quit smoking yesterday

doinitagann

So, yesterday I decided to quit smoking. It was in my devotions the other night that God calls us to do "now". Not when we are ready, not when we think we can, but now. So I have been feeling convicted to stop smoking for a while now and I was going to wait until after my first fill to do it so that I would not overeat. But it is now, now and not later. Make any sense?

I am desperately trying not to think about a cigarette and have the patch on but OH MY. Why did I do this to my body? Why did I allow myself to become a slave to everything wrong. Food, my husband and cigarettes? I understand that I was trying to cope with emotions that I have had for a long time but seriously. I could use a word of encouragement. I understand the wonderful things that are benefited from not smoking. ie the smell, the money, the health, the good example that I set for my kids. I also want to be obedient to the Lord. I know there are a few out there that have nipped this nasty habit in the butt and would love to hear from them.

This is a time of life changes for me. I plan to be a better person in general. Thanks to the God and the band, I am able to find a new self worth. I have a beautiful life ahead of me that only the Almighty knows about. I can say that, but I really don't feel it right now. :huh:

Heidi...sweetheart! You've made yet another GOOD decision! WTG! I'll say an extra prayer for your journey.

I don't smoke but I get the secondhand smoke, if you know what I mean. By you stopping smoking is another form of "cleansing" yourself of impurities.

Now, you will be able to smell the foods and aromas much clearer, your taste buds will broaden, your clothes will be brighter, save the money for the new clothes you will be buying as you lose clothes, and yes, setting an example for your kids so they will have a healthy lifestyle too.

Good Luck Heidi!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! I will most defitintely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You CAN and WILL do it!

I started smoking at 12 and finally quite on march 3, 1997 and never felt better. But, it was and still is the hardest thing I ever accomplished. Which only makes it feel all the better for having stuck to it!

You will feel that too!

I started smoking here and there when I was in my teens. Then I must have smoked until early 40's. Do you know? I don't even know when I quit? It was about 7 yrs ago. I just cut back, didn't think about it much, and then when I was around it ie: a bar or something, I would reek of the smell, and I just decided to try. Well, I'm happy to say, that I was just totally turned off from then. And I'm so much better for it. I can't stand the smell of smoke, or the after effects of it.

You will be so much better off. Try not to dwell on it. I know that's hard. Especially trying to diet and other issues you have shared with us.

I'm so glad I did quit, I look at women my age that do smoke. I'm 51. OMG their skin is aged! You will feel better, you will smell so much better. Your kids won't get second hand smoke.

DO IT!!!! Look at Jann....she can be your example. (Sorry Jann to throw you in there) ;)

I'm here for you!!

Tara

I started smoking here and there when I was in my teens. Then I must have smoked until early 40's. Do you know? I don't even know when I quit? It was about 7 yrs ago. I just cut back, didn't think about it much, and then when I was around it ie: a bar or something, I would reek of the smell, and I just decided to try. Well, I'm happy to say, that I was just totally turned off from then. And I'm so much better for it. I can't stand the smell of smoke, or the after effects of it.

You will be so much better off. Try not to dwell on it. I know that's hard. Especially trying to diet and other issues you have shared with us.

I'm so glad I did quit, I look at women my age that do smoke. I'm 51. OMG their skin is aged! You will feel better, you will smell so much better. Your kids won't get second hand smoke.

DO IT!!!! Look at Jann....she can be your example. (Sorry Jann to throw you in there) ;)

I'm here for you!!

Tara

hehe, no worries, Tara! But my ideology and this one may be very different. I'm not a religious person and I don't give up my personal power. I believe you have to take your own ownership and change because you've identified that whatever you are doing whether it's WL, drinking, smoking, whatever, is patently unhealthy medically, physically, emotionally, erodes your quality of life and has great risk to lower your life expectancy. You have inherent power within to say, "I'm not going to do this anymore" and you absolutely have to mean it. The early days of sustained change are black and white, period. There are no shades of grey. It took me 48 years to figure out something so simple!

I got up one morning and decided to put my smokes on the top of the fridge for the day. I smoked from the time I was 12 to this year. Do the math. I learned that I didn't want the taste of the smoke, I wanted the behaviours around it. Phone rang, reach for a smoke. Lull in one of my interviews, reach for a smoke. Contentious phone call, reach for a smoke. Bored, reach for a smoke. It goes on and on. Once my hands figured out it was okay for them to be empty it became second nature.

Like WL it's a process but I have not smoked a day since and my husband smokes ALL the time around me. In fact, for Xmas this year we're going to my family's in Ontario. I'm flying and he's driving (a four day drive) because he refuses to limit his smoking to one an hour in a crowded car. Our dog doesn't like to fly. The one thing that WLS taught me absolutely was if I could survive the pre-op on a Lean Cuisine and shakes for three weeks and a full liquid diet for 21 days I could pretty much change anything. I just apply the same strength and the same principles. Psychologically speaking, for the most part, repeating a behaviour for 21 days in a row creates a new habit!

Newton's first law of motion:

An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Keep moving forward and don't look back!

Jann

Guest CaraMBA09
hehe, no worries, Tara! But my ideology and this one may be very different. I'm not a religious person and I don't give up my personal power. I believe you have to take your own ownership and change because you've identified that whatever you are doing whether it's WL, drinking, smoking, whatever, is patently unhealthy medically, physically, emotionally, erodes your quality of life and has great risk to lower your life expectancy. You have inherent power within to say, "I'm not going to do this anymore" and you absolutely have to mean it. The early days of sustained change are black and white, period. There are no shades of grey. It took me 48 years to figure out something so simple!

I got up one morning and decided to put my smokes on the top of the fridge for the day. I smoked from the time I was 12 to this year. Do the math. I learned that I didn't want the taste of the smoke, I wanted the behaviours around it. Phone rang, reach for a smoke. Lull in one of my interviews, reach for a smoke. Contentious phone call, reach for a smoke. Bored, reach for a smoke. It goes on and on. Once my hands figured out it was okay for them to be empty it became second nature.

Like WL it's a process but I have not smoked a day since and my husband smokes ALL the time around me. In fact, for Xmas this year we're going to my family's in Ontario. I'm flying and he's driving (a four day drive) because he refuses to limit his smoking to one an hour in a crowded car. Our dog doesn't like to fly. The one thing that WLS taught me absolutely was if I could survive the pre-op on a Lean Cuisine and shakes for three weeks and a full liquid diet for 21 days I could pretty much change anything. I just apply the same strength and the same principles. Psychologically speaking, for the most part, repeating a behaviour for 21 days in a row creates a new habit!

Newton's first law of motion:

An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Keep moving forward and don't look back!

Jann

You Rock girlfriend, keep up the good work and WAY to shove the husband off for insisting on smoking in the car...period! second hand smoke is second hand smoke...pure and simple.