still obese

four months since i was banded (july) and my wt loss has been steadily slowing--very frustrating and discouraging.

i started out great! 10lbs lost on the two week pre-op diet. i was pleasantly surprised (i had never lost that much weight per week before). one month post banding (august) i was disappointed to find that i had only lost another 10lbs. i was surprised that i had only lost half as much weight per week as before being banded. i was on the liquid diet for three of the four weeks. i hadn't cheated at all. and i had already begun light exercising.

two months post banding (sept)--down another 10lbs. again frustrated because i was being "good"--1200 cal/day or less and increasing exercise. this was also when i got my first fill. a demoralizing experience. i did return to the occ for the fill. the doctor (i don't recall his name) who did the fill wasn't very encouraging. when i told him that i could still eat the same way as before being banded, he said i just needed to follow the rules and not rely on feeling any restriction. that i should not wait to feel full before stopping eating. i should just stop when i had eaten about 1/3 of what i used to eat.

i got a 2.5cc fill in a 4cc band and felt no restriction???

i have been reading other people's post and most of you seem to experience increased weight loss after getting fills done. so i tried to stay optimistic--10lbs a month isn't huge weight loss, but it is steady and will eventually get me where i want to be (just slower than i wanted to get there).

month three--october. down 9 lbs. going to the gym regularly now. absolutely no change in the way i am able to eat. i did binge a couple of times since my last weigh-in (i weigh-in once a month).i am getting to the point now where my diets usually fail. i am getting no negative feed-back from my band--i can eat everything i've always been able to eat; in the amounts i've been able to eat with no discomfort????

month four--nov--today--down 5lbs.

so far i have lost 44lbs--i am actually over the half-way point--30lbs left to go. but, i am losing steam. i do have a second fill scheduled for the first week of dec. but, i am worried that i may still not get any resrtiction.

if i can't get to the point of feeling any restriction, than i know i will not only not reach my goal weight. i will eventually start regaining the weight i have already lost ):

for my height (5'10") and build my ideal weight would be 155. obese is defined as more than 20% above one's ideal weight. so for me, anything above 186 is obese. today i weighed in at 188. i am depressed that i haven't experienced restriction yet. i am depressed that i am still obese. i am depressed that when i tried on size 16 pants yesterday, they didn't fit.

and when i get depressed, guess what i turn to for comfort?? food!

anyway, really needed to vent.

pieinsky

Depressed because you lost 44 pounds in 4 months? Come on sweetie, thats fantastic! 8 - 10 pounds a month is normal and is what you want. Too fast and you will have saggy skin and it is easier to gain back then. Don't be depressed, you have no reason to be at all!

And it is also VERY common to not feel restriction until your 2nd or 3rd fill. That is all perfectly normal. You are entirely too hard on yourself and you need to lighten up! You are doing fantastic!

You did not have gastric by pass, so you are not going to have those 'superfast' results. YOU ARE DOING GREAT! At your pace, one would lose atleast 100 lbs in a year! That is outstanding. If the scale is going down, you are conquering obesity, and really, who cares if it takes twice as long as those who have had gastric by pass. You are losing weight at a healthy pace and that is so important!

Don't be discouraged, keep it up! Good luck with your next fill, I am sure you will have a little more restriction that will boost your weight loss and your self esteem! Let us know how it goes!

four months since i was banded (july) and my wt loss has been steadily slowing--very frustrating and discouraging.

i started out great! 10lbs lost on the two week pre-op diet. i was pleasantly surprised (i had never lost that much weight per week before). one month post banding (august) i was disappointed to find that i had only lost another 10lbs. i was surprised that i had only lost half as much weight per week as before being banded. i was on the liquid diet for three of the four weeks. i hadn't cheated at all. and i had already begun light exercising.

two months post banding (sept)--down another 10lbs. again frustrated because i was being "good"--1200 cal/day or less and increasing exercise. this was also when i got my first fill. a demoralizing experience. i did return to the occ for the fill. the doctor (i don't recall his name) who did the fill wasn't very encouraging. when i told him that i could still eat the same way as before being banded, he said i just needed to follow the rules and not rely on feeling any restriction. that i should not wait to feel full before stopping eating. i should just stop when i had eaten about 1/3 of what i used to eat.

