How to drive over the border

Has anyone driven over the border to the clinic? If it cost to much we may have to that for my fill on the 16th. What do I need to know and do? Any other ideas? I don't have much time to decide.

Bubs

Has anyone driven over the border to the clinic? If it cost to much we may have to that for my fill on the 16th. What do I need to know and do? Any other ideas? I don't have much time to decide.

Bubs

Hi ~ I live in San Diego, 20 minutes from the border. We don't drive IN Tj at all. We find it is MUCH easier time-wise to drive to the border's Park and Ride parking lot and take the red Mexicoach bus ($6 roundtrip ticket, per person) to the bus station and from there take the taxi ($5 one way, for both hubby and I) to OCC.

NOTE: At this point, the taxi driver gave us his business card and he said he would come and get us to take us back to the bus station, which we did! AWESOME idea!).

After the fill, we called the taxi driver and he was there at OCC within a few minutes and took us to the bus station. We tipped him as he was very respondent. Waited just a few minutes more for the Mexicoach bus to board and off we went to back to the border, dropped us off at the door to Customs to be cleared (used our Passports for quicker service). In the meantime, the Mexicoach cleared through the border and met us on the other side of Customs (US side) and took us back to the Park and Ride parking lot, which we paid $8 for 4 hours (went shopping as well).

Hope this helps you!

Hi ~ I live in San Diego, 20 minutes from the border. We don't drive IN Tj at all. We find it is MUCH easier time-wise to drive to the border's Park and Ride parking lot and take the red Mexicoach bus ($6 roundtrip ticket, per person) to the bus station and from there take the taxi ($5 one way, for both hubby and I) to OCC.

NOTE: At this point, the taxi driver gave us his business card and he said he would come and get us to take us back to the bus station, which we did! AWESOME idea!).

After the fill, we called the taxi driver and he was there at OCC within a few minutes and took us to the bus station. We tipped him as he was very respondent. Waited just a few minutes more for the Mexicoach bus to board and off we went to back to the border, dropped us off at the door to Customs to be cleared (used our Passports for quicker service). In the meantime, the Mexicoach cleared through the border and met us on the other side of Customs (US side) and took us back to the Park and Ride parking lot, which we paid $8 for 4 hours (went shopping as well).

Hope this helps you!

Thanks you so very much! To ride the mexicoach bus do we need exact fare and in dollars or pessos? What about the taxi? Is not speaking any Spanish a problem? We have driven in Mexico before. We drove to Ensenada so I don't mind driving there. OCC has a secure parking garage I know. Have you ever done that. What about walking over the border and taking a cab? I'm trying to figure out all my options.

Pam (bubs)

Thanks you so very much! To ride the mexicoach bus do we need exact fare and in dollars or pessos? What about the taxi? Is not speaking any Spanish a problem? We have driven in Mexico before. We drove to Ensenada so I don't mind driving there. OCC has a secure parking garage I know. Have you ever done that. What about walking over the border and taking a cab? I'm trying to figure out all my options.

Pam (bubs)

Hi Pam!

Everything is dollars and it helps a lot to have exact. We bring lots of one's and five's. Everyone really speaks English, if not broken English. What we did was show the taxi driver OCC's business card and he knew where to go with no problem.

Walking over the and taking a cab is definitely another alternative for sure. I wouldn't advise driving in TJ ~ to hectic and congested and lots of construction going on. They have several roads blocked and if you don't know where you are going, it is NOT going to be a easy ride.

My hubby and I are going on Sat, Dec 20 for my 2nd fill and thinking this time to park even closer and park on the street near by a Jack in the Box, and walk the bridge over and then take a taxi to OCC, which they have a constant line of taxis ready for any takers.

Hi Pam!

Everything is dollars and it helps a lot to have exact. We bring lots of one's and five's. Everyone really speaks English, if not broken English. What we did was show the taxi driver OCC's business card and he knew where to go with no problem.

Walking over the and taking a cab is definitely another alternative for sure. I wouldn't advise driving in TJ ~ to hectic and congested and lots of construction going on. They have several roads blocked and if you don't know where you are going, it is NOT going to be a easy ride.

My hubby and I are going on Sat, Dec 20 for my 2nd fill and thinking this time to park even closer and park on the street near by a Jack in the Box, and walk the bridge over and then take a taxi to OCC, which they have a constant line of taxis ready for any takers.

Thank you again...this sounds like a more workable idea. My husband is not a big fan of bus rides and at 71 he is not about to change. Only your second fill and you've lost so much already. This will be #4 for me and I was banded on 7/21. I've only lost about 25 since then not including my pre op diet. Tou've done awesome!

