Protein: Moving Closer to Center Stage

Excerpt from: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsourc...tory/index.html (It is worth reading this article in it's entirety)

What Is Protein?

Protein is found throughout the body—in muscle, bone, skin, hair, and virtually every other body part or tissue. It makes up the enzymes that power many chemical reactions and the hemoglobin that carries oxygen in your blood. At least 10,000 different proteins make you what you are and keep you that way.

Twenty or so basic building blocks, called amino acids, provide the raw material for all proteins. Following genetic instructions, the body strings together amino acids. Some genes call for short chains of amino acids, others are blueprints for long chains that fold, origami-like, into intricate, three-dimensional structures.

Because the body doesn't store amino acids, as it does fats or carbohydrates, it needs a daily supply of amino acids to make new protein.

A 6-ounce broiled porterhouse steak is a great source of complete protein—38 grams worth. But it also delivers 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated. (2) That's almost three-fourths of the recommended daily intake for saturated fat. The same amount of salmon gives you 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated. (2) A cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein, but under 1 gram of fat. (2)

The bottom line is that it's important to pay attention to what comes along with the protein in your food choices. Vegetable sources of protein, such as beans, nuts, and whole grains, are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fiber, vitamins, and minerals; nuts are also a great source of healthy fat. The best animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you are partial to red meat, such as beef, pork, or lamb, stick with the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet: A major report on cancer prevention recommends consuming less than 18 ounces a week of red meat and avoiding processed meats (such as hot dogs, bacon, or ham) to lower the risk of colon cancer.

Jann

GREAT post Jann!

I am always looking for good quality choices of protein now. Protein is such a huge thing for us bandsters.

I don't always like sweets for my 'snacks' and want something salty, crunchy or chewy and now that I am starting to 'act' the health nutritionist at home, I am forever reading the Nutrition Facts before I buy.

I recently found a real cool source of protein. SOFT "Beef Steak NUGGETS" (instead of the rough beef jerky) at a Super WalMart. The brand is Jack Link's and the flavor I tried was Teriyaki. It's actual tender cuts of beef steak, mesquite smoked and dried and is 96% Fat Free. So, for 3 nuggets, it's 70 calories, 1g of Fat, 5g Carb and 10g Protein. Not too bad.

I discoved this while at the Cattle Call Rodeo and I had taken the beef nuggets as my 'snack' while others were having their hot dogs, cotton candy, etc. I took a protein water (Special K20) and I was all set. I didn't feel deprived or anything and I stayed within the guidline of my diet. I am proud of myself!

I actually had this for lunch one day, with a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, raw brocolli and my water...again, good choices of protein for my quick lunch for me.

I LOVE beans ~ all sorts of beans. I have some kind of bean with one of my meals every day for my health.

I can see my hair and skin a-glowing and know my muscles are firming up with all this walking I am doing as well (thanks to Taz's walk challenge).

Again, great post Jann!