Another stupid Ramona move!

I trapped a feral kitten yesterday here at work and the littler sucker chewed hell out of my hand. Can't believe a hand can bleed so much but my car now needs a professional cleaing to get it all out. YUCK!

We caught the little baby in a have-a-heart trap but when I decided to try to cuddle it WHAMO! I should have known better and I DO know better. Don't know why I did it, it was very stupid. Anyway had to go to the hospital.

Lucky for me there is a current shortage of rabies syrum (how DO you spell that word?) and that my vet has the cat quaratined or I would be crying from 12 or so shots. So, the little sucker knicked my bone in my fingers and the puncture wounds are very deep. I have about 22 holes in my hand and thumb. And they are so FREAKING swollen they hurt so bad. I AM A DUMB A$$.

So I have to take a HUGE augmentin pill and I was able to get it down last night with a hot drink, but in the morning, my band is very tight and I don't know if I will get it down there. It is huge! Like the size of a bee. Biggest pill I ever did see! I forgot to mention the band when I got it or I would have asked for liquid. But I need to get one in me within the hour so do you think it is ok to crush? Some pills can't be crushed but I am not sure about this one.

On the bright side - we got the kitty! And I refuse to have him killed to be tested for rabies. As long as he is alive after 10 days then I am fine. If he were to die then I would have to get the shots. But, thats ok, I can handle the shots. They would have preferred me to kill the cat and have it tested (can only test for rabies by examining the brain) but I couldn't see killing the poor baby when it is highly unlikely that he has it. Contrary to popular opinion it is extremely rare for a cat to get it, and I can't see letting the baby lose his life for a scare like that. So, I was fully prepared to get the shots until they told me that as long as the cat is under observation at the vets office, I didn't have to get them yet. Only if the kitty dies within 10 days.

Of course, I spent the rest of the day in tears. Not sure why, must have been hormonal but I couldn't stop crying over the whole darn thing. I am such a dork!

Hi Mona,

I am so sorry that you and the little kitty went through that. I hope the next 9 days go by fast for you. I have no idea about crushing augmentin. You could call your pharmacist or DR to ask.

I just wanted you to know that I am cheering you on!!!!

Feel better soon.

Amy

Your are a life saver, that kitty needed you for a new start. Sorry you had a momentary lapse of judgement though and got hurt, sound bad. To answer your question yes you can crush your augmentin. No problem in dong that. It is not time released.

Do you plan on fostering this little baby? Or just adding it to your family. One more really isn't anything with all you have already. It's like the TV show about the family with 17 kids and counting...she's pregnant again. That's you Mona except you skip the pregnancy part which is a good thing. What a great person you are!!

You could soak your hand in warm water to help it feel better. I am surprised you had no stitches or did you?

Lova ya kiddo and I love your compassion. Thanks for being here for us and especially that little kitty. What's he look like? Boy or girl? Any name yet?

Your are a life saver, that kitty needed you for a new start. Sorry you had a momentary lapse of judgement though and got hurt, sound bad. To answer your question yes you can crush your augmentin. No problem in dong that. It is not time released.

Do you plan on fostering this little baby? Or just adding it to your family. One more really isn't anything with all you have already. It's like the TV show about the family with 17 kids and counting...she's pregnant again. That's you Mona except you skip the pregnancy part which is a good thing. What a great person you are!!

You could soak your hand in warm water to help it feel better. I am surprised you had no stitches or did you?

Lova ya kiddo and I love your compassion. Thanks for being here for us and especially that little kitty. What's he look like? Boy or girl? Any name yet?

No, I can't keep the baby. 9 is over my limit. It is too expensive at this point because most of my kitties are special needs kitties. I know onw more doesn't sound like a lot, but unfortunataly, I just can't. Anotehr gal here was going to foster him until we could find him a home. Don't know if it's a he or she though. Vet wants to let it alone for a while so he can settle downbefore they traumatize him further. He is a little striped tabby but his stripes are the swirly kind, so darn cute! As soon as I saw him I thought his name should be James. If he turns out to be a girl, he can be Jaimee.

Nope, no stitches but with all that blood I was afraid it was going to be rips in my skin but once I washed my hands, I could see it was just all punctures. About 23 of them. And some went down to the bone and it HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can tell it's infected too because it is red and hot to touch. So glad I started antibiotics. The holes are tiny though because the kitty was tiny. Only about 3 months old I estimate. I just hope he will be ok and won't be afraid of humans forever because of me!

Bless your heart Mona, that's one lucky kitty that you're on his side!!

I have 4 of my own and love them dearly. I can't even imagine having 9!! i saw their pix and they are darling.

I hope you feel better soon. The crying was probably just a 'release cry'. You were overwhelmed, it happens to all of us.

Take care of yourself, (((((HUGS)))) Darlene

That is so great you will be able to find it a home. I'm allergic to cats but I am a HUGE dog lover and I would have done the same if it was a dog. I'd love to have a ton, but I just work too much and i'd sit at work sick to my stomach thinking about them at home by themselves.

And I totally understand the crying. Not sure what it is, but as I get older I cry more and more. My brother made fun of me so bad the other day b/c I was crying watching the Celtics championship ring ceremony! Paul Pierce was crying and I just started sobbing! How sad am I!!

on cats:

You have to earn their trust. We have a feral cat at my parent's house. Now that she trusts me, I can pick her up and hold her and it's no big deal. Same with her kittens, but they have to figure out on their own that you're alright.

what is a feral cat? is the same as wild?

Yup, feral is wild. This poor kitty wasn't always wild. When he was about 8 weeks old someone tossed him and his litter mates out of the car window all around my work complex. One of the was rescued right away and this guy was outside for at least 4 -6 weeks on his own. Enough to make him a bit wild. I don't think he is going to be permanently wild. I jus scared the crap out of him and he reacted the way a at would if he was terrified. I know it was my own fault. I just hope and pray that he recovers and can learn to trust humans. And, that he doesn't have rabies!

My hand is still pretty red and swollen and very hot so I may need to go in and get IV antibiotics instead of these horse pills.

I'm going to call the vet later and see if anyone has had any interaction with the baby yet.

I have taken a pill that was large & cut it in half with a sharp knife to swallow and it worked great.

I did this because first I crushed it and it tasted awful!

I too am scared to swallow a big pill and it getting stuck, especially with my good restriction.

Drinking something warm first also helps.

We rescued a few feral kittens & pregnant cats when I was a girl. We kept one of the kittens,

and I swear to you, it was THEEE SMARTEST cat I have ever owned! Very affectionate too.

^_^