Is this the way it's supposed to feel?

I got a fill, and at first it was too tight. I had a slight unfill... and while still tight, I could get fluids down and perhaps a few bites of food.

The problem is that I now HATE to eat. It hurts. As soon as I put a bite of anything in my mouth, it feels like my throat seizes up and it hurts all the way down. I could see if it was uncomfortable once it got to my stomach - but the MOMENT I SWALLOW?!? WTF?!?

I have lost 15 lb. in the last month since I had the fill (YAY!), but I know I am not getting nearly enough protein in (I had my levels checked) and am drinking most of my calories (juices and Gatorade). I like having the restriction, and I wouldn't mind at all if I could only eat a few bites - if it DIDN'T HURT ALL THE WAY DOWN! OUCH!

Does anyone else have this? Is it normal? Am I just being a big crybaby? LOL!

I just had my protein levels checked yesterday, and have since bought slim fast and protein shakes so that I can start getting more protein at least... but I really don't want to live on a liquid diet - it was bad enough doing it before surgery!

Sorry if I'm being whiny - or if this has been answered before. I'm not on the forums much because I use my BlackBerry as a modem, and it's sssssssssllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww....

Thanks for any help!

BeBe

p.s. If anyone remembers my goal dress - well, it finally fits and zips all the way up. Double Yay

Somehow I accidentally posted this in the fill topic... so I am reposting it here. If anyone can delete the other thread, I'd appreciate it!

I got a fill, and at first it was too tight. I had a slight unfill... and while still tight, I could get fluids down and perhaps a few bites of food.

The problem is that I now HATE to eat. It hurts. As soon as I put a bite of anything in my mouth, it feels like my throat seizes up and it hurts all the way down. I could see if it was uncomfortable once it got to my stomach - but the MOMENT I SWALLOW?!? WTF?!?

I have lost 15 lb. in the last month since I had the fill (YAY!), but I know I am not getting nearly enough protein in (I had my levels checked) and am drinking most of my calories (juices and Gatorade). I like having the restriction, and I wouldn't mind at all if I could only eat a few bites - if it DIDN'T HURT ALL THE WAY DOWN! OUCH!

Does anyone else have this? Is it normal? Am I just being a big crybaby? LOL!

I just had my protein levels checked yesterday, and have since bought slim fast and protein shakes so that I can start getting more protein at least... but I really don't want to live on a liquid diet - it was bad enough doing it before surgery!

Sorry if I'm being whiny - or if this has been answered before. I'm not on the forums much because I use my BlackBerry as a modem, and it's sssssssssllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww....

Thanks for any help!

BeBe

p.s. If anyone remembers my goal dress - well, it finally fits and zips all the way up. Double Yay

I am sorry, BeBe that you are having a tough time. Have you tried the protein bullets? They could help you with getting your protein levels up until you can get in for a slight unfill. It seems that you are too tight and may need to take it easy for a couple days, going back to liquids. I use the 42 gram protein bullets to help supplement my protein intake and they are really good. I love the fruit punch one; I mix with sugar free crystal light and can't tast anything weird, etc. I split them in half and have half in the a.m. (21 grams protein) and then half in the afternoon (21 grams of protein). That coupled with other sources of protein throughout the day allows me to get my required 60-90 grams a day. If the tightness continues, you probably should get in and get an unfill. I had a fill on 10/15 and can tell I already need another. I called late on Friday to make an appt and they are supposed to call me tomorow to schedule. I hope I can get in within the month. I have lost 5 lbs since being filled, however it all happened the first 2 weeks.

Good luck and remember to take it easy!

Oh and congrats on the 15 lbs. That is so awesome!

Hi Bebe, nice to hear from you..we've missed you!!

Glad you have restriction..I went through the exact same thing after my last fill...a few bites of food is all I could manage..so I was back on shakes to get in the protein and vitamins.

It will loosen up a bit..mine did...and now I can eat just the right amount. I lost 7 lbs in 10 days...which is alot, maybe too much too fast, but I'll take it!!

You are doing great, as long as you can get in enough vitamins and nutrients and stay healthy, you'll be fine.

And whine all you want my dear...that's why we are here!!!

Take care bella!!

Thanks for the responses. :-)

What I really want to know, is whether or not it's uncomfortable for everyone else to eat. Like I said, I can totally understand when you get something stuck (had it happen), or when you eat too much... but does each bite of food hurt AS IT GOES DOWN? That's what's really freaking me out. Does having restriction also mean you can no longer even enjoy food at all because eating even a single bite is painful?