i got a 2.5cc fill in a 4cc band and felt no restriction???

i have been reading other people's post and most of you seem to experience increased weight loss after getting fills done. so i tried to stay optimistic--10lbs a month isn't huge weight loss, but it is steady and will eventually get me where i want to be (just slower than i wanted to get there).

month three--october. down 9 lbs. going to the gym regularly now. absolutely no change in the way i am able to eat. i did binge a couple of times since my last weigh-in (i weigh-in once a month).i am getting to the point now where my diets usually fail. i am getting no negative feed-back from my band--i can eat everything i've always been able to eat; in the amounts i've been able to eat with no discomfort????

month four--nov--today--down 5lbs.

so far i have lost 44lbs--i am actually over the half-way point--30lbs left to go. but, i am losing steam. i do have a second fill scheduled for the first week of dec. but, i am worried that i may still not get any resrtiction.

if i can't get to the point of feeling any restriction, than i know i will not only not reach my goal weight. i will eventually start regaining the weight i have already lost ):

for my height (5'10") and build my ideal weight would be 155. obese is defined as more than 20% above one's ideal weight. so for me, anything above 186 is obese. today i weighed in at 188. i am depressed that i haven't experienced restriction yet. i am depressed that i am still obese. i am depressed that when i tried on size 16 pants yesterday, they didn't fit.

and when i get depressed, guess what i turn to for comfort?? food!

anyway, really needed to vent.

pieinsky

Hooray, hooray you are doing so well!! Slow and steady is what I want. Less skin to sag, healthier and the way it is supposed to be done. I am not feeling restriction either and I am doing all the work but I believe that maybe we really are since we are losing. Sit back and look at your ole' self and the clothes that you wore and thank your lucky stars that you are not in the beginning stages of wondering if the band is for you. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

As the rest of the gang has said 44 lbs is great for 4 months. Slower is better for the people that have the lapband. I'm at the same pace 10lbs per month. I hope you continue with you're weight lost and dont get discurraged.

It sounds like you are right on track! You have lost alot of weight in just 4 months. Always remember, your lap band is a tool that will be in you forever if you want it to. This is not a race....take your time. ><'

CONGRATULATIONS on your weightloss so far !

44 lbs. in 4 month is a fabulous result!

Anything between 1-3 lbs. a week is just the way it suppose to be. We are all different, some lose faster - some lose slower, but at the end of the day WE ARE ALL LOSERS ><'

44lbs in 4 months is HUGE! I didn't start losing weight until after my 3rd fill. From the time I was banded 3/24 to my 3rd fill in August I only lost like 25lbs :( Now I'm 7 months banded and down 70 lbs which averages out to 10lbs a month.. which is FANTASTIC. I am 5'8" and today weigh 205lbs.. I wear a size 16 .. while I understand your depression and still feeling obese I can tell you without even seeing a picture of you there is NO WAY you look obese!! Girl.. you are 5'10" tall and weigh 188lbs.. do not let other peoples ideas of what is "skinny" influence you! How do you feel? You must've gone down several sizes by now?

I'm glad you posted. We are all here for you!! You are doing GREAT!

As far as not feeling restriction everyone is different. If you are able to eat more than 1/2 cup - 1 cup at a sitting then you need a fill. Do not worry whether or not this fill will be "the one" it's part of the upkeep of having lapband, you just have to do it.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Everyone else has said, but I am gonna say it too!!! You are doing awesome. You are a lap band role model. I think you will be very happy with your next fill. I only had restrict for a few weeks after my first fill. Now after my 2nd, I have amazing restriction. You will get there.

Keep us posted.

Hooray for you.

Amy

Well, all I can say it that I hope that I can do as good as you as far as the weight loss!!!!!! I will be jumping for joy if I am as successfull as you!

Evidentally the band is doing the job it is suppose to do!

Congrats, keep up the good work, and stop making me jealous! :rolleyes: