Help pls, Im confused

Im scheduled to see Dr. Ortiz next week. I was pretty sure I wanted to get the band but now im not so sure.

I have read success stories and some that have taken a while to get the weight off. I in no means am looking for a miracle and have the weight melt off in weeks/months. Id be happy with 8-10lbs a month as long as im losing.

But ive also been reading people saing they finally got it and that they didnt feel restriction. That confuses me, why get the band then? if I wont have any restriction and eat the same. I am paying out of pocket and to have all that money just go to me seeing that I eat a lot which I already know then why get it?

Everyone is different but I need help with portions. I have a hard time eating small portions. I eat pretty well I say but I eat a lot of it.

I just dont know if I should get it now.

Haley, it's understandable to be nervous about how this whole process works.

You will read the good, the bad and the ugly on the forum. There are success stories, there are people who are struggling. It's all part of having the band.

Getting the lapband surgery is step one...after you have recovered you need to book a fill and keep on top of getting fills to ensure that you have restriction and are full after eating just 3/4 cup of food per meal.

I am a success story, I have premium aftercare and when I need a fill, I call the clinic and get in right away. I was banded in Ontario, Canada, one hour from home and paid for the surgery myself as well. The cost was twice that of the OCC and all aftercare for 5 years is included.

You make your own success with the band, if you get the fills when you need them and follow the protein, veggies, grains, fruit (in that order) plan and exercise ...you will be successful.

It's about committment to the lifestyle change, if you are ready to lose 8-10 lbs per month and follow the plan to a healthier, thinner lifestyle, you are ready for this!!

It is one of the best decisions I have ever made and I know you can do this and feel the excitement too!!

Best of Luck!!

Im scheduled to see Dr. Ortiz next week. I was pretty sure I wanted to get the band but now im not so sure.

I have read success stories and some that have taken a while to get the weight off. I in no means am looking for a miracle and have the weight melt off in weeks/months. Id be happy with 8-10lbs a month as long as im losing.

But ive also been reading people saing they finally got it and that they didnt feel restriction. That confuses me, why get the band then? if I wont have any restriction and eat the same. I am paying out of pocket and to have all that money just go to me seeing that I eat a lot which I already know then why get it?

Everyone is different but I need help with portions. I have a hard time eating small portions. I eat pretty well I say but I eat a lot of it.

Haley

Thanks for posting, we are here for you. I know you will get many responses to this but here's my 2 cents :)

You are right, the band is NOT a miracle and if you have a pre-conceived idea that you must lose 8-10lbs a month or you will not be happy then you are setting yourself up for failure. You don't get "banded" and then have no follow up/ upkeep.. the upkeep on the band is called "fills".. and this is what give you the restriction to be able to eat less and lose weight. When you are first banded the band is empty because your body needs time to heal. You may or may not lose weight between being banded and your first fill (6 weeks). between march 24th (banded date) and 3rd fill (august) I only lost 25lbs. Yep.. 25lbs... did I think I was a failure? Absolutely NOT! If I had NOT gotten the band I wouldve been gaining and would have been up to 300lbs. It took time for me to "get it" and by that I mean work with my band, get my portions under control, make good food choices AND my 3rd fill got me to the restriction point I needed that makes if physically impossible for me to eat more thatn 1/2 cup of food at a sitting. I don't want to sound harsh or discourgage you but PLEASE know it is NOT instant, it takes time and it takes a lot of work from YOU.

I am thankful each and everyday for the band! Everyday I say a little "thanks to the universe" for my success. I'm down over 70lbs since being banded!

We are all here for you and please keep your surgery date it will be the best thing you ever did. It won't be the fastest thing but it WILL work.

I went through the same feelings and emotions that you are experiencing right now. The band will be a life changing tool. I am being banded Nov. 20th. I almost cancelled many times due to uncertainty. Not knowing if I had the willpower to do this. From what I understand, you will not have restriction right away, you may have to have several fills to your band before you reach that wonderful restriction. I have already mentally prepared myself to the fact that it may be March or April until I actually get the help the band offers. 10 years ago I lost around 107 pounds only to gradually gain most of it back. I loved being thin, I loved the way it made me feel, mentally and physically. I could go in a restuarant and not be self conscious. Having gained back most of my weight, I am suffering both mentally and pysically. I am exhausted by the end of the day, and I never think I look good anymore. This has caused a lot of tension in my marriage because I just don't feel sexy EVER!!!!!

I too am paying for this myself. My wonderful husband borrowed the money against his 401k. They take the payment out of his check each week to pay his 401k back. I know I could do a lot of things with the $8,000 +, but I know that if I don't do this, I will be even heavier this time next year.

I know the lapband will work for me, but I realize it will take time. Also, the way I look at it, I waste a lot of money on dumb things all the time, this is my health and mental happiness $8,000 is actually a small price to pay. The lapband is giving me hope!

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will consider everything and do what is best for you.

Kimberly

I am ready to make a change in my eating and exercise more. Im tired all the time and its also taking from my marriage. I dont want to do anything and the worst for my husband is my self confidence.

I just need that little help doing this. I dont wnat to feel the same as now. I know its worth it if I lose slow because its better than staying how I am now or gaining even more.

I get discouraged when I read that people eat the same and have no restriction. One person said after a year that they felt the same. I dont know if its because they arnt working with the band (which makes sense) or they are.

I just want to know if I work with my band and eat healthier and exercise daily, will it help to eat smaller portions.

I am ready to make a change in my eating and exercise more. Im tired all the time and its also taking from my marriage. I dont want to do anything and the worst for my husband is my self confidence.

I just need that little help doing this. I dont wnat to feel the same as now. I know its worth it if I lose slow because its better than staying how I am now or gaining even more.

I get discouraged when I read that people eat the same and have no restriction. One person said after a year that they felt the same. I dont know if its because they arnt working with the band (which makes sense) or they are.

I just want to know if I work with my band and eat healthier and exercise daily, will it help to eat smaller portions.

Haley,

I agree with what the others have said so far. You have to work within the rules / guidelines in order for your band to be successful. We all have shared similar feelings as you but the bottom line is it is ultimately up to you as to whether it is worth it or not or if this is your time. I made my decision to take control of my life, 10/19/2007 and don't regret it for one minute. I had my surgery paid for by insurance and had to go through the 6 month pre-workup which included meeting with a dietician and my surgeon monthly till the time of surgery. From 11/01/2007 to 07/01/08 I lost 35 lbs on my own, meaning through diet and exercise. I made a lot of great changes during that time period that have made all the difference with the success I have achieved since the band. I work out every day for an hour to hour and half, I eat right, I get appropriate levels of sleep and I engage myself with those around me. Prior to starting this journey I had checked out - both mentally and physically. It was all just too hard.

I was banded on 07/01/2008 and have lost another 25 lbs since then. I can honestly say I have thought it was slow at times and have wondered would I have lost the same amount if I would have just continued with my original plan I was following prior to being banded. With that said, I will never know because I chose to go the extra step and get the "insurance policy" and have myself banded for life. The way my doctor explained it to my husband (who was not on board with the surgery 'till just recently) is that anyone can lose weight. Some people lose faster than others, but it is physically impossible to not be able to lose weight. However, and this a big however, 100% of people who try to lose weight through diet and exercise only gain back eventually. Getting the band, or gastric bypass limits that risk. Sure we can gain back - but we have a tool for when we do fall off of the wagon. I have consistently lost weight through this journey and it has been incredibly slow and sometimes frustrating; however, I am much, much better off than I was at this time last year at over 260 lbs.

I wish you much luck with your decision process and am confident that whatever choice you make it will be the right one for you. Remember to stay true to yourself and you won't fail.

:)

Each person is different, but I truly believe that if I do my part, and get my fills, I too will achieve restriction. I lost before, but only with the aid of phentermine, eating very little, and excercising several times per day. I do not have the time, nor the drive to go that route again. The band is going to be my best friend, my Jiminy Cricket (conscience), and the tool that I use to reach my goal. Even if it takes a long time to get there. I am a middle school math teacher, I have two children, and I am working the after-school program to help pay my husband's 401k back for my band. I plan on doing the best I can, but I know my results will be slow. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I am already down 17lbs. from the day I called and booked my surgery. It can only get better and better.

As for eating smaller portions, yes, your brain will eventually adjust to what a portion really should look like. Head hunger Sucks!!! With the proper fill level in your band you will have no choice but to learn portion control and eventually your brain will agree with your band.

Kimberly

• 2 weeks later...

8-10 pounds a month is a high expectation.

I would be happy to lose a pound a week!

I have lost so slow the last couple of months, I am going for another fill as soon as I can get in to the doctors office.

I still struggle with giving up food or being overweight. But that is because I am looking for food to be more than just nurishment. I guess that I am not one of the bandsters that have "gotten it" yet. But I am looking forward to the day it

will all just click for me.

Hey Haley, like the rest of the girls have said I to would have been on that path of 300lbs plus. I am 46 years young and I say young because this band has given me energy and my life back. My father died at the age of 48 I was only 21 at the time, the doctor told my mother that if I didnt take care of myself I would be in his same condittion. So I did it for health reasons, I was at 265 when I made the call and I still struggle with food choices. But every day gets better and better. I have lost a total of 58lbs in 5 1/2 months. I love this band, with the 2.5cc in it, I have restriction and it tells me when to stop. I hope that you think about it, and I hope you choose to do it. I know you wont regret it.