I just don't understand why the heck even ONE BITE of food will be painful going down my esophagus - long before it ever reaches my band or stomach.

What I really want to know, is whether or not it's uncomfortable for everyone else to eat. Like I said, I can totally understand when you get something stuck (had it happen), or when you eat too much... but does each bite of food hurt AS IT GOES DOWN? That's what's really freaking me out. Does having restriction also mean you can no longer even enjoy food at all because eating even a single bite is painful?

I just don't understand why the heck even ONE BITE of food will be painful going down my esophagus - long before it ever reaches my band or stomach.

No, it's not supposed to hurt to eat a bite of food. My first thought is how well you are chewing, but if everything, even soft foods or near liquids hurt, that isn't as it should be.

I'm over a year away from my surgery, and I have to admit I don't reply much anymore because I have truly forgotten some of the feelings, both physical and emotional, that I felt when i was first banded. But I do know that pain is not the norm, unless you eat too fast, too much, or don't chew. I do have to be careful about what I eat and how I eat it, but I enjoy eating still and don't have any pain unless I get something stuck. Did you have fluoro with your fill? If it is available, I might think about another fluoro to see if everything is okay. My next thought is, are you sure it is a physical pain? I'm not belittling your pain, but if you had some real "stuck"issues when you were too tight, you might be experiencing an emotional fear reaction to eating that is unconsciously making you tighten up and results in pain. Either way, i would want to know what is going on and talk to a doctor. Good luck; we are thinking about you.

Sometimes I feel that too..I think I am taking too big a bite...eat small and slow and see if it still happens..you may be slightly too tight...be careful you don't want to hurt yourself.

BeBe

No, it is not painful for me to eat. I do not think it is supposed to be painful to eat. Pain is usually an indication that something is wrong. If your fill is too tight, it can cause quite a bit of discomfort. Constant upper abdominal pain worsened by eating or drinking is one of the symptoms of a too tight band. So is only being able to eat "very small" amounts of solid food. And, as you probably already know, not being able to tolerate liquids is considered an emergency.

My fill doctor told me the a too tight band will not just magically losen up and that you increase the risk of complications with your band the longer you wait. He also told me (bless his heart) not to take advice from people who lack proper training and experience. Please see your doctor and let us know how things turn out. I hope you feel better soon.

I just joined the forum, but felt like I needed to respond.

I had my band put in 3-07; was doing very well had lost about 25# in 5 months. My weight loss slowed and my new md (my original left the area) decided to increase the fill. I have had difficulty both times I reached 4ml.

I had too much fluid in, couldn't hardly eat anything, however I could get fluid in. My loss stopped, I got very ill, even aspirated several times and ended up with pneunomia becase of the "tightness"

I would suspect your band is too tight; you shouldn't have pain, everytime you eat (unless eating too much, or not chewing your food adequately).

I would suggest to notify your md to decrease the fluid in the band.

I think it is easy to get "caught up" in the excitement and think that more is better, when it really isn't. It's fine line when we fill. I have learned that patience and consistence with eating is of utmost importance.

I think it is easy to get "caught up" in the excitement and think that more is better, when it really isn't. It's fine line when we fill. I have learned that patience and consistence with eating is of utmost importance.

I completely and totally agree. I don't do aggressive fills. I prefer that I have to have some degree of control over my body and what I put in it now that I'm so much better about it. Today I got excited about beet salad. I mean really! I don't crave or want burgers or fries or pizza anymore. I pass by Wendy's, KFC, Chinese Food, Tim Horton's, MacDonald's, etc., and drive the extra five or ten minutes to get to the store that has the tapioca wraps I want for my avocado wraps. It just really doesn't faze me in the slightest anymore.

It's all about the quality of the foods I eat now. I read labels and I think about what I'm about to eat rather than just eating for the sake of eating. My skin is better, my health is better, I have a ton of energy and I look and feel better. I must be doing something right! Having said that, I'm not a born-again eater. If my hubby wants 'za or a burger, then so be it. I have what I want to replace that choice. If he wants it twice a week, that's a problem and I'm a nag about it!

I like that I have some maneouverability when I eat and I don't have to PB or slime unless it is entirely my fault because I ate too fast or didn't chew enough rather than I was just too tight. I worry about getting enough natural nutrition for my body. I worry that if my fill is consistently tight I might have erosion and lose it forever in the worst case scenario. I worry that I'm too reliant on my band and I'm not learning as I go. If my band had to leave me forever tomorrow would I regain my weight loss and more because I didn't change my habits with self sufficiency?

