Weighing in on the topic of OCC fills or elsewhere....

Sorry to have been AWOL so long. Just been busy and also discouraged with this whole lap-band journey. Still not giving up though! But, after my 6th fill on tuesday AND a heart to heart with that doctor, I have come to the conclusion that going back to the OCC really isn't necessary - UNLESS you can go back for each and every fill. Nothing against the OCC, I was there 3 times and loved them and the trip each and every time.

But, having fluro has really not mattered at all. My first 2 fills were with fluro in Mexico and my second 2 fills were at a doctor 2 1/2 hours away from me and my last 2 fills were with a doctor right here in my own town. The last 4 was no fluro. I do have the larger VG band that needs 10 cc's (Yes, I am a woman and it is rare for a woman to get that, but I have it all the same).

Anyway, as most of you know, I have had little to no restriction since my surgery in March. Still lost 31 pounds, but none since June or July. So, in talking to my doctor yesterday, he told me that the larger band takes a lot longer to get it up where it needs to be to work (I knew this, I had heard this from every other doctor too) but I still felt discouraged because it was March that I had my surgery.

He said that it is best to find one doctor to do your fills and stick with him. His reasoning makes very good sense. He said each time you go to a new fill doctor, that fill doctor, in not knowing you at all, will go easy on you the first visit just simply because you are new and he needs to get a feel for you and your band. And if you keep going to new doctors, you will keep getting small fills because you will keep being a new patient. Makes sense. Then he said all doctors view fills differently and have different attitudes and opinions so you have that to contend with each time you go to a new doctor. He said if I would have come to him from the beginning he would have given me larger fills to get me to the optimum level quicker so I wouldn't have to have waited so long for restriction. (The Maryland doctor 2 1/2 hours away only wanted to give me 1cc each visit - that would have taken me 9 visits if I stayed with her).

I reminded him that I wanted to come to him but hwe wouldn't accept mexican patients until recently. It's not like I went to all these different fill doctors on purpose (its only really been 3). But anyway, I have 9.2 cc's now and he said I am right on the cusp of full restriction and if I don't feel anything this time, then I do need a fluro to check it all out. But, really up until now, the fluro really didn't have much advantage. But, who could know that before things happen?

Anyway, I am still glad I went back to the OCC for my first fill just to have them check things out - for my own peice of mind. But, after speaking with my doctor tuesday, if I knew then what I know now, and had the ABILITY, I would most definitely pick one doctor close to home and use them for each and every visit. And truly, uless you have a problem the fluro really doesn't matter. A good doctor can easily feel your port, and missing the site or injecting into the tube is almost impossible. That is, if you have a GOOD doctor. Both the port and tubing have a different feel to them and you can tell when you are poking with the needle if you are in the right spot.

Anyway, to make a long story short, that is my story and my opinion. Find someone close to home, cheap enough that you can afford several visits and don't be so uptight about fluro. It's not a big deal unless you have problems.

And by the way, my newest fill feels great so far. Fluid goes down nicely, albeit slowly. So, I am kind of scared to try food yet because I can actually feel the water going through slowly like never before. I am not overfull but it is tight. I tried some smooth cottage cheese (not really a solid) and it only took a few bites to fill me up so I am very hopeful. And according to the doctors scale, I lost a pound from last visit. May not sound like a lot, but feeling no restriction makes weight loss hard and that coupled with the fact that I was in DisneyWorld for a week, well you know how that is. It's a miracle I didn't gain let alone lost a pound.

And for those pet lovers out there, my web-page for my Pet Loss Memorials is just about up and ready. Would love some opinions and suggestions from you once it is up and viewable. CTIRIQUE CRITIQUE CRITIQUE

Julie, hows the new little one and where is his picture??

Sorry to have been AWOL so long. Just been busy and also discouraged with this whole lap-band journey. Still not giving up though! But, after my 6th fill on tuesday AND a heart to heart with that doctor, I have come to the conclusion that going back to the OCC really isn't necessary - UNLESS you can go back for each and every fill. Nothing against the OCC, I was there 3 times and loved them and the trip each and every time.

But, having fluro has really not mattered at all. My first 2 fills were with fluro in Mexico and my second 2 fills were at a doctor 2 1/2 hours away from me and my last 2 fills were with a doctor right here in my own town. The last 4 was no fluro. I do have the larger VG band that needs 10 cc's (Yes, I am a woman and it is rare for a woman to get that, but I have it all the same).

