Had to get my band unfilled today...

I had to go get an emergency unfill today because I was throwing up blood. It was very scary. I had no energy, I was shaking, crying and could not even keep water down. I called fill centers and they got me in fast. I was so weak and sick but drove there anyway. The Dr. unfilled me and had me drink some barium and water and I swear I felt better almost immediately. The doc said that I probably have a thing called a mallory (spelling?) tear from throwing up so many times and that is what caused the bleeding.

He said that they are pretty harmless, it is just a little tear in your stomach. He said to take it easy for a couple of days and drink liquids and see how I do. If I don't get better he said to go get my stomach scoped at the hospital.

So, today I hated my band and wanted it out because I was in so much pain. I am glad I went to the fill doc instead of to the ER. My doc said they would take the band out in a heartbeat. He said to never let them do that, always go to fill doc first then back to the OCC to see if there is something that they can do. I was so sick today that if they would have taken out my band, I wouldn't have even cared. Now that I am feeling better I am glad that I still have my band. I really do love what it has done for me.

Just thought I would post about my traumatic day. Thanks for listening.

Natalie

I had to go get an emergency unfill today because I was throwing up blood. It was very scary. I had no energy, I was shaking, crying and could not even keep water down. I called fill centers and they got me in fast. I was so weak and sick but drove there anyway. The Dr. unfilled me and had me drink some barium and water and I swear I felt better almost immediately. The doc said that I probably have a thing called a mallory (spelling?) tear from throwing up so many times and that is what caused the bleeding.

He said that they are pretty harmless, it is just a little tear in your stomach. He said to take it easy for a couple of days and drink liquids and see how I do. If I don't get better he said to go get my stomach scoped at the hospital.

So, today I hated my band and wanted it out because I was in so much pain. I am glad I went to the fill doc instead of to the ER. My doc said they would take the band out in a heartbeat. He said to never let them do that, always go to fill doc first then back to the OCC to see if there is something that they can do. I was so sick today that if they would have taken out my band, I wouldn't have even cared. Now that I am feeling better I am glad that I still have my band. I really do love what it has done for me.

Just thought I would post about my traumatic day. Thanks for listening.

Natalie

OMG, you poor thing. How freaking scary was that?! <comfort> Please rest and heal. We're here for ya!

Jann

Geez! I'll bet that scared the BAJEEBERS out of you! Good advice about going to a fill doctor instead of the emergency room...I'll keep that in mind in case this ever happens! Get your rest and follow dr.s orders!

Denise

Natalie.... after posting what happened to me... I feel it was nothing compared to you. ><' ><' I'm so glad that you're better and that you were able to hang on to your band. You've done sooooooooo well.. how much fill do you have now??

That might be something to add to the knowledge base.

If you have complications, don't go to the ER, go to a fill centre, or someone knowledgeable about the band. We don't want to get our bands removed unless it's absolutely medically necessary.

Natalie,

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Wow, your experience sounds scary. I hope you heal fast and everything turns out okay with your band. When I had surgery (way back in March) there was a woman there at OCC who had to have her band removed because of a too tight fill. She was back to get another band. When my husband went for his surgery, he said he met a woman who was there for her second band as well. It makes me wonder how many people end up losing their bands because of too tight fills!

I ended up with a too tight fill back in August and like you, I just wanted relief by the time I went in. I think all of us under estimate how hard it is on us physically to go without food and water day after day and to throw up multiple times a day. We get so focused on losing weight we are sometimes willing to sacrifice our health. I know I was happy to be losing weight again and I really did not want to go in and get un-filled and pay more money. But, I'm glad I did. I've plateaued again but I'm about half scared to go get another fill now because of the too tight experience.

Get better and take care of yourself.

This IS scary. Did you get it completely unfilled? If so, how long did the fill doc say before you could slowly start refilling. I am glad you are okay and glad you posted. My band has been extremely tight the last couple of days so I have been throwing up with almost every meal but it seems better today. So I will def. take your advice should something like this happens. Thanks.

Natalie.... after posting what happened to me... I feel it was nothing compared to you. ><' ><' I'm so glad that you're better and that you were able to hang on to your band. You've done sooooooooo well.. how much fill do you have now??

Hey Anita,

I have no fill at all right now. He had to completely unfill my band. I had 2.3 cc in there until yesterday, but now nothing. He said to just wait and see how I feel and that he can go right back to the same amount or a little less whenever I am ready. I am not sure when I will go back in. I feel great already and can eat & drink again. So, I will just have to wait and see. I am just so glad that I still have my band. That was a weird experience. Glad it is over. Thanks for your comments. They are so nice.

Natalie

This IS scary. Did you get it completely unfilled? If so, how long did the fill doc say before you could slowly start refilling. I am glad you are okay and glad you posted. My band has been extremely tight the last couple of days so I have been throwing up with almost every meal but it seems better today. So I will def. take your advice should something like this happens. Thanks.

Blazn

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you have been throwing up. It is not fun at all. I did get completely unfilled. The doc said that he didn't have to slowly refill because I have already been up to 2.3 cc so whenever I am ready and feeling better he could refill it right to the same amount. It is a strange thing because I got my 2nd fill on Oct. 3rd and have been totally fine since. Saturday I started throwing up and couldn't keep anything down. It doesn't make sense. So, I don't think I was overfilled because I did so good for those first couple of weeks. The doc thinks that maybe a piece of chicken or something got stuck and that caused the throwing up and then it just spiraled downward from there...throw up...irritate band...band swells & get inflamed.....throw up....irritate band...band swells & gets inflamed. So, it becomes a no-win situation.

I hope you get feeling better soon. It amazes me how finnicky the band is. It is different every day. Definitely keeps us on our toes and guessing all of the time.

I just want you to know that I love watching your progress. I love the pictures you post. You have done amazing!!!!

I can't believe how much weight you've lost. It is awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!! You are an inspiration to us all!!!

Take care and let me know how you do.

Have a great day!!!

Natalie