No Blending Food first 21 days! Read this email from Dr. Miranda

There was a discussion today on the Shoutbox about whether or not we can Blend food up during our 21 days post-op. The answer is NO! Here is my email to Dr. Miranda today, and her response. Let's all lose the most amount we can on our liquid diet phase! :)

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM, <RedCarpetDana@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Dr. Miranda!

This is Dana Ball. I was banded 10/10. I have lost a total of 21 lbs. YEAH! That is a total of 9 lbs since my surgery, I am very happy.

Anyway, I am now on full liquids and there is a discussion going on about when and if we can use a blender. I was unsure and I have only eaten soups and yogurts to date so I wanted to ask you to know the correct answer.

On the Pre-Op Diet I was using a Protein Powder. I was blending in a blender that with water/skim milk and ice. Can we do this on the All liquid diet? Someone stated that we couldn't because it creates air in the drink.

Also, other people are talking about eating chili, cottage cheese and fruit because they are blending to a liquid form. They stated in Dr. O's book he says if you can get it through a straw you can eat it. To me, this seems very fattening. Can you answer if we are supposed to be doing this, so I can let my friends know?

Thank you Dr. Miranda!

Dana~

Hello Dana:

yes we do not encourage the use of the blenders for food, that is an easy way to not lose weight, hey if they are going to put chili in the blender then they put cottage cheese then pizza ..

We gave you a paper stating DO NOT USE A BLENDER.

If you can't drink it don't eat it don't blend it either.

If your shake need to be blended with ice it is OK.

Dr. Miranda

Thanks for posting this DanaBall,

I have seen a few posts of newbies blending foods, which is a no no...anything that can go through a straw is acceptable..any thicker than that is not.

It's only for 3 weeks and although it's not easy, your body needs time to heal to avoid future problems with the band.

Hey Dana -

Thanks for that clarification. It's right what I remember her saying when we were down there. It's frustrating, but understandable. I bought some creamy soups today at the market, but intend on making them even more runny with some chicken broth. That also cuts the calorie count down.

Good to know!

Dana, wow, thanks for checking that out. I Blended everything. I misunderstood about what not to use the blender on. :wacko: This is why this Forum is SO Important. WE ARE NEVER ALONE. There is always someone on here that has Been There Done That.

Thanks Team for all the advise and wisdom =D>

Dana, wow, thanks for checking that out. I Blended everything. I misunderstood about what not to use the blender on. :wacko: This is why this Forum is SO Important. WE ARE NEVER ALONE. There is always someone on here that has Been There Done That.

Thanks Team for all the advise and wisdom =D>

You are welcome! You guys are family now, we have to look out for each other! :) I just want us all to lose the MAXIUM amount, especially on this 21 post-op I did read over Dr. O's book last night, and it states you can blend up foods, but nothing with meat in it. At any rate, Dr. Miranda says no right now. So, let's just re-focus and I am sure the scale will start dropping again!

Have a great week!

Hey Dana -

Thanks for that clarification. It's right what I remember her saying when we were down there. It's frustrating, but understandable. I bought some creamy soups today at the market, but intend on making them even more runny with some chicken broth. That also cuts the calorie count down.

Good to know!

Don't be afraid of using Skim milk, I am using half skim half water and I am still losing a lb a day! When you think about it, we are not getting in many calories. So, you will be fine. :)

You are welcome! You guys are family now, we have to look out for each other! :) I just want us all to lose the MAXIUM amount, especially on this 21 post-op I did read over Dr. O's book last night, and it states you can blend up foods, but nothing with meat in it. At any rate, Dr. Miranda says no right now. So, let's just re-focus and I am sure the scale will start dropping again!

Have a great week!

Hi Dana, during the 21 day healing period, try not to focus on losing weight. Eat 1/2 cup of soup per sitting as many times a day as you need. Drink lots of water, snack on fudgecicles, yogurt etc.

You will probably lose weight anyway, but during this time that's not the goal, healing is the goal. Weight loss focus should begin after your first fill.

Good Luck!!

Hi Dana, during the 21 day healing period, try not to focus on losing weight. Eat 1/2 cup of soup per sitting as many times a day as you need. Drink lots of water, snack on fudgecicles, yogurt etc.

You will probably lose weight anyway, but during this time that's not the goal, healing is the goal. Weight loss focus should begin after your first fill.

Good Luck!!

Oh, I am eating plenty! But, some that were blending up foods werent losing anymore. Dr. Miranda says we should lose and definitely not gain during this time if we do things correctly. So, I am just trying to do what she says. It would Suck to drink liquids and not lose anything for 3 weeks. Again, it is to stay away from those high calorie liquids. Thanks!

Thanks Dana for clarification...I am on track, hence my 10lbs lost already. It's only for 9 more days of liquid soups and then it's solids, which can be crazy with all the options we have out there!

Cathy - GOOD point and appreciate the reminder that we are healing ourselves first...we tend to forget this and so much in the rush to get to the next stage!

Thanks Dana!

I'm past that stage, but I'm still shaking my shakes. (when I have them) I thought we couldn't use a blender even for the shakes since it would make it puffier and make our pouches too full.

So, I appreciate you asking.

You are doing awesome!!

Tara

Thanks Dana!

I'm past that stage, but I'm still shaking my shakes. (when I have them) I thought we couldn't use a blender even for the shakes since it would make it puffier and make our pouches too full.

So, I appreciate you asking.

You are doing awesome!!

Tara

I plan to blend just briefly. For one it makes the protein foam up if you blend to much. Also, let it set a minute before you drink it. The air will settle. :) Glad to know we can blend the protein powder, mine does much better that way!

Hey Dana,

Thank goodness I only blended cottage cheeze with pears one time. LOL! I thought it was fine and it felt nice filling my little stomach, and the hunger pangs went away for a few hours..

I didn't die and I still am losing, so I won't do it again... Thanks for checkin it out.

Hey Dana,

Thank goodness I only blended cottage cheeze with pears one time. LOL! I thought it was fine and it felt nice filling my little stomach, and the hunger pangs went away for a few hours..

I didn't die and I still am losing, so I won't do it again... Thanks for checkin it out.

HAHA So glad you didn't die from the cottage cheese and pears Misty! LOL :o) Nah, you are fine, no worries!