an injection of fluid into your band which tightens it up and makes you feel restriction. Restriction is feeling full after eating 3/4 cup of food.

I am not sure what you mean by the tube on your hip? If you mean the port, it's sewn to your abdominal muscle just under your breast above the stomach, just under your largest incision.

If you are ready to make a permanent lifestyle change to get healthy, this is the best way to get there!!

If you have any other questions, just ask, we are here to support you!!

Good Luck!!

well i saw this video and this is what it showed

http://video.about.com/weightloss/Laparosc...ric-Banding.htm

well i really want to do it because i have tried so many diets. i have "cleansed" for a month and i have been vegetarian for 2 years and i have not lost any weight.

but like what foods could i eat after my surgery (when im back to eating solids)? and why cant i drink with meals?

Hi again, you can eat whatever your body can handle, some cannot manage bread or chicken..it's trial and error. So far I can eat anything.

The diet plan after surgery is protein, veggies, grains and fruit in that order...protein keeps you full longer. You cannot drink while eating because this will wash the food out of your pouch...you want the food to sit in your pouch as long as possible and slowly digest.

I dieted all of my life..and I am 45...if you get a chance to do it while you are young to it...your skin is young and firm and will bounce back now better than it will when you are older. I am going to need a tummy tuck and possibly other procedures to get my body back.

If you can afford to do it with your parents support...go for it...it's not easy by any means..it's damn hard, but it's so worth it!!!

yeah thats is just what i was thinking of why i should have it now.

because i dont want to do it when im older and my skin wont go back and i have to change all my bad habits. you know?

i think it seems like just the thing for me. like i dont eat that much as it is; which probably sounds like a lie because i must (eat alot) or else i wouldnt be in this situation.

like i love smoothies and i drink tons of water. i just really think this is for me. thanks alot for your answer.

oh and with the fills, does the lap band just keep getting tighter and tighter?

yeah thats is just what i was thinking of why i should have it now.

because i dont want to do it when im older and my skin wont go back and i have to change all my bad habits. you know?

i think it seems like just the thing for me. like i dont eat that much as it is; which probably sounds like a lie because i must (eat alot) or else i wouldnt be in this situation.

like i love smoothies and i drink tons of water. i just really think this is for me. thanks alot for your answer.

oh and with the fills, does the lap band just keep getting tighter and tighter?

Hi there, Cathy is right. If you can do it young, do it! That's great that you have surgeons locally that will do the surgery for you. As for your question regarding fills, yes the band does get tighter with fills. You only get fills (and get tighter) when you need to though. The only thing that's ever caused my band to tighten on its own is major stress. Each person has a different optimum fill level. Just be aware that smoothies are real calorie killers. I too love fruity smoothies but rarely have them because it can be like 300+ calories in them. With the band they encourage solids almost exclusively, but it's always good to indulge once in a while.

Good luck!

Karen

oh i didnt know that... but i like solids also! haha

yeah i know what you mean. so like i couldnt have alot of water anymore?

No, you are supposed to drink lots of water! You can't drink for at least 40-60 min after eating, which is a tough thing for most of us but once you adjust it's ok. I drink so much water or I eat ice when I feel like munching on something. You just aren't supposed to drink your calories. Starbucks, Jamba etc.. A lot of us do have protein drinks for breakfast as you are usually tighter in the mornings. I personally don't eat anything solid before 10 because I am tight. As the day wears on you get a little looser and can eat lunch and dinner (typically). Drinking enough water is usually a key ingredient of weight loss.