Pam

Hi Pam,

We live locally too. My husband and I do not drive in TJ. It is crazy, hectic and they drive very different down there than they do here. We usually park in one of the many parking lots on the American side and walk across then get a cab. Most of the drivers know how to get to OCC but write down the address (or use a business card like Jazzy) on a card to show them. I also write down the phone number of the OCC "just in case" the card isn't enough to get me there. I speak next to no Spanish and some of the cab drivers we have had speak very little english. We also take 1's and 5's. It's a good idea to have small bills.

Good luck and have fun. We always go straight there and straight back and it takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours. Parking costs 8 dollars. The cab ride is usually 5 dollars each way (before tip).

If your cabbie does not know where the clinic is, remember OCC is in Dr Mendez's eye clinic, and that it is just a block from Costco. I usually tell them it's a block beyond Costco and have no trouble getting there. However, my daughter's cabbie did get lost and dumped her on the street once. Luckily the Mexican pay phones take US quarters, so have the address AND the phone number with you. (By the way, OCC sent someone to pick her up.)

If your cabbie does not know where the clinic is, remember OCC is in Dr Mendez's eye clinic, and that it is just a block from Costco. I usually tell them it's a block beyond Costco and have no trouble getting there. However, my daughter's cabbie did get lost and dumped her on the street once. Luckily the Mexican pay phones take US quarters, so have the address AND the phone number with you. (By the way, OCC sent someone to pick her up.)

Thank you, good info to know in case the cabbie doesn't know where to go. I will take everyone's advice and walk over the border and take a cab. even though hubby would rather drive. On the way back we just have the cab take us to the border and do the whole thing in reverse? I know itn takes a lot longer to get back into the USA than it does to get into TJ.

If we want to go shopping from the clinic on Revolution is a cab the best bet? I know we took some kind of bus from the hotel when I was banded. Any ideas?

Pam

If anyone does drive over - make sure to check your insurance coverage before you go over the border. Many don’t cover you when you drive into Mexico. However if you don’t have the right coverage and you still want to drive over, you can just purchase short term insurance for your trip.

Its best to know ahead of time!

Lisa

Yes, you just do it in reverse to get back home. HOWEVER, you must realize you will be on the opposite side of the freeway, so you have to walk a couple extra blocks to get back to your car. Walk north to the second light, then left over the freeway if you parked on the west side to cross into Mexico. The OCC receptionist will call a cab for you if you ask. If you need further directions just say you want to go to the border or "la linea" (la leenya, phonetically). Lately border crossings have been way down due to the economy, so getting back into the US for the last three times we have done it has been quick, maybe 10 people in front of us in line.

Yes, you just do it in reverse to get back home. HOWEVER, you must realize you will be on the opposite side of the freeway, so you have to walk a couple extra blocks to get back to your car. Walk north to the second light, then left over the freeway if you parked on the west side to cross into Mexico. The OCC receptionist will call a cab for you if you ask. If you need further directions just say you want to go to the border or "la linea" (la leenya, phonetically). Lately border crossings have been way down due to the economy, so getting back into the US for the last three times we have done it has been quick, maybe 10 people in front of us in line.

Chris - on what day are you talking about? The two times I went to TJ on Saturdays were huge, long lines.

If anyone does drive over - make sure to check your insurance coverage before you go over the border. Many don’t cover you when you drive into Mexico. However if you don’t have the right coverage and you still want to drive over, you can just purchase short term insurance for your trip.

Its best to know ahead of time!

Lisa

Lisa is right,, make sure you have insurance coverage. You get involved in an accident,, they take you to jail. The police don't care.

Bubs

same here....i park in parking lot...walk across...catch cab...it's super easy...show cab driver name/address of dr ortiz and most of them know where it is...during the week is the BEST option so you don't have the long lines

good luck!

By the way, you are doing absolutely fantastic. Way to go girl!

I had my own little victory last night. Went shopping at the mall and bought two pairs of size 4 pants that fit great. Okay, the fabric was a bit stretchy, but I still couldn't believe it. Hee hee.

By the way, you are doing absolutely fantastic. Way to go girl!

I had my own little victory last night. Went shopping at the mall and bought two pairs of size 4 pants that fit great. Okay, the fabric was a bit stretchy, but I still couldn't believe it. Hee hee.

THAT is sooooo AWESOME Chris!!!!! WTG! THAT is what inspiring me!!! Umm...I dson't think I ever wore a size 4 before? LOL

Congrats girl!!

THAT is sooooo AWESOME Chris!!!!! WTG! THAT is what inspiring me!!! Umm...I dson't think I ever wore a size 4 before? LOL

Congrats girl!!

Thanks. Never before in my life--i think I went directly from a kid's 14 to an adult 14 . . . and then a 16, and an 18 and . . .