RX meds after surgery?

jarvis

I am scheduled for surgery on 12/12. I take 4 types of prescription (for heart condition) meds. I see alot of talk on liquid vitamins. Are you not able to have solid pills after the surgery? If so, for how long?

I guess I could crush in a teaspoon of water?????

I am scheduled for surgery on 12/12. I take 4 types of prescription (for heart condition) meds. I see alot of talk on liquid vitamins. Are you not able to have solid pills after the surgery? If so, for how long?

Congrats on the surgery. I just had my surgery on the 11th of November and it seems that the concern of taking medication is the pill size. I had to take gas x after surgery and the pills were small so it was ok to take them. They offer the liquid pain medicine and vitamins to make it easier for you. Hopefully your heart medications are not big pills.

I personally think its all in a patients mind. Some how they get the notion that after being banded they can't swallow a pill. Big vitamin pills never got stuck or backed up on me. I guess if your pills are the size of golfballs then I'd be concerned. The best rule of thumb is to swallow each pill one at a time over a period of time and see what happens. It's like eating with the band,, some things will go down real easy and some won't. It's just a learning curve thing. LOL.

I personally think its all in a patients mind. Some how they get the notion that after being banded they can't swallow a pill. Big vitamin pills never got stuck or backed up on me. I guess if your pills are the size of golfballs then I'd be concerned. The best rule of thumb is to swallow each pill one at a time over a period of time and see what happens. It's like eating with the band,, some things will go down real easy and some won't. It's just a learning curve thing. LOL.

FYI -

Actually the Dr's and on your paperwork it states that you can not take the whole pills after, you must crush them. I was just banded on 11/14 and when I got home I forgot and swalled my pills as usual, I called the Dr and he said to not do it again and to crush them, it can make your band slip, or get stuck. So its in the paperwork not in the mind. But maybe different Dr's say something else - just speaking from experience.

Congrats on your surgery!