Everyone is different and everyone will approach their band differently. This is just my approach. Eventually I want the comfort of knowing that my band is there but the freedom of it being completely unfilled while I still make good decisions. That's when I will know I'm successful. I'm still learning and I will make mistakes but I'm comfortable now with this journey. Like the lady said, "It's a marathon not a sprint".

Jann

EXCELLENT post Jann. This is how I feel as well. I, myself, want to have more control of what I am eating. I NEED to know what I am eating is for the best for me and choosing the right foods, quality food, is what I need to learn. This also applies to exercising too.

Yes, the band is a tool, but we use this tool as a team along with the food and exercises we do for our own body. I want to know that if for some reason I had to have the band remove, I will still have that knowledge to do portion control and commit to my well being with exercising and such. I don't want the band to overwhelm me with too tight of a fill that I am forced to drink or eat smaller portion.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to rambling on...but, to me, it's all about how I am going to start living the new healthier me from here on in.

((HUGS!))...Jude ^,,^

EXCELLENT post Jann. This is how I feel as well. I, myself, want to have more control of what I am eating. I NEED to know what I am eating is for the best for me and choosing the right foods, quality food, is what I need to learn. This also applies to exercising too.

Yes, the band is a tool, but we use this tool as a team along with the food and exercises we do for our own body. I want to know that if for some reason I had to have the band remove, I will still have that knowledge to do portion control and commit to my well being with exercising and such. I don't want the band to overwhelm me with too tight of a fill that I am forced to drink or eat smaller portion.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to rambling on...but, to me, it's all about how I am going to start living the new healthier me from here on in.

((HUGS!))...Jude ^,,^

AMEN sister-friend! It's not a ramble it's a new direction.

Warm hugs!

Jann

I too have pain when I eat, but usually is after the second bite. I called my fill doctor today. I got a fill about a month ago and did ok, was eating about 5 bites a meal. Then this past weekend, I did great, ate about 10 bites or so (baby fingernail size) of steak, no problems. On Monday I tried to eat some chili and after 3 bites, I was hurting like HELL. I ended up vomiting and PB'ing for several hours, then felt better. Since then I have not been able to eat more than 2 bites without pain and pbing. My doctor instructed me to go back to clear fluids for 2 days, then slowly progress my food back and see how I do. She said if still having problems, then will need an unfill. I personally think alot of it is stress, but.............we need some food. You may want to try the liquids a few days again and if no result go back, or just call the doctor and talk to them.

Hope things get better for you.

Hi BeBe, I know that my response is days after you have posted, but I bet you're still interested in as many answers as you can get. I know EXACTLY what you are experiencing. Except for the part where you have pain the moment you eat. I think that could be a spasm because your body knows what is coming or anticipating the pain. But in terms of your other statements, I would get the horrible "stuck" pain often, several times a day. And I have had four separate episodes of severe stuck pain, that was just beyond terrible. On a scale of 1 to 10, about a 1000. I was emailing people, trying to find out if they had this too. If it's normal. This is what I learned. Most people, if they eat too much, too fast, not well chewed etc. etc., will get episodes of PB or sliming. Some of us, but definitely not most people, get this awful, awful pain. I don't even think it's 10% of people, but there are others. I know in my case, I kept thinking "I ate too fast" or "I didn't chew well." But in retrospect, it was relatively random. I mean it wasn't totally random, I did have to eat a troubling food like chicken for it to happen. But I wasn't chewing less or eating more than many other times when I didn't go through these horrible episodes. I finally went back to OCC last week for a partial unfill. I know it's too soon to say, but what a relief. There is now some correlation between what I am eating and if I have a problem. First I get a warning, like a tightness, or having swallowed a golf ball. So I wait. And after I wait until it passes, as long as I chew well and eat slowly, I know I will be ok. It is a relief I cannot even describe to know that I won't be having a severe problem. Also, in retrospect, and I know this doesn't sound like it makes sense, but here it is. I was favoring soft foods. I know everyone said that was a warning sign to being too tight. But living it, in the moment, it didn't really occur to me. It was my first fill, I figured this is "normal" and this is the way the band works. The fact that my painful episodes seemed pretty random also made me think that it was me not chewing well, not the band too tight. But in retrospect, I was favoring soft foods, almost unconsciously. Also, I was, in anything, gaining weight, because I was getting no satisfaction or full feeling ever from food. Both no physical full feeling and no psychological full feeling. So I literally ate ice cream every single night because I knew it wouldn't hurt and because I was so upset that I couldn't eat any real food and because I was hungry. Finally when I realized that, I thought it was so stupid I should have the band removed. Instead, last week, I had an unfill. And it's much, much better. Now I feel like Jann who said I want to have some control. I want to just feel the band a bit, be aware and make proper adjustments. So to try to answer you exactly, having now been on both sides, NO eating should not hurt. You should be able to eat real food, yes even a small sandwich, with small bites, one at a time, chewing a lot. At most, you should get like a warning, a full uncomfortableness in the middle of your chest which means: STOP and wait. In a few minutes it should subside letting you continue with small bites, well chewed. At times like this I will take a sip, just a sip of water (I AM NOT YOUR DOCTOR!! but this works for me) to wet my mouth, like a lubricant. Like you, I began to think that the way the band was supposed to work was that the pain would cause you never to want to eat, and wow, you would lose weight. But then it backfires because you're so frustrated about food all the time. Turns out that's NOT how it's supposed to work. It's supposed to feel like I just wrote, because I've been on both sides. Good luck.

Hi BeBe, I know that my response is days after you have posted, but I bet you're still interested in as many answers as you can get. I know EXACTLY what you are experiencing. Except for the part where you have pain the moment you eat. I think that could be a spasm because your body knows what is coming or anticipating the pain. But in terms of your other statements, I would get the horrible "stuck" pain often, several times a day. And I have had four separate episodes of severe stuck pain, that was just beyond terrible. On a scale of 1 to 10, about a 1000. I was emailing people, trying to find out if they had this too. If it's normal. This is what I learned. Most people, if they eat too much, too fast, not well chewed etc. etc., will get episodes of PB or sliming. Some of us, but definitely not most people, get this awful, awful pain. I don't even think it's 10% of people, but there are others. I know in my case, I kept thinking "I ate too fast" or "I didn't chew well." But in retrospect, it was relatively random. I mean it wasn't totally random, I did have to eat a troubling food like chicken for it to happen. But I wasn't chewing less or eating more than many other times when I didn't go through these horrible episodes. I finally went back to OCC last week for a partial unfill. I know it's too soon to say, but what a relief. There is now some correlation between what I am eating and if I have a problem. First I get a warning, like a tightness, or having swallowed a golf ball. So I wait. And after I wait until it passes, as long as I chew well and eat slowly, I know I will be ok. It is a relief I cannot even describe to know that I won't be having a severe problem. Also, in retrospect, and I know this doesn't sound like it makes sense, but here it is. I was favoring soft foods. I know everyone said that was a warning sign to being too tight. But living it, in the moment, it didn't really occur to me. It was my first fill, I figured this is "normal" and this is the way the band works. The fact that my painful episodes seemed pretty random also made me think that it was me not chewing well, not the band too tight. But in retrospect, I was favoring soft foods, almost unconsciously. Also, I was, in anything, gaining weight, because I was getting no satisfaction or full feeling ever from food. Both no physical full feeling and no psychological full feeling. So I literally ate ice cream every single night because I knew it wouldn't hurt and because I was so upset that I couldn't eat any real food and because I was hungry. Finally when I realized that, I thought it was so stupid I should have the band removed. Instead, last week, I had an unfill. And it's much, much better. Now I feel like Jann who said I want to have some control. I want to just feel the band a bit, be aware and make proper adjustments. So to try to answer you exactly, having now been on both sides, NO eating should not hurt. You should be able to eat real food, yes even a small sandwich, with small bites, one at a time, chewing a lot. At most, you should get like a warning, a full uncomfortableness in the middle of your chest which means: STOP and wait. In a few minutes it should subside letting you continue with small bites, well chewed. At times like this I will take a sip, just a sip of water (I AM NOT YOUR DOCTOR!! but this works for me) to wet my mouth, like a lubricant. Like you, I began to think that the way the band was supposed to work was that the pain would cause you never to want to eat, and wow, you would lose weight. But then it backfires because you're so frustrated about food all the time. Turns out that's NOT how it's supposed to work. It's supposed to feel like I just wrote, because I've been on both sides. Good luck.

Excellent post and well balanced from someone who's walked on both sides. Thanks for your insight!

Jann

Excellent post and well balanced from someone who's walked on both sides. Thanks for your insight!

Jann

Thanks Jann, I really liked your post where you said you want to feel the band so that you could make the adjustment. Me too. You look great and also no smoking. WOW! Take care.

Thanks Jann, I really liked your post where you said you want to feel the band so that you could make the adjustment. Me too. You look great and also no smoking. WOW! Take care.

Thank you for that! I figured if I could quit a lifelong eating habit smokes couldn't be that far behind. I quit one day and just didn't pick it back up again. It's a miracle but I'll take it! hehe --

Jann