Pain - do meds control is adequetly?

I have a low theshhold for pain. (In other words I'm a big baby!) Also, I get easily nauseated. How hard is it to get a strong enough pain med to kill the pain and also something to fight the nausea. On the flip side, I also I have a very high tolerance of pain meds. ....runs in my family actually. Are they going to work with me on this? Will it be pills, shots, or with my IV?

I'm always very shy about asking for pain meds...I hate to seem like I'm asking for something for the heck of it. But the thought of any pain at all is making me pretty anxious.

Any advice?

I have a low theshhold for pain. (In other words I'm a big baby!) Also, I get easily nauseated. How hard is it to get a strong enough pain med to kill the pain and also something to fight the nausea. On the flip side, I also I have a very high tolerance of pain meds. ....runs in my family actually. Are they going to work with me on this? Will it be pills, shots, or with my IV?

I'm always very shy about asking for pain meds...I hate to seem like I'm asking for something for the heck of it. But the thought of any pain at all is making me pretty anxious.

Any advice?

I too have a very low threshold for pain and get easily nauseated. That being said, I had no pain whatsoever. Gas and bloating but no pain. Never took any sort of pain pill. I think most people will tell you any pain they had was minimal. Good luck and you will be fine!!

I'm in the same boat as well - a bit of a baby and pain meds have no effect on me - haven't for years! I don't have the nausea problem though thank goodness. I just had surgery on Th and the meds they gave me at OCC had no effect on me from what I could tell. I was really sore, but it was completely tolerable. I got me a heating pad and that has helped a lot. Just like everyone says, the more you walk the better you will feel and it is totally true! I've been on the couch too much today and I can tell a difference, but don't overdo it! Since I don't go back to work until Wed i've been wanting to do things around the house really bad but I can't let myself.

Sorry, now i'm rambling! :D In a nutshell as someone who can understand your pain (no pun intended!) there will be some discomfort and pain, but completely tolerable. Good luck!!!

I do understand you being worried about pain... I had some pain, but the meds weren't narcotics but anti-inflammatories. At least i didn't get any narcotics....maybe I missed out... :rolleyes: Anway, what I wanted to say was that although there was some pain, I just kept remembering how emotionally painful my life has been as a fat girl. I figured that nothing was as painful as the many comments, unsucessful shopping trips and bathing suit trips I have endured over the years. I said it before but this summer I was asked to get off a roller coaster because the seat belt wouldn't fit around me. THAT was much more painful than any post-surgical discomfort I had to endure. Thinking of all of this helped me - good luck!

I do understand you being worried about pain... I had some pain, but the meds weren't narcotics but anti-inflammatories. At least i didn't get any narcotics....maybe I missed out... :rolleyes: Anway, what I wanted to say was that although there was some pain, I just kept remembering how emotionally painful my life has been as a fat girl. I figured that nothing was as painful as the many comments, unsucessful shopping trips and bathing suit trips I have endured over the years. I said it before but this summer I was asked to get off a roller coaster because the seat belt wouldn't fit around me. THAT was much more painful than any post-surgical discomfort I had to endure. Thinking of all of this helped me - good luck!

AMEN! I won't even complain if it hurts!!!!!!! Nothing could be worse than the shopping trips for the bathing suits!!! Period.