Help can't swallow anything

Anyone out there have any advice besides going to the hospital? I was supposed to get a fill on Friday but had food poisoning so had my fill on Saturday. I was fine eating that day now I am pb'ing saliva. I tried to eat 4.5 hours ago and am still spitting up the little bit that went down (less than half of a scrambled egg). I can't drink or anything. I am starting to feel desperate because I can't even lay down. I've been up since 3:00 am for the trip home today.

Painter,

Ah! Thats terrible. You poor thing!!!

I have been sick for two days and I don't know if it is food poisoning or the flu or my band is going crazy. I have not been able to keep anything down for 2 days except for 1 bottle of water today. I have found that laying down is horrible and hurts so bad with the burning & churning going on in my stomach. The only thing that has brought me a bit of relief is laying on a heating pad. I know it sounds weird, but it seems to help relax me and help my stomach settle down. If I try to eat anything I spit and puke little bits for about 4 hrs also. What the heck is going on? It is kind of scary huh?

I feel for you. I hope you feel better soon. I am so afraid of food right now but my stomach is growling like crazy but no way am I going through that awful pain again.

The band is finnicky and hopefully yours will settle down. I have heard stories of gals going to get unfills because it is way too tight and then they have no restriction after a couple of days of healing. Good luck! I wish I knew what to tell you. I am considering going into the closest InstaCare and having them give me a script for anti-nausea suppositories. I am that desperate!!

Keep us posted and let us know what happens with you. Hang in there!!!

Natalie

Sorry to hear you aren't well Natalie, No one ever told me I couldn't vomit after this surgery so I was pretty distressed too. It did pass eventually but what you are going through sounds different. You might want to see a doctor. Even if it is just for anti-nausea meds. They gave me something in Mexico that worked for me but I had to crush it up and sip it to get it down. Hope you feel better. I think I'll call the local fill doctor tomorrow and beg him for help. He's tough to get in to see but I hope that he will understand this is an emergency. I might try your heating pad and see if it causes my stomach to relax some.

Throwing up and PBing is very hard on our bands, make sure to get some OTC anti nausea meds ASAP and if possible have your doctor write you a prescription. And whenever your band is tight, and you are PBing, go right to liquids. PBing - throwing up causes us to swell and you may start on a downward spiral that could cost you your band. If I PB I go on liquids for 3 days to be safe and if it continues I would recommend you go in for an unfil, much cheaper than losing your band. Warm herb tea can help, also when we are stressed about it - it makes it worse.

Hope it all works out!

Lisa

this might not be available/possible for everyone but when I recently found that when I am REALLY tight.. I will go to my gym and first sit int he jacuzzi for 10minutes.. then on to the steam room for 10 minutes.. back to the jacuzzi for a few then end with 10min in the sauna... I'm telling you the heat really causes my band/stomach everything to relax. I drink 32oz of water and feel like a million bucks.

I would call the local fill center and tell them you can't keep anything down and they will work you in. It's very important to be evaluated for an unfill before you damage things. I recommend nothing by mouth for until you have stopped spitting up for at least 4 hours. Not even a sip of water. That is what I had to do after 4 days of no food and little to no liquids. It's better to get an unfill and then get another refill rather than risk any damage to the band. When you PB you also secrete alot of stomach acid which is bad for the band. My unfil nurse gave me a prescription for prevacid acid reducers that melt under your tongue. You can't risk trying to take pills now, even crushed with liquid and the acid need to be reduced. She had me take them for at least 2 weeks but gave me a 1 month supply.

Good luck and I hope you feel better and are able to be seen today and get this taken care of.

Thank you Julie! I was hoping you would be online and answer. I just talked to the fill doctor's nurse here (there's only one who will take Mexico patients) and he's out of town till Wednesday. I will see him then. Meanwhile I have managed about 6 ounces of water today and the spitting up has stopped except when I tried 2 Tablespoons of orange juice, not a good idea. I really appreciate your input. I tried calling the OCC last night but Dr. Ortiz' answering service was full and not taking any messages. I couldn't get any of the other numbers to work. Not much point in calling them now as I am too far away for them to do anything for me. That was my last Mexico fill. Think I`ll stay up here where I can get help when I need it.

Cheryl

Girl, I feel the same way on the fills for now. I have been having trouble like you for about a month. And still not losing weight. (maybe a pound or 2). I am probably drinking 20-25ozs. a day and eating about 10 bites of food a day. This sucks for now, I am miserable and feel that if I burp, I will pb. I can't even enjoy my coffee or juice or soup or anything. :angry: I have been getting my flls in Tn. and I have a call in to the Dr. now, hope he calls back soon. At one point I was pb'ing 7-8 times a day, went on liquids and still couldn't keep them down. Something has to give and fast. We are going to New York for Thanksgiving, so I need a change quickly.

Are you getting headaches, especially at the temples? I think I have had one about every day since this has been going on. :lb12:

Girl, I feel the same way on the fills for now. I have been having trouble like you for about a month. And still not losing weight. (maybe a pound or 2). I am probably drinking 20-25ozs. a day and eating about 10 bites of food a day. This sucks for now, I am miserable and feel that if I burp, I will pb. I can't even enjoy my coffee or juice or soup or anything. :angry: I have been getting my flls in Tn. and I have a call in to the Dr. now, hope he calls back soon. At one point I was pb'ing 7-8 times a day, went on liquids and still couldn't keep them down. Something has to give and fast. We are going to New York for Thanksgiving, so I need a change quickly.

Are you getting headaches, especially at the temples? I think I have had one about every day since this has been going on. :lb12:

Renee

You MUST get an evaluation for an unfill asap. Your are describing an unsafe situation. Why have you waited this long? Pbing so many times and so frequently will surely cause you trouble in the long run, possibly your band. Each time you PB your stomach increases it's acid production. The acid will corrode away your pouch area/esophagus and you will be in big trouble. I had to get an unfill after 4 days of not being able to keep liquids down. The doc said I should have had it sooner. She put me on prescription acid reducer Prevacid that dissolved under my tongue for 1 month. You really need to get to the doctor and I just can't stress that enough.

Please get in and be seen ASAP

Thanks Jules. It has been hard for me to deal with and no time to drive 3 hours to the Dr. As you saw I hope he will call me back today. I kept thinking I would give this eating thing a rest to reduce swelling or maybe I had a bug, but it's not getting better...

Renee

You MUST get an evaluation for an unfill asap. Your are describing an unsafe situation. Why have you waited this long? Pbing so many times and so frequently will surely cause you trouble in the long run, possibly your band. Each time you PB your stomach increases it's acid production. The acid will corrode away your pouch area/esophagus and you will be in big trouble. I had to get an unfill after 4 days of not being able to keep liquids down. The doc said I should have had it sooner. She put me on prescription acid reducer Prevacid that dissolved under my tongue for 1 month. You really need to get to the doctor and I just can't stress that enough.

Please get in and be seen ASAP

Totally what Julie said. Sometimes just a .1 cc can throw you over the top. Please see to this? It's really concerning.

Hugs!

Jann

Hello again Painter,

I am wondering what is going on with you now? I am glad you have gotten some water down, anything else? I am just curious what is happening to you. It is scary to be so sick and not be able to eat anything. Please let me know how you are today.

I am feeling better. I did call my fill doc yesterday and fill centers and got in to see my regular doc. My doc gave me anti-nausea suppositories and the fill centers said to go on warm liquids for 2 days and see if things settle down. So, far I have kept soup down, lots of water, crackers and a sprite (with the carbonation out of course.) I can't believe how weak and tired I was from getting no nutrition. That was super scary for me and I am glad it is over. It reminds me to take extra care of my band. Well, I hit my 50 lbs lost point finally so there is one good thing that came out of it for me. LOL

I got a good nights rest last night (I guess the anti-nausea meds make you sleepy) and that was totally ok by me : )

My Doc called me at home this morning to check on me and fill centers is calling me tomorrow because they said if I wasn't better to go ahead and go in for an unfill.

Scary times!! So glad it is over!!!

Good luck!! Get feeling better soon!!!

Natalie

Still too tight. I get in to see my fill doc tomorrow at 3:00 pm. I'm counting the hours. I choked on 2 tsp water this am but managed almost a whole gatorade later throughout the day so am less concerned about dehydration. Currently I can'tget anything else down. No food has crossed these lips since I tried to eat on Sunday. I have a theory about all of this. I think that I was so dehydrated from being sick that it appeared I could tolerate that big fill no problem. When the doctor at OCC withdrew what was in my band he said there was only 1 cc. I had been told they put in .6 on the second fill and I already had 1 from the first. I should have had 1.6. If they loaded up another 1.5 I probably have 3 or more in my band. It is a 4cc band which means I am really full. I'm hoping the doctor will remove it all to see what is in there. Who knows what dehydration can cause; when they tried to check what was in there perhaps that's all that they could draw. I plan to write to OCC just to let them know what happened in case they have another patient who has been ill. They may not have thought that I was that depleted or they may not have had this particular set of circumstances happen before.

I'll try to email tomorrow and update you all on how it goes.

Reneej -

I'm in Nashville and get my fills from Dr. Morton at Baptist, downtown. The problem is, he's $400/fill with a 6 to 8 week wait to get an appointment and when I do get an appointment I sit in the lobby 3 or more hours because he runs behind. I had some serious PB'ing for several weeks after my first fill. And, YES, my temples would hurt sooooo badly.

Then, all of the sudden I became so "loose" anything will go down. I don't know what happened! I'm hoping that the 10 lbs I lost over 2 months (silly low considering I often couldn't keep down 900 calories a day), anyway, I'm hoping the weight loss made my band not tight anymore. Because the alternative I fear is that it leaked or something!

Would you recommend your fill doc in The 'Boro? Anyone that could see me in less than 6 weeks request would be an improvement.

Tanya

tanyayarbrough@gmail.com

Cheryl,

I am SO glad you are going in tomorrow. I am so curious as to what they will say.

That is very interesting about how you were sick the day before you had your fill and now it seems to be

overfilled. Those darn bands are sure finnicky. It is actually pretty amazing what affects them. Weird!!

Good luck to you!!!

No food since Sunday, you've got to be feeling weak and tired. Man oh man!! Miserable!!!

Sorry you are going through this...it will be so nice for you to be able to eat again...even just a little bit.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Natalie

Blessed relief!!! I can drink water! I even ate an egg and a slice of toast. Dr. Descouteaux removed a full cc and I feel much better. Thank you so much to all of you for your support. He removed 2.5 but his syringe was full so we don't know what was in there in total. He put back 1.5 so I suspect I have around 2.0 in there now. He wasn't surprised that being sick could cause an overfill. Right now he is my hero. What a kind man.

Natalie, are you feeling any better? I am really worried for you. Let me know how you're doing.

Cheryl

Blessed relief!!! I can drink water! I even ate an egg and a slice of toast. Dr. Descouteaux removed a full cc and I feel much better. Thank you so much to all of you for your support. He removed 2.5 but his syringe was full so we don't know what was in there in total. He put back 1.5 so I suspect I have around 2.0 in there now. He wasn't surprised that being sick could cause an overfill. Right now he is my hero. What a kind man.

Natalie, are you feeling any better? I am really worried for you. Let me know how you're doing.

Cheryl

Oh yay!!!! What a relief. He is a kind man, isn't he! Enjoy!

Jann