How do you deal with emotional eating?

I was banded 5 days ago, the first 4 days were super easy. As long as I have popcicles, I am just fine. Today I received devistating news that my uncle passed away. My family is closeknit and it has hit hard.

The first thing I wanted to do was eat. All I thought about all day was food and how I wanted to eat this and that. I left work early (today was my first day back) came home and looked in the fridge a dozen times. I ate a few popcicles and slipped and ate a bit of peanut butter.

Right now I am miserable - I can't eat, it hurts to cry I'm generally exhausted and I don't know how to deal with it. How do most of you deal with emotional eating? I don't know how to, it just makes me more miserable :(

I was banded 5 days ago, the first 4 days were super easy. As long as I have popcicles, I am just fine. Today I received devistating news that my uncle passed away. My family is closeknit and it has hit hard.

The first thing I wanted to do was eat. All I thought about all day was food and how I wanted to eat this and that. I left work early (today was my first day back) came home and looked in the fridge a dozen times. I ate a few popcicles and slipped and ate a bit of peanut butter.

Right now I am miserable - I can't eat, it hurts to cry I'm generally exhausted and I don't know how to deal with it. How do most of you deal with emotional eating? I don't know how to, it just makes me more miserable :(

MimiIN:

I am sorry about your Uncle. Was he ill or was it unexpected? Are there any gastic bypass support groups in your area. Sometimes that helps, also keeping a journal helps release emotions.

I was banded 9/28. I find myself thinking about food, even food I do not normally want. Remember, liquids are not forever. Soon we will be able to incorporate food again. If you eat you could damage your band and have to go back to the clinic!!! That would be terrible, I must say that keeps me from not really wanting anything.

I feel very tired too. I am self employed and worked 8 hours today and feel wiped out right now, but Wednesday I start back to work at my other job. There is something to say about being self-employed, it really was not too bad, but I am worried about Wednesday. Hopefully we will feel like ourselves soon.

Maybe you should go off clear liquids and go to full liquids. Dr. Miranda said if you felt exhausted or you were having difficulty with clear liquids you could go to full liquids sooner than on the 8th day. Drinkable yogurt if very good and tasty.

Hang in there okay.

Deb

MimiIN,

First I

MY SINCERE CONDOLENCES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY :(

Maybe if you try putting some chicken broth or clear liquid soup into a bowl, take the time to sit down and focus solely on eatting the soup it will ease the emotional comfort you are seeking.

Thanks all for the condolences and advice. I am doing much better now then I was a few days ago. I switched to full liquids and am no longer wanting to run out to all my favorite restaraunts. Getting back into the "one day at a time" mentality and it is helping. What is hard is being around my family who love to eat as they look at me wondering what on earth is wrong with me; why I'm not having any matzo balls with my soup and why on earth did she say NO to chicken kiev?? I haven't told most of my family as I just don't want to deal with their comments and judgement. The comment I just heard my aunt say to my cousin "She's just like her mother with those crazy diets, I bet she's taking pills!" tee hee... whatever they want to believe is fine by me.

Thanks all for the condolences and advice. I am doing much better now then I was a few days ago. I switched to full liquids and am no longer wanting to run out to all my favorite restaraunts. Getting back into the "one day at a time" mentality and it is helping. What is hard is being around my family who love to eat as they look at me wondering what on earth is wrong with me; why I'm not having any matzo balls with my soup and why on earth did she say NO to chicken kiev?? I haven't told most of my family as I just don't want to deal with their comments and judgement. The comment I just heard my aunt say to my cousin "She's just like her mother with those crazy diets, I bet she's taking pills!" tee hee... whatever they want to believe is fine by me.

MimIN, So happy you are doing better! Taking a day at a time is such a good idea. You, me and everyone else on this board are in different places in life so please take this as offered. I can relate with you in one specific area. Secrets... Family Secrets. They can fester and and soon spread to other areas of your life or you can tell yourself it is really none of their business. Is how you eat is up to you or others?

A suggestion would be to make a decision to draw a line in the sand and decide whether your food habits are their business or not. Once you set your mind to it you will know what to do. Tell everyone be proud and stop listening to the whispering and interpreting the looks or keep it to yourself and just plain laugh to yourself that you have so many fans of your eating habits.

I have been told by another close family member not to discuss their attempted conversations about a second family member with them. No way. I told the first family member that I do not want to participate in this type of underhandedness. If they had something to say about family member number two they better tell that person or a therapist. Not me. On top of that I told them they better not b discussing me and my loved ones in a gossiping way.

You may be at a totally different place than I hear in your post. If so take my reply as just another view of life.

Best wishes! Kevin