soft food.v. solid food

I WAS AT MY FILL STATION THE OTHER DAY TO BE WEIGHTED IN, AND I WAS TALKING TO MY FILL PERSON, I ASK HIM ABOUT SOFT FOOD VERSUS SOLID FOOD, IF SOFT FOOD WENT THROUGH MY BAND RIGHT AWAY VERSUS SOLID FOOD STAYING IN MY POUCH LONGER. HE SAY THAT SOFT FOOD STAY IN THERE JUST LIKE SOLID FOODS. AND I ASK HIM IF I CAN EAT MORE W/SOFT FOODS. HE SAY I CANT. I FEEL I CAN EAT MORE SOFT FOOD VERSUS EATING SOLID FOODS.

I ASK HIM THIS QUESTION, BECAUSE I FEEL I WAS EATING MORE SOFT FOOD, LIKE SALADS AND STILL FEELING HUNGURY. I HOPE THIS MAKES SINCE, BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE SOME FEED BACK. THANKS KAREN

Hi there, I was told the opposite...but it depends on the soft food.

I find that eating pasta or chili which is slippery, does not stay and I feel hungrier sooner. When I eat solids, such as steak, beef chicken, w/veggies or mashed potatoes...I feel full alot longer.

If I eat pasta, I eat the chicken or meatballs first and then the pasta to lay a protein base in my pouch.

Interesting point though!!

Pasta also breaks down quickly...

...if you guys will think back before we all got banded. Remember how you could fill up on pasta, and then 30min or an hour later, it feels like someone punched you in the stomach in one spot.

That's the structure of the pasta breaking down, and collapsing...before it gets thru your system, so your stomach responds by making you feel hungry in that one spot where it collapsed, but because it's a localized area, and not over the whole of your stomach, you interpret that feeling as pain.

Soft foods are generally a no-no...but there's no harm in eating them as a "reward" food. Say once a week.

The thing about dieting and calorie management, you can't just restrict yourself and that's it...(unless you have the type of personality that supports that)...eventually you'll snap and binge, and then you're screwed.

All things in moderation, including moderation.

Pasta also breaks down quickly...

...if you guys will think back before we all got banded. Remember how you could fill up on pasta, and then 30min or an hour later, it feels like someone punched you in the stomach in one spot.

That's the structure of the pasta breaking down, and collapsing...before it gets thru your system, so your stomach responds by making you feel hungry in that one spot where it collapsed, but because it's a localized area, and not over the whole of your stomach, you interpret that feeling as pain.

Soft foods are generally a no-no...but there's no harm in eating them as a "reward" food. Say once a week.

The thing about dieting and calorie management, you can't just restrict yourself and that's it...(unless you have the type of personality that supports that)...eventually you'll snap and binge, and then you're screwed.

All things in moderation, including moderation.

Ok, so what constitutes as a "soft food" really? Pudding? Mashed Potatos? Chilli? Hot oatmeal?

Although pudding and mashed potatos aren't going to be on a healthy diet much anyways, I can see things like oatmeal and SunnyBoy being something to eat once in a while for breakfast on a cold morning. And healthier prepared chilli... *yum*

Interesting if anyone knows a good source to explain/document the differences.

Taz

Ok, so what constitutes as a "soft food" really? Pudding? Mashed Potatos? Chilli? Hot oatmeal?

Although pudding and mashed potatos aren't going to be on a healthy diet much anyways, I can see things like oatmeal and SunnyBoy being something to eat once in a while for breakfast on a cold morning. And healthier prepared chilli... *yum*

Interesting if anyone knows a good source to explain/document the differences.

Taz

All I got to say is, oatmeal is soft and mushy but keeps me full for a looooong time!