Extreme salivating after a few bites?

I'm 13 years old and I got my band July 2008. I've had a couple of painful moments, and PB'ed twice in school, but I was back to normal after an hour or so.

This has been happening to me pretty often in the past month or so, and I don't know if it's what you call sliming. I'm not really sure what that is.

I'm eating a burger and some corn on the cob, and after just two bites, I get pain. Not terrible, but not at all pleasant. It goes away after a minute and then comes back, and keeps coming back repeatedly until one moment when I feel starving. I feel like I haven't eaten in a week and I start salivating buckets. I feel weak like I can't move much and I stay this way until I wait it out. Walking doesn't help. After a while, I feel the food go down and I'm pretty much back to normal.

Like I said, this has happened often recently, and this is probably about the fifth time. Any ideas on what this is and how I can avoid it would be great.

Son of floridamom

July-08 218 lbs., Nov-08 198 lbs.

I'm 13 years old and I got my band July 2008. I've had a couple of painful moments, and PB'ed twice in school, but I was back to normal after an hour or so.

This has been happening to me pretty often in the past month or so, and I don't know if it's what you call sliming. I'm not really sure what that is.

I'm eating a burger and some corn on the cob, and after just two bites, I get pain. Not terrible, but not at all pleasant. It goes away after a minute and then comes back, and keeps coming back repeatedly until one moment when I feel starving. I feel like I haven't eaten in a week and I start salivating buckets. I feel weak like I can't move much and I stay this way until I wait it out. Walking doesn't help. After a while, I feel the food go down and I'm pretty much back to normal.

Like I said, this has happened often recently, and this is probably about the fifth time. Any ideas on what this is and how I can avoid it would be great.

Son of floridamom

July-08 218 lbs., Nov-08 198 lbs.

Some foods are more difficult to eat than others. A lot of people need to be more careful with the "real" foods like meat, chicken, hamburger. I know when I am eating those foods, or trying to eat a sandwich, what helps a lot, even more than a lot of chewing, is taking much smaller bites. Because the bite size really determines how fast you are eating, and you probably are eating a bit faster than you realize, which means not chewing as much as you should. So take small bites, and then put down the burger until well chewed and swallowed. Then pick it up and another small bite. Corn on the cob you're probably not chewing that much, which is ok if it's just a little, but enough of that bunched together and you could get stuck. I've had this. The warning pain (unpleasant feeling) is your time to STOP eating, put the food down until the pain is gone. The salivating is your body's way of trying to digest the food. It happens even before and with the food getting stuck. If you have to eat so slowly that you really never get full, you may be too tight. Good luck.

Hi kiddo...

It seems as though you may being one or two things:

- eating too fast

- not chewing your food up before swallowi

It's tough at school and also, with you eating a hamburger, maybe the 'hamburger bun' is not agreeing with you anymore. Try not eating breads, as this either gets too 'dry' and wanting to drink something to get it down or it gets to 'doughy' and is stuck, while trying to continue to eat.

The other thing is corn. It is not suggested to eat corn, peas or carrots because it has a tendency to 'pile up' in bulk, therefore having a difficult time going through your pouch.

The key here is to eat in smaller portion size. Also, if you are stressing out, this would make your opening smaller and tighter and if you are trying to hurry and eat your lunch, forget it. You will PB or slime. If you know you are going to eat fast, choose wisly on your food choice to make it easier on your new stomach pouch. Instead of eating the whole hamburger, maybe eat just one half and take your time eating it and chewing it thoroughly.

Do take the risk of overdoing this to cause damage to your band or your pouch. Focus and rethink of why you have the band and go forward in a positive way. YOU CAN DO THIS! Keep us posted on how you are doing - Good Luck!

I agree with the others and if you are able to eat for the most part and there are certain foods causing problems, they maybe problem foods for you.

I cannot eat corn, I avoid it. I cannot eat anything with a skin on it, such as beans. Everyone has their own group of foods to avoid.

Ensure that you take really small bites and chew well and you will have no problems with extra saliva or sliming.

It's retraining the way you eat and it takes time.

Good Luck!