Airplane Ride Home

I am very interested in how everyone did on their ride home. Are there any tips out there or suggestions of what to do? Was it difficult to be in the sitting position for so long? etc.. Those of you who traveled alone, how did you handle luggage, or was everything carry on?

Thanks for responding, Anne

I made sure to check my bag, I didn't want to carry or drag anything around. I also brought a small light purse to use, but had protein water packs and broth cubes to add to hot water. I took advantage of the time waiting and walked and walked to keep the evil gas at bay. I had to get there really early, and then gave up my seat for this poor guy so I think I spent about 9 hours at the San Diego Airport.

It was a long day! (But I got some good carma out of it - so it was worth it)

I traveled alone. I took a very light backpack on wheels and seemed to manage fine. I had overpacked as usual, so once you pack take out half of what you have in there!! The plane ride was not uncomfortable. I had Gas -X strips in case but did as Lisa did and walked as much as I could at the airport before the ride home.

Thank you for putting that matter to rest. I too will also check in my bag. I am on a c-pap machine so I would carry that on with me to avoid any damage that may happen. Anne

Thank you for putting that matter to rest. I too will also check in my bag. I am on a c-pap machine so I would carry that on with me to avoid any damage that may happen. Anne

I have a CPAP too and please be very careful with it and do not let it out of your sight! At security they will take it to do a drug test on it, but tell them you do not want it out of your sight. See, mine was broken by security but I didn't realize it right away. So now I watch them and will know instantly if they drop it, because then they can pay for it.

Also, I stayed an extra night at the Lucerna so the plane ride home was ok. And I had a 5 1/2 hour flight. I took a great book and read all the way home so the time went by fast and I had no problems.

I told them that I had surgery, and they boarded me first all the time. Plus it helped that people didnt bump into me.

Mona-camille, Did you take it with you to the clinic? I seriously cannot go a night without it. I also just called the place where I got the machine (they are out of town) and they said they would fax over a copy of the prescription. Maybe that will help with the security issue.

Anne

Mona-camille, Did you take it with you to the clinic? I seriously cannot go a night without it. I also just called the place where I got the machine (they are out of town) and they said they would fax over a copy of the prescription. Maybe that will help with the security issue.

Anne

Yes, I used it during and after surgery, so it went with me.

There's no security issue really, they are going to take it from you and do a drug swab test on it is all, so you don't need a prescription for it. They are going to do that no matter what you say, it's just protocol I guess. I just want to watch them in case they drop it again so they can pay for it.

I never sleep without mine either. Ever since I got it. I don't like it, but if I don't use it I feel horrible so I always wear it.

Yes, I used it during and after surgery, so it went with me.

There's no security issue really, they are going to take it from you and do a drug swab test on it is all, so you don't need a prescription for it. They are going to do that no matter what you say, it's just protocol I guess. I just want to watch them in case they drop it again so they can pay for it.

I never sleep without mine either. Ever since I got it. I don't like it, but if I don't use it I feel horrible so I always wear it.

Me too! May we be lucky enough in the future to be able to do without it. ;)

My mother and I flew economy, and our seats were the kind where you couldn't life up the arm rest. I didn't have problems on the 3 hour flight back, which I was surprised by. I took a bottle of Powerade with me to sip as needed. There was some pain from the gas and incisions, but I took the medication they gave us at the clinic and that really helped. I'd recommend buying more of those at the pharmacy after you leave the clinic, just in case you need them when you get home. I had one carry on with wheels, and packed very lightly, and that helped. I was even able to drive myself home from my mother's place where I had parked my car to my place which was about an hour away in rush hour traffic.

Just had to comment again..

I had to use CPAP for 4 years because I gained weight ( at least that's what I blame it on). I had a repeat sleep study a few weeks ago and guess what? No more sleep apnea!!! I am free of the mask!!!! Keep this in mind as you lose your weight.

That's great news! I am not familiar with CPAP or what sleep apnea is...but if having the band helps get rid of it - WTG!

So you are home Vangirl. Way to go. I can't believe you drove home from your mothers. I have really enjoyed reading your experiences. PLEASE keep them up. Anne

I will know more tomorrow after I fly home. But, I went ahead an upgraded to a first-class seat on the way home. And, I will be checking my bag the entire trip. My last leg is on a itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny plane, so that may not make for the most pleasant last hour of my flight home. But, I'll let you know.