Anyway, as most of you know, I have had little to no restriction since my surgery in March. Still lost 31 pounds, but none since June or July. So, in talking to my doctor yesterday, he told me that the larger band takes a lot longer to get it up where it needs to be to work (I knew this, I had heard this from every other doctor too) but I still felt discouraged because it was March that I had my surgery.

He said that it is best to find one doctor to do your fills and stick with him. His reasoning makes very good sense. He said each time you go to a new fill doctor, that fill doctor, in not knowing you at all, will go easy on you the first visit just simply because you are new and he needs to get a feel for you and your band. And if you keep going to new doctors, you will keep getting small fills because you will keep being a new patient. Makes sense. Then he said all doctors view fills differently and have different attitudes and opinions so you have that to contend with each time you go to a new doctor. He said if I would have come to him from the beginning he would have given me larger fills to get me to the optimum level quicker so I wouldn't have to have waited so long for restriction. (The Maryland doctor 2 1/2 hours away only wanted to give me 1cc each visit - that would have taken me 9 visits if I stayed with her).

I reminded him that I wanted to come to him but hwe wouldn't accept mexican patients until recently. It's not like I went to all these different fill doctors on purpose (its only really been 3). But anyway, I have 9.2 cc's now and he said I am right on the cusp of full restriction and if I don't feel anything this time, then I do need a fluro to check it all out. But, really up until now, the fluro really didn't have much advantage. But, who could know that before things happen?

Anyway, I am still glad I went back to the OCC for my first fill just to have them check things out - for my own peice of mind. But, after speaking with my doctor tuesday, if I knew then what I know now, and had the ABILITY, I would most definitely pick one doctor close to home and use them for each and every visit. And truly, uless you have a problem the fluro really doesn't matter. A good doctor can easily feel your port, and missing the site or injecting into the tube is almost impossible. That is, if you have a GOOD doctor. Both the port and tubing have a different feel to them and you can tell when you are poking with the needle if you are in the right spot.

Anyway, to make a long story short, that is my story and my opinion. Find someone close to home, cheap enough that you can afford several visits and don't be so uptight about fluro. It's not a big deal unless you have problems.

And by the way, my newest fill feels great so far. Fluid goes down nicely, albeit slowly. So, I am kind of scared to try food yet because I can actually feel the water going through slowly like never before. I am not overfull but it is tight. I tried some smooth cottage cheese (not really a solid) and it only took a few bites to fill me up so I am very hopeful. And according to the doctors scale, I lost a pound from last visit. May not sound like a lot, but feeling no restriction makes weight loss hard and that coupled with the fact that I was in DisneyWorld for a week, well you know how that is. It's a miracle I didn't gain let alone lost a pound.

And for those pet lovers out there, my web-page for my Pet Loss Memorials is just about up and ready. Would love some opinions and suggestions from you once it is up and viewable. CTIRIQUE CRITIQUE CRITIQUE

Julie, hows the new little one and where is his picture??

First of all Mona....WELCOME BACK, I sure missed you and hoped you were just busy.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, especially about not being so intent on needing the fluoro, it is way overrated. I have had 2 with fluoro, the 2nd one with fluoro was the terrible overfill situation so that shows how good the fluoro helps with that, and then the unfill/refill was not with fluoro. I think as suggested as long as you get an upper GI once a year to check for any problems all will be fine. Truly by the time someone has the first fill it's been such little time nothing could really be wrong. think about it folks. It's after you've had the band for awhile possible complications will rear their ugly head and those are RARE!!! I will say it again unless you are independently wealthy and have all the time in the world to go to the OCC for fills if it is not close, find someone as close to home as you can.

Last of all my new baby "Gumby" is so precious I just want to cuddle with him and kiss his little cute puppy face all the time. He has settled in very well here and the other dog and cat are back to normal also. Gumby follows my older dog Abby around like she's his mama and it's too cute. Imagine a lab and a doxie walking side by side, too cute!! Both dogs are happy on the bed together at night. Gumby cuddles up to me and Abby cuddles to Rob. Abby gets up with Rob which is always before I get up. Little Gumby just wait by my side until I get up. I wish I knew how to post a new pic of him. I am so lame when it comes to any advanced computer stuff. I have to get my husband to do it and he's so busy with our business. I'll try and beg him to get it done soon. I just can't tell you how cute this little guy is with the doxie body and the cocker spaniel puppy type face. His big brown eyes just make me melt. I could go on and on obviously about him, you know how it is for an animal lover like us.

Glad to hear you have some restriction Mona. It's been a long haul for you. It sounds like you have found THE Dr. for you and I hope this is the one who gets you to where you need to be. I can't tell you how great it is to have restriction , it really works and is the best gift ever. I really can only eat about 1/2 cup at a time, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less but that's the average. I am slowly going down finally also. I am now only weighing minimum once a week or I've even waited 2 weeks before I weighed last time. I decided that I know the band will help me lose weight as long as I follow the rules so why give the scales any power over me to perhaps cause any discouragement. Slow and steady for me. If I only lose a pound a week well then in a year I will have lost 52 pounds!!!

Again Mona your post was very informative and I hope the newbies will give our opinions some careful thought when planning aftercare. Sometimes the voice of experience is one that knows. Take care and I can't wait to see your website.

PS: Next time don't stay away so long, I miss you too much!!

First of all Mona....WELCOME BACK, I sure missed you and hoped you were just busy.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, especially about not being so intent on needing the fluoro, it is way overrated. I have had 2 with fluoro, the 2nd one with fluoro was the terrible overfill situation so that shows how good the fluoro helps with that, and then the unfill/refill was not with fluoro. I think as suggested as long as you get an upper GI once a year to check for any problems all will be fine. Truly by the time someone has the first fill it's been such little time nothing could really be wrong. think about it folks. It's after you've had the band for awhile possible complications will rear their ugly head and those are RARE!!! I will say it again unless you are independently wealthy and have all the time in the world to go to the OCC for fills if it is not close, find someone as close to home as you can.

Last of all my new baby "Gumby" is so precious I just want to cuddle with him and kiss his little cute puppy face all the time. He has settled in very well here and the other dog and cat are back to normal also. Gumby follows my older dog Abby around like she's his mama and it's too cute. Imagine a lab and a doxie walking side by side, too cute!! Both dogs are happy on the bed together at night. Gumby cuddles up to me and Abby cuddles to Rob. Abby gets up with Rob which is always before I get up. Little Gumby just wait by my side until I get up. I wish I knew how to post a new pic of him. I am so lame when it comes to any advanced computer stuff. I have to get my husband to do it and he's so busy with our business. I'll try and beg him to get it done soon. I just can't tell you how cute this little guy is with the doxie body and the cocker spaniel puppy type face. His big brown eyes just make me melt. I could go on and on obviously about him, you know how it is for an animal lover like us.

Glad to hear you have some restriction Mona. It's been a long haul for you. It sounds like you have found THE Dr. for you and I hope this is the one who gets you to where you need to be. I can't tell you how great it is to have restriction , it really works and is the best gift ever. I really can only eat about 1/2 cup at a time, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less but that's the average. I am slowly going down finally also. I am now only weighing minimum once a week or I've even waited 2 weeks before I weighed last time. I decided that I know the band will help me lose weight as long as I follow the rules so why give the scales any power over me to perhaps cause any discouragement. Slow and steady for me. If I only lose a pound a week well then in a year I will have lost 52 pounds!!!

Again Mona your post was very informative and I hope the newbies will give our opinions some careful thought when planning aftercare. Sometimes the voice of experience is one that knows. Take care and I can't wait to see your website.

PS: Next time don't stay away so long, I miss you too much!!

Thanks buddy, I missed you too!!

Can you e-mail me a picture of your puppy? If you know how to do that, I can post it for you.

I agree that fluoro is not necessary for most fills. I like to have a fluoro for the first fill just to see that everything is in place and working as it should be. Don't we all panic at some point and decide our bands have slipped?? Also, I have been seeing a lot of posts on another forum where doctors in the US don't do fluoro and can't find their patients' ports. In that case, I think a fluoro is necessary.

My husband has had five fills--four at OCC and one up in Washington state. It wasn't until his last fill in WA that he really has had any restriction or seen some steady weight loss. For him, the fluoro didn't make any difference, but having someone who listened to him when he said he had no restriction made a world of difference.

><' MONA ><'

Welcome home girl :) So good to hear from YOU! I agree with you bout fluro & going back to the OCC. I went back my first time for peace of mind, you know when we're new we always think the band slipped or we stretched it, and since then go to a local Dr. who does not use fluro. I am 100% satisfied with her. I agree with Julie that you have an upper GI once a year just to "check" on things.

It has been a long haul for you mona but I knew the day I met you at the OCC that you were one determined woman and nothing would stop you! I think a lot of people would have thrown in the towel but you are determined to make this work and for that reason along YOU WILL SUCCEED!!

Big hugs to you Mona.

xoxoxo

><' MONA ><'

Welcome home girl :) So good to hear from YOU! I agree with you bout fluro & going back to the OCC. I went back my first time for peace of mind, you know when we're new we always think the band slipped or we stretched it, and since then go to a local Dr. who does not use fluro. I am 100% satisfied with her. I agree with Julie that you have an upper GI once a year just to "check" on things.

It has been a long haul for you mona but I knew the day I met you at the OCC that you were one determined woman and nothing would stop you! I think a lot of people would have thrown in the towel but you are determined to make this work and for that reason along YOU WILL SUCCEED!!

Big hugs to you Mona.

xoxoxo

Awww thank you honey, you are so sweet!!!

And just an FYI, I tried to eat one of those tuna salad kits with crackers and had to stop after only 2 tuna topped crackers! YEAH!!!

Who's your new Doc?? I need to get one here in the States, so spill Mona!! ;) Send me his name, number and directions to his office!! :D

I need to get me some better restriction soon, I can eat toooooo much!

Congrats Mona, I sure hope you found the spot! Best wishes, Darlene

Who's your new Doc?? I need to get one here in the States, so spill Mona!! ;) Send me his name, number and directions to his office!! :D

I need to get me some better restriction soon, I can eat toooooo much!

Congrats Mona, I sure hope you found the spot! Best wishes, Darlene

Where are you? I am in Bethlehem and my current doctor is right here in Allentown. But if you are closer to the Maryland border, there is a doc down there who does fills for anyone for $200 on wednesdays. She is near Gettysburg over the border. My doctor here does them for $100 but you can't get in to see him until the middle of December and you have to take whatever time you can get. Depends where you are closer. Let me know where you live or MapQuest Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest, that is near me or Dr. Susan Brinkley in Maryland. See which is closer. Maybe we can meet up!

Where are you? I am in Bethlehem and my current doctor is right here in Allentown. But if you are closer to the Maryland border, there is a doc down there who does fills for anyone for $200 on wednesdays. She is near Gettysburg over the border. My doctor here does them for $100 but you can't get in to see him until the middle of December and you have to take whatever time you can get. Depends where you are closer. Let me know where you live or MapQuest Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest, that is near me or Dr. Susan Brinkley in Maryland. See which is closer. Maybe we can meet up!

I'm about 20 minutes from State College..... I'll try the mapquest and see how far it is. Thanks for the info.!!

It would be awesome if we could meet up!! :P

Mona really missed you, so glad you are back. The place I go to get my fills say the same thing, stick with one fill center or doctor. The last fill I had was 1 full unit that take me up to 2.4, and I to feel restriction, water going down and the food going down. Kind of cool.

Hope this will work for you.

By the way the e-mail you sent me for my input on you sight I can not open it up. Could be just me got a new laptop computer and got rid of the old dinasour I had.

Bobbi

Mona really missed you, so glad you are back. The place I go to get my fills say the same thing, stick with one fill center or doctor. The last fill I had was 1 full unit that take me up to 2.4, and I to feel restriction, water going down and the food going down. Kind of cool.

Hope this will work for you.

By the way the e-mail you sent me for my input on you sight I can not open it up. Could be just me got a new laptop computer and got rid of the old dinasour I had.

Bobbi

Hi Bobbi!!!!!!! how the heck are you? I've missed you too! Glad you still have restriction. This is such a new feeling for me, I am so happy to finally have it. YEAH ME!

Yeah, a lot of people couldn't open the e-mail I sent. I'll send you another once the new page is done. Oh and yeah on the new computer too. What fun!