Band over DS

jarvis

I have been unable to find a single person (anywhere on the www) who has had the band over the duodenal switch. Which I had 7 years ago, but have put on 50 pounds back.

I am scheduled for the band with Dr Ortiz on friday.

Anyone able to relate?

Thanks,

Cindy

I have been unable to find a single person (anywhere on the www) who has had the band over the duodenal switch. Which I had 7 years ago, but have put on 50 pounds back.

Anyone able to relate?

Thanks,

Cindy

Hi Cindy...I've a friend who is planning to have band surgery, as she too had the gastric surgery 5 years ago.

Good luck in having this done and would LOVE to hear from you afterwards!

Hi Cindy...I've a friend who is planning to have band surgery, as she too had the gastric surgery 5 years ago.

Good luck in having this done and would LOVE to hear from you afterwards!

I will definately be posting. I can't find a single person (which makes me feel like a bigger failure at weight loss- or lack of it) who had the DS. I plan on being a success story for the lap band!!!

BTW, thanks for the soup recipe...it was awesome!

Cindy

I will definately be posting. I can't find a single person (which makes me feel like a bigger failure at weight loss- or lack of it) who had the DS. I plan on being a success story for the lap band!!!

BTW, thanks for the soup recipe...it was awesome!

Cindy

GREAT I am glad you like the soup ~ er, which one? I've posted a few of them! HA!

Oh, I am very sure there are some people out there who had both surgeries and just haven't posted like you have. I am proud of you to post this for others to see that it is NOT a failure. Just happens and so glad you have ANOTHER option to help with your weight loss. You will do fine and others will see your success for sure when you post your adventurous ride on here.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone able to relate?

Thanks,

Cindy

Cindy, I had gastric bypass surgery in 1998. I had it out of state (where I originally went through all of the preliminaries in 1995 and 1996 and did not want to start all over). I never saw the doctor again. He always called me and asked questions, but never asked to see me (which I could have done). He called me 3 or 4 times. Over the 2 years that followed I lost 100 pounds. In the last 8 years I have put 60 back on. I have absorption problems and acid reflux. My primary care doctor is following these problems but has no clue how to help me with the weight gain. In fact, I was lectured by my doctor for re-gaining the 60 pounds. I am so ashamed that I can hardly look in the mirror. I keep hearing about the lab band programs and how you have continuous support and I am so envious of that. I think that if I had support, I might have kept the weight off.

How did you find the doctor to do this new procedure for you?

Thanks,

Becca

Cindy, I had gastric bypass surgery in 1998. I had it out of state (where I originally went through all of the preliminaries in 1995 and 1996 and did not want to start all over). I never saw the doctor again. He always called me and asked questions, but never asked to see me (which I could have done). He called me 3 or 4 times. Over the 2 years that followed I lost 100 pounds. In the last 8 years I have put 60 back on. I have absorption problems and acid reflux. My primary care doctor is following these problems but has no clue how to help me with the weight gain. In fact, I was lectured by my doctor for re-gaining the 60 pounds. I am so ashamed that I can hardly look in the mirror. I keep hearing about the lab band programs and how you have continuous support and I am so envious of that. I think that if I had support, I might have kept the weight off.

Thanks,

Becca

Hi Becca,

Please don't beat yourself up. I 100% understand. For the last 7 years I have done my yearly blood work with my original surgeon (also out of state), but have not seen or talked to him in 4 years. Absorption is also a problem with me. I now have peri-osteoperosis, I have iron infusions every 6-9 months, take 50,000 units of rx vitD daily..etc. However, that does not attirbute to our weight gain.

I did go to a bariatric doctor in Oregon who chuckled when I said I want the lap band. He said no board certified doctor would do the lap band with my "low" BMI. But I knew I would just continue to gain more weight. I have worked out 3x a week for the last year (I still am not used to it, and don't enjoy it) and have maintained my weight, but not lost any....due to my large appetite and addiction to food. Which lead me to Dr Ortiz (the Mexico dr on Oprah). I knew I needed help to get my food back under control.

We all deserve a second chance if we need one. The cost for "band over bypass" is (edited) with Dr Ortiz......Well worth it! So far I have lost 19 pounds...I see light at the end of the tunnel. My 67 year old mother had the band surgery with me on 12/12 also.

Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions. The support on this board is amazing, helpful and comforting!

Cindy

Hi Becca,

Please don't beat yourself up. I 100% understand. For the last 7 years I have done my yearly blood work with my original surgeon (also out of state), but have not seen or talked to him in 4 years. Absorption is also a problem with me. I now have peri-osteoperosis, I have iron infusions every 6-9 months, take 50,000 units of rx vitD daily..etc. However, that does not attirbute to our weight gain.

I did go to a bariatric doctor in Oregon who chuckled when I said I want the lap band. He said no board certified doctor would do the lap band with my "low" BMI. But I knew I would just continue to gain more weight. I have worked out 3x a week for the last year (I still am not used to it, and don't enjoy it) and have maintained my weight, but not lost any....due to my large appetite and addiction to food. Which lead me to Dr Ortiz (the Mexico dr on Oprah). I knew I needed help to get my food back under control.

We all deserve a second chance if we need one. The cost for "band over bypass" is (edited - please call for pricing) with Dr Ortiz......Well worth it! So far I have lost 19 pounds...I see light at the end of the tunnel. My 67 year old mother had the band surgery with me on 12/12 also.

Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions. The support on this board is amazing, helpful and comforting!

Cindy

Hi, Cindy. Thank you for the reply.

Did your insurance cover any of these costs? I have pretty good insurance and I think it would cover this procedure if done in the US, but not sure if it would cover in Mexico. I am not in the financial position to afford the amount you quoted. I am so unhappy right now and I feel like such a failure. I can't do much exercise at this time. I had spinal surgery last December and will have the second one this May. I think my back problems would not be so bad if I was not carrying around this extra weight.

Wow, your mom had the procedure with you! How great is that!!???!!! I hope you both do great! Please keep posting and I will follow your progress.

Becca

Hi, Cindy. Thank you for the reply.

Did your insurance cover any of these costs? I have pretty good insurance and I think it would cover this procedure if done in the US, but not sure if it would cover in Mexico. I am not in the financial position to afford the amount you quoted. I am so unhappy right now and I feel like such a failure. I can't do much exercise at this time. I had spinal surgery last December and will have the second one this May. I think my back problems would not be so bad if I was not carrying around this extra weight.

Wow, your mom had the procedure with you! How great is that!!???!!! I hope you both do great! Please keep posting and I will follow your progress.

Becca

Becca,

First, you're not a failure. And you have had back surgery, which is completely out of your control, which could be a large part of your weight regain.

To answer your question, I am more fortunate than some that I had the money in the bank to pay for this. I didn't even try to get my insurance to pay, simply because I could not find a US doctor that would do the procedure due to a low 31.5 (i think) BMI.

I read a thread in "general discussions" on this board ;ast week that talked about special financing deals for medical procedures. Sounds like a lot of people finance this procedure. Had I not had the funds, I would've too.

Hang in there and know there is a lot of support on this board, even if you haven't had the lapband procedure......we're all here for the same reason, being overweight and having a problem with food.

Best Regards,

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Becca

Becca, I feel your pain. I lost 89 lbs about 18 years ago on Weight Watchers and promptly gained it all back. You are not alone! I kicked myself for years and rejoined WW time and time again. At least you are trying to stop the gain at 60 lbs and not the whole 100 lbs.

I found a great website for people struggling with regaining after by-pass and other weight loss surgery:

http://livingafterwls.com/index.html

I am brand new to this forum, so I hope it was OK to post a link to a different web site. If not, please forgive me. :o)

Joyce, who is in the process of getting a lap band.