Kristy

My trip back was quite awful, but it was my fault.

I bought my airfare on Orbitz, and paid so much attention to getting the right outgoing flight that would suit my schedule on Thursday that I must not have paid attention to the return flight. I must have clicked the wrong one because I meant to leave at 2:50 p.m. from San Diego on Sunday. Well on Saturday at the Lucerna I checked my flight again to find out what time I would need to leave, and saw that it was leaving San Diego at 8 pm for Denver. Then my next flight was at 8 a.m. the next morning!! So I would have to spend the night in Denver before going back to Oklahoma City! Aaaa!

I called Orbitz and they said the fee to change the flight to the 2:50 one would be $180. I said forget it, and instead went online to buy a one-way ticket instead, which was only $99 for the 2:50 flight.

Well again I was not paying attention. Apparently it would not let me purchase a flight within 24 hours online, so even though I put in my search date as 11/23, it instead gave me all the options for 11/24. I was so intent on the flight times and prices that I did not check to see if the date was the same.

The driver picked us up at the Lucerna at 10 a.m. Sunday morning, and dropped me off at the San Diego Airport around 11:15 for my 2:50 flight. Well guess what - they said I was not on that flight but only on the 8 p.m. one. I insisted I had just bought a one-way ticket on the 2:50 flight. They finally found me on MONDAY's flight. Everything was booked solid for Sunday, and there was no other way back to get me to Oklahoma City that day.

I should have just gone to the nearest motel so I could rest, and take Monday's flight home. For some stupid reason I decided to stay at the airport all day until the 8 p.m. flight. It was a very long and rather uncomfortable day at the San Diego Airport. I had terrible shoulder pain and gas pain and I needed to do a lot of walking. Unfortunately I had to walk around with my luggage too because they couldn't even check it in until 4 p.m. I dragged it around with me from terminal to terminal. It was awful and I was so mad I didn't just stay at the Lucerna another day.

Fortunately I had my laptop with me and I was not hungry at all. All I ate all day was some juice and fro yo that I melted in my mouth before I swallowed it. I went online and booked a cheap hotel in Denver that had a shuttle to the airport.

On the flight to Denver, I was fortunately able to move up one row into the emergency exit row which was empty. This gave me a little more room. My stomach was very distended and for the first time I was unable to fasten the seat belt on an airplane.

It was freezing in Denver! I waited outside for about 30 minutes until the shuttle came. I walked around in circles around the bench to warm up and get rid of the gas.

When I finally got to my warm hotel room with its soft bed with pillows, it was probably the most amazing feeling. I slept soooo well.

Fortunately I was able to get a $120 voucher for the ticket I didn't use on Monday, which I will use toward my trip back for my first fill, but I spent about $65 on the hotel.

The lesson from this story is

1) Always make sure to triple check your date and flight times before you buy

2) Consider staying at the Lucerna another night before you leave, I think the cost is quite reasonable

3) Never let me book your reservations!

Amanda

I will know more tomorrow after I fly home. But, I went ahead an upgraded to a first-class seat on the way home. And, I will be checking my bag the entire trip. My last leg is on a itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny plane, so that may not make for the most pleasant last hour of my flight home. But, I'll let you know.

Kristy

Kristy, How are you doing? Are any of your experiences reflecting what we have been reading? Take advice from Amanda and check you itinerary LOL. Here is to a better flight home. Anne

Anne,

I'm doing well. I just got back to the hotel from doing some evening shopping. I came back and walked across the street to get some Gatorade and some popcicles. Yikers... the traffic is nuts! Say a little prayer before venturing into the crosswalk! No lie! Crazy I tell you. I fly out tomorrow. My flight leaves at 11:24 and Francisco will be picking me up at the hotel at 7 o'clock AM. I upgraded my first leg to first class. But, my second leg is on a itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny plane... I hope all goes will. I land in Durango at 4:43 and then have about an hour drive home. My sister will be waiting for me at the airport. All-in-all my experience has been wonderful. I find that if I take DEEP breathes the pain is extremely minimal thus far.

Kristy