"From the First Bite - A Complete Guide to Recovery"

Hi there!

I was loaned the book listed above (by Kay Sheppard, M.A.) last weekend. I'm only on page 39, but the ideas in it are intriguing. I wanted to see if anyone else on the boards had either read the book or tried the suggestions in it.

Basically, Ms. Sheppard explains that there are addictive foods that act as alcohol does to an alcoholic. And, like an alcoholic is not addicted to all liquids, food addicts are not addicted to all foods, but only certain types of food.

She suggests cutting out all sugars (this includes sugar subs except for sacharine), wheat and flour products from the diet, as these processed carbs are what give us a nice high and make us want more.

She gives a very specific list of "absinent" foods, which I would be happy to post here if anyone is interested. She also gives a list of foods to avoid, which is so long as to be quite terrifying - I think there is some form of sugar in everything I put in my mouth!!!

Has anyone ever tried this "absinent" diet? Is anyone interested in giving it a go?