Cleaning after surgery

OK, a really dumb question.

With so much iodine on the belly its easy to look jaundice. I have been cleaning around the incisions with a sponge, but fear getting too close to open the wounds. The skin is still rather "tactile" (sticky).

A few days have gone by and the skin is peeling away and the iodine is fading. But I am curious to what people did to really get it clean, as it really looks like a mess, and I don't want any infections setting in from not keeping the area clean.

Taz

OK, a really dumb question.

With so much iodine on the belly its easy to look jaundice. I have been cleaning around the incisions with a sponge, but fear getting too close to open the wounds. The skin is still rather "tactile" (sticky).

A few days have gone by and the skin is peeling away and the iodine is fading. But I am curious to what people did to really get it clean, as it really looks like a mess, and I don't want any infections setting in from not keeping the area clean.

Taz

Absolutely nothing. Just regular gentle cleaning in the shower. The glue will come off quite naturally in it's own time.

Jann

My glue didn't come off. I gently pulled it off on day 21. I guess it would have eventually. But it was bugging me because I had numbness on my port incision and I thought it was from rubbing on my clothes.

Well, turns out, it wasn't from the glue. It was my healing process, which the numbness has subsided, but still is there. It's only been 5 weeks.

So, all I can say, is don't scrub it. Gently wash areas with soap.